of strained meetings and lingering touches

Lucky Karma

A/N: recently edited- 22/07 

The long journey to Jongin's house was blurry and dull, Kyungsoo barely remembered any of it. Time past before Kyungsoo's eyes while he seemed to be stuck in restraints of his mind, running over the same thoughts repeatedly. How was he suppose to get through this visit alive and with his dignity intact in a state like this? 

While Kyungsoo was preparing himself for the disaster he knew was coming, Jongin didn't appear nervous or bothered by Kyungsoo's ongoing nightmare. He calmly paced beside Kyungsoo with a content smile, posture straight and contradicting Kyungsoo's own hunched back. They looked like they were from two totally different worlds, complete opposites.

Jongin stood out amongst the plain scenery with known arrogance, strutting tall because he was well aware that his appearance caught people's eyes. They practically trailed after him. Kyungsoo, however, shrunk in on himself, dark fringe falling to conceal his face as he shuffled along the pavement. His stoic demeanour was a dark contrast to Jongin's bright personality. One would best describe him as an evil parasite at Jongin's side, leeching out all the joy in the air.

Next to Jongin's wide, strong build, Kyungsoo didn't blend in well at all. Jongin's muscular shoulders were a large diiference compared to his own, narrow ones and he doubted he looked like anything but a prepubescent boy walking beside him. No matter how hard Kyungsoo tried to fade into the background, Jongin's loud and shining presence wouldn't allow it. It was just another reason why Kyungsoo found it extremely difficult to be seen with his popular companion; their realities were too different. There wasn't any known common ground that he could grasp between them.

Kyungsoo blew out an exhausted breath as Jongin continued chatting to still air, distractingly eyeing the empty streets. Every step closer to their destination had his mind pondering how his future meeting with Jongin's parents could possibly turn out. The many horrible scenrios flashed behind his eyes and Kyungsoo shivered, gnawing at his lip in dismay. Worry crawled up his spine, making his lonely fingers twitch for a familiar warmth, long since parted from Jongin's slender ones. Would Jongin's parents approve of their 'relationship' and accept Jongin's act as the truth? Would they even let Jongin explain himself?

Kyungsoo mused over the thought, brushing his anxiety away and eyeing Jongin from the corner of his eye, entertained at the sight he found. It seemed the closer they got to his house, Jongin's own worries emerged. His cheeks flushed a vibrant pink and his wet lips struggled to form coherent sentences- okay, no. That image was quickly going places Kyungsoo didn't exactly approve of and he quietly scolded himself under his breath, rubbing a hand over his smooth, clear face. 

The makeup previously covering his face had been washed away earlier in one of the various bathrooms around school because it wasn't necessary anymore. Not with the way Jongin strung him around school. There was also the added input of Jongin who didn't think it was very... appropriate for Kyungsoo to meet his parents looking the way he did. Kyungsoo agreed and damn was he lucky Baekhyun was no where in the vicinity to hear him mutter those tiny words. He'd be sick feet underground upon hearing them.

Shaking his head slightly, he faced Jongin again and couldn't help but roll his eyes at how obvious Jongin was making his worries present. It was almost painful to watch. Jongin stuttered out random sentences, eyes trailing over every detail around him, but avoided looking directly at Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo pulled his bottom lip between teeth, his hands in the fabric of his pockets to dull the urge to reach out and comfort him.

They were both dwelling on the possible outcome of this important first introduction, trying to distract their minds as much as possible before actually getting there. While Jongin continued flaunting his worries on his sleeve like an accessory, Kyungsoo was a lot more subtle in his actions, choosing to bite his tongue rather than speak out. There were many apprehensive thoughts swirling around in his busy head, but he voiced none of them, body portaying them instead. Kyungsoo's steps were sluggish and agonising, dragging the weight of his damaged pride behind him.

Damn his good natured, naive conscious for pulling him into this situation and refusing to utter the word 'no'. He knew this would be the type of situation he'd look back on when he was older and cringe in embarrassment.  But he couldn't blame anyone other than himself. Or Jongin. Kyungsoo never really identified himself as being a cold and distant individual, more like selectively social, choosing to speak to only a handful of people. Despite that, Kyungsoo still had a firm belief in random acts of kindness. Be kind to the world and it'll be nice back, so to speak. 

If those morals were the same ones that had dragged him into this situation, then he'd have to reevaluate which ones he lived by.

Scuffing the soles of his shoes on the concrete, he clicked his tongue on the roof of his mouth, eyes subconsciously locating Jongin's bare hands swaying by his side. They sure did look... lonely, practically begging for another hand to accompany it. His own hands longed to give in to his impulsive instinct and cradle them gently and Kyungsoo grew annoyed at himself for even having the fleeting thought, ruffling his hair in irritation. Why was he so careless whilst in Jongin's presence? He acted impulsively, willingly opening his mouth to offer up his opinions or thoughts and Kyungsoo didn't like it one bit. It felt like Jongin had wound a tight leash around his rational concious.

It was extremely out of character, but no matter how hard Kyungsoo tried to reel it in, one glance from Jongin's pleading, puppy eyes and he became completely compliant. Frustrating wasn't a strong enough word to describe his current emotions.

Kyungsoo scoffed at his own feelings, nose scrunching up in a clear portrayal of disgust. Why was Jongin so special?

 

Jongin spun suddenly, a forced smile stretching his lips before it fell upon noticing Kyungsoo obvious internal battle. He chose not to comment on how troubled his petite companion appeared and instead cleared his throat, slowing his pace to stick by his side. The atmosphere was heavy with tension and Jongin felt weighed down by the awkward air wounding itself around them. Kyungsoo was distracted by whatever war he was having with himself, not paying anymind to the presence strolling beside him.

He hardly noticed Jongin's proximity, staring blankly ahead in a way Jongin had learnt was just his way of pondering on an idea or thought. They brushed shoulders non too subtly and Kyungsoo didn't even blink. Jongin's long strides faltered in surprise and he took a second to stare at the shorter male, trying to solve the egnima that was Kyungsoo. One second he was too focused, eyes calculating and all seeing and then, as if a switch had been flicked, it was like he was hollow. Jongin didn't know what to make of him.

Kyungsoo was difficult to read unless he let an emotion slip unwillingly, a frown permanently edged on his features. Otherwise he didn't look affected by anything surrounding him. Ever. It was like someone had frozen his expression. Jongin sighed and caught up to Kyungsoo again, forcing his gaze to stay on the horizon and not turn to blatantly observe the gloomy boy in his company. If he did, Jongin was sure he'd get caught mesmerising every subtle detail and feature. And then he might have to give an actual explanation.

Jongin eyes suddenly lit with something mischevious and with a single eyebrow raised, he locked onto his target. Seizing full advantage of Kyungsoo's diverted attention, Jongin took a gentle hold of his fragile wrist, massaging the delicate skin located there. Even then Kyungsoo didn't react and Jongin blew out a breath in relief, smile proud as he guided Kyungsoo forward. As they turned the final corner and faced Jongin's street, he felt the full affect of his panic hit him like a brick wall.. He forcefully swallowed the thick feeling in his throat, hands cold and clammy with nerves against Kyungsoo's skin.

Pulling his bottom lip between his teeth, Jongin hastily wiped his free palm on his pants, sharply inhaling as they moved forward. A silent Kyungsoo trailed behind him and without even being fully aware, his main worries were all Kyungsoo centric. Would he be able to stay composed and calm in front of his parents? This had only be sprung on him recently, Jongin was worried how he'd deal with  it all, especially knowing how his parents would treat him. They wouldn't be accepting at all and Jongin feared for Kyungsoo's safety, the urge to bundle Kyungsoo into his arms and run to someplace secure capturing his heart. He didn't want to have to force Kyungsoo to do this so soon, but it was necessary if he wanted it to be believable.

At that, he knocked himself out of his daze, internally scoffing.

Jongin wasn't suppose to care whether they approved of his partner or not, they just had to believe in his act. Somewhere in the depths of his mind, he knew that wasn't the case, however. He only cared what they thought of his Kyungsoo and it was something he couldn't even control. What was Kyungsoo doing to him?

Clenching his teeth to keep in the worries he wanted to vocalise, he tugged particularly harshly on Kyungsoo's wrist, accidentally making the shorter male stumble into his rigid back as they approached his house.

Kyungsoo sputtered in surprise, his free hand instinctively resting on Jongin's shoulder blades for support. Jongin unintentially shivered at the contact, fantasies playing behind his vision and he silently hissed. Over the smallest of touches.

Clearly agitated, Kyungsoo hissed out a curse, attempting to pull his other arm from Jongin's grip to fully steady himself, but Jongin was adamant on not letting him go.

Kyungsoo settled on harshly grumbling a complaint. "What was that for?" 

Jongin blinked, quickly searching for an excuse for his rough behaviour. "We're nearly there and you looked like you were drifting off." He mentally sighed in relief, knowing he'd saved himself from an actual explanation seeing as they were getting dangerously close to their destination. 

Kyungsoo didn't respond, returning to his normal, tranquil attitude, completely disregarding Jongin's previous behaviour as nothing more than nerves. The clammy, restricting grip on his wrist didn't go unnoticed, but he decided to leave it, knowing just by Jongin's stance that he was bothered by their current situation. Kyungsoo understood how Jongin was feeling, he was experiencing similar anxiety; just better at disguising it.

Taking a deep breath to balance his emotions, Jongin pulled them towards the front gate, both excited and dreading the next few hours with his family. This was it, he only had one chance at making this impression a big one. It was more than surprising when he felt the comforting weight of Kyungsoo's hand rest on his shoulder, giving him a reassuring push forward. He briefly tightened his grip on Kyungsoo's wrist in response; thankful, before moving his hand lower, linking their fingers together for support.

Kyungsoo didn't pull away and Jongin shook his head, amused. He was far too nice for his own good. The loud, rusty creak the gate released as it opened was deafening in the silence. It grated on Jongin's already withering nerves, but he swept it away, squeezing the small hand in his as a distraction. They were both quiet, save from their rhythmic, soft breaths as they took slow steps towards the towering building, expecting the worst.

Kyungsoo tongued over his front teeth as Jongin lead him up the steps, eyes fixated on Jongin's shoulder blades. He didn't have the courage to peer past Jongin's muscular form to check the scenery so he stayed hidden, a shadow in the tense atmosphere. Every step seemed to be drawn out, echoing loudly in his ears and Kyungsoo wanted to slap himself out of the distressed state he'd found himself in. It wouldn't be that bad.

It was only Jongin's parents. His strict, cold, homophobic parents... yeah, he had absolutely nothing to worry about. It wasn't like they would murder him for confirming that their son wasn't... fully straight. Kyungsoo dug his fingernails into the soft skin near Jongin's collarbone, cursing his entire existence. If only Kyungsoo wasn't so forgiving and kind, he could've said no, but instead he was about to willingly walk into his own murder scene.

Kyungsoo was starting to question his own intelligence. Actually, rephrasing that, he already had been the moment he dragged himself out of bed.

The small space between the gate and front door felt like it took an eternity to cross, but then again, they tried to reach it as slowly as possible. Then, all too quickly, Jongin was face to face with the front door, staring at his own house with blank, frightened eyes.

Kyungsoo had the sudden urge to turn tail and run, but that wasn't who he was. He'd made a promise and he'd stick to it. He heard Jongin deeply inhale, his shoulders lifting with the weight of it and he raised a fist and raked his knuckles against the wood. The silence that followed felt almost mocking.

Kyungsoo could feel himself being pulled under Jongin's arm and pushed to the front of the taller male, but couldn't find it in himself to shake the arm off his shoulders. The beat of his heart was too achingly loud as it hammered against his ribcage, diverting his attention from the situation at hand. Jongin leaned down and blew cool air over the shell of his searing hot ear, shocking him from a trance. Kyungsoo shuddered, grasping ahold of Jongin's hand in a tight, bone crushing grip, trying to recover his scattered emotions.

Jongin grimaced in mild pain, but continued to keep their hands clasped behind his back, knowing it was they both needed. "Kyungsoo, please calm down. Everything will be fine." As soon as those few words had been uttered, Jongin wished he could've immediately taken them back and let the silence reign over them. 

Kyungsoo, who'd been adamant in not even sparing him a glance, instantly snapped his gaze in his direction. He pinned Jongin with a look that was filled with nothing less than fury. Well, at least he wasn't nervous anymore.

"Everything will be fine?! Jongin, are you out of your mind? These are your parents, the ones who you've 'supposedly' been hiding your uality from and you think this whole thing will be fine?!" Kyungsoo hissed, a shrill skepticism in his voice that had Jongin wincing. The grip on his hand only got tighter and Jongin knew the indents Kyungsoo's nails left behind wouldn't fade so easily.

Jongin opened his mouth to retaliate, to put both their worries to rest, but the startling sound of the front door being thrown open abruptly cut him off. They both spun towards the source of the noise, taking in the sight before them with wide, stunned eyes. Kyungsoo made a small, choked noise when he was faced with one of the most intimidating figures he'd ever seen. The woman at the door was tall and prideful, straight postured with her midnight black hair pulled into a high, tight bun and everything about her demanded respect.

She wore a wide, forced smile on her lips, contradicting the malicious, cold gleam in her eyes. Nothing about her appearance was out of place or messy, everything was preened to perfection and she knew exactly what type of aura she gave off. Her eyebrows were sharp and raised, staring at the pair in front of her with obvious displeasure, no matter how hard she tried to disguise it behind a sickly sweet smile. Kyungsoo usually gave people the benefit of a doubt, but he already didn't like her.

Something about her instantly drew Jongin's hand away from Kyungsoo and they both made space between them once they noticed her sharp gaze latch onto where they were touching. When she was satisfied with the distance made, the gleam in her eyes dulled a little and she redirected her calculating gaze to her son. "Ah, Jongin, you're home and you've brought... a friend..." 

Once the words had left her blood red lips, Jongin seemed to snap out of whatever panic endued state her presence had caused and stood straighter, rivalling his own mother's arrogance. While the two of them were staring down each other, Kyungsoo shrunk backwards, leaning up against one of the porch's pillars and crossed his arms, observing the scene. Confrontation wasn't really his thing.

Jongin was ready for a challenge, however. He puffed out his chest and his voice came out deep and harsh, nothing like his usual soft and seductive tone. It drove shivers down Kyungsoo's spin. Ones that he didn't quite know the meaning behind. "He's not a friend. Kyungsoo is my boyfriend and I don't want that title overlooked." 

The look on his mother's face; that could've cut through glass. Trying to save the visit from turning sour, or more than it already was, Kyungsoo decided he'd have to be the mediator in all of this. Attempting to make a civilised introduction, Kyungsoo cleared his throat and stepped forward, his right hand reaching out as an offering. 

All the attention was suddenly directed at him, but he forced himself to not shrink under their burning eyes. Neither of them were happy at the interruption. "Uh, hi. We haven't met before, but you must be Mrs.Kim. I'm Do Kyungsoo and I-"

"We're going upstairs to study. Don't disturb us." Kyungsoo blanked, regarding Jongin with a disgruntled, affronted look. He was trying to make this less hostile, but he seemed to be the only one that actually was trying.

There was a cold hand suddenly wrapping around his wrist again and Kyungsoo didn't even have time to blink as he was pulled forward by an agitated Jongin, stumbling non too gently into his solid side. It was kind of ironic how they were both annoyed, but about two totally different things- Kyungsoo because Jongin wasn't making this any easier and Jongin because all he wanted was to get his smaller companion away from his predator of a mother as soon as possible. For his safety. 

Kyungsoo tried to draw away from the taller male, momentarily forgetting about the scrutinising gaze tracking their every move. He made a low, frustrated noise and was about to shoot back a snide comment when Jongin jerked his small frame forward with him effortlessly. 

Jongin shouldered past his mother blocking the doorway, scoffing at Kyungsoo's weak attempts at struggling. If Kyungsoo really had the opportunity to meet his mother, he'd be out that door in a heart beat and Jongin couldn't let that happen.  He couldn't let his parents scare away his only hope of rebellion. Not when he'd achieved so much in the short space of a day.

Kyungsoo didn't even have time to look around and observe the expensive space Jongin lived in before he was practically dragged up a set of stairs. His head spinned with confusion and he sent a final glance over his shoulder, shivering as he locked eye contact with those emotionless eyes trailing after him like a hawk. Was that how people felt when they looked at him? 

That gaze pierced through him, staring into his soul and he was more than thankful when Jongin dragged him further from it. They were out of sight soon enough and Kyungsoo released a relieved breath he didn't know he was holding, returning his gaze to the aggravated figure at his front. Jongin pulled at him relentlessly, intervals of harsh breaths escaping him after every tug of his arm. Rolling his eyes in exasperation, Kyungsoo unlocked all his tense joints and allowed himself be guided through the house.

The vice like grip on his wrist twisted and he was being jerked into a eerie, dimly lit room, stumbling on his short legs as Jongin moved swiftly behind him. A switch was flicked and the room became illuminated, Kyungsoo standing in the centre, immobilised like a statue. He didn't know what to do, assuming it was Jongin's room and stayed silent as Jongin moved about, kicking his shoes off and getting comfortable.

Suprising to Kyungsoo, Jongin's room wasn't exaggerated or loud like Jongin's personality seemed to suggest, just plain and mundane. It was basically empty, despite a few clothes thrown carelessly around that was normal for any student rushing in the morning. Kyungsoo felt out of place amongst the stillness, standing awkwardly to the side as Jongin placed his bag on his bed, back facing him as he rummaged through it's contents. 

Wrapping his arms around his torso self consciously, Kyungsoo hunched in on himself, sighing quietly. "If you weren't actually going to introduce me to you parents, then why am I even here?" He underestimated the volume of his mutter, loud in the silence and Jongin spun to acknowledge him. Despite his eyes trained on Kyungsoo, his hands didn't stop their searching, albeit a lot slower than before.

Jongin's eyebrows were pinched together, still clearly agitated, but he massaged the back of his neck and managed to forcibly hold himself from snapping at Kyungsoo. His eyes ran over Kyungsoo for a short moment, noting his rigid stance and gestured to the empty space beside him on the bed, beckoning him forward. Nodding once as Jongin turned his attention back to his previous activity, Kyungsoo took stiff, small steps towards where Jongin was resting.

Shouldering off his own bag, he swallowed thickly before sitting a safe distance away from his supposed boyfriend, short legs dangling over the high bed. The only sound between them was the rustling of Jongin's constant searching and not quite knowing what to do, Kyungsoo rested his clasped hands in his lap. He knew Jongin had heard his indirect murmur earlier and waited patiently for an answer, a lump in his throat forcing any words surfacing back down.

Trying to stop himself from turning and getting lost in the way Jongin's muscles flexed as he made smooth, fluid movements, Kyungsoo's eyes drifted mindlessly over the small details in the bare room. The silence was like a boaconstricter, coiling around his neck and strangling his voice. It was not only filled by unsaid words, you could practically feel all their scattered thoughts bouncing around in the air. 

Kyungsoo tried to ignore it and the way his skin grew goosebumps, but Jongin wasn't making it easy for him. In fact, just when Kyungsoo was at breaking point, Jongin finally broke the insufferable silence surrounding the pair. 

"Trust me, Kyungsoo, they're not the type of people you'd want to formally meet, let alone live with. Just bringing you here could've caused some serious damage, if they way my mother reacted had passed unnoticed by your naive eyes. She's- they're- not very accepting of stuff like this, more into the whole traditional thing, so I knew this wouldn't be an easy route to take, but I-" Jongin paused, nose scrunched as he seemed to search for the right words, mouthing over silent ones before he found the right phrase. "I need to do this."

Jongin's confession only raised more questions and he was well aware of that fact, stopping his frantic hands to face Kyungsoo with an open, patient expression. The said individual twisted his body comfortably in the direction of Jongin, looking up; searching for something hidden in his irises. Kyungsoo fiddled with one of the buttons on his blazer nervously and Jongin nodded encouragingly, knowing exactly what type of question was hanging off his tongue.

"Jongin- are you... gay, then?"

Jongin felt his throat constrict as it was finally voiced out into the open, to the world and all he could manage was a slight nod. He'd barely admitted it to anyone, had only accepted it about himself a few months ago and actually speaking about it to someone, to Kyungsoo, was somehow so different. It was emotional. 

Kyungsoo peered up at him with a pair wide, sincere eyes and Jongin was too stunned to vocalise how he felt, mouth dry. No one had been so understanding when he'd tried to explain himself. Kyungsoo smiled, the first real smile Jongin had ever seen from the older boy and there was an under tone of sadness to it, of similar pain. 

"Me too."

It was only two words and Jongin wasn't very surprised, but it meant the world to him. Someone understood Jongin's pain, had probably experienced it himself and in that moment, he was sure Kyungsoo was the one. There was no stopping the swell of affection growing in his chest as he continued staring at the short boy, mesmerised by how angelic he looked. Jongin was getting attached and he didn't care at all.

Kyungsoo broke eye contact first, staring down at the carpet as his eyebrows pulled together and lips pursed in wonder.  He cleared his throat, coughing behind a small fist and uttered another question to change the subject. Their conversation was going down a deep, dark road that Kyungsoo would rather not bring up.

"So, uh, what are we going to do now?"

Shaking his head and discarding any distracting thoughts, Jongin's hands returned to their work, pulling out a large folder from his bag and setting it gently down on the grey duvet. He followed, lifting himself beside it and folded his legs, facing Kyungsoo cross legged.  Recovering from the earlier emotional moment, he grinned, clicking the pen in his hand. "We're gonna study, duh."

Kyungsoo let out an exasperated huff and faced Jongin again, features pulled into a skeptical expression once he noticed Jongin's cheerful aura. "Oh, really?" 

In retaliation, Jongin's smile just continued to grow and flipped to a blank page on his note pad, running a hand through his short hair. "Yeah. Didn't you hear me earlier. I clearly said studying. S-T-U-D-Y-I-"

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes, but the corners of his lips twitched, giving away his true feelings and he cut Jongin off as soon as he got a little too cheeky. "I just assumed we would be doing a different sort of, uh, studying..."

Jongin's eyes immediately lit with mischief and a surprised laugh past his lips at Kyungsoo's comment, scanning him in amusement. "Oh, wow, Kyungsoo. I didn't know you were that type of guy."

The look on Kyungsoo's face was defiantely worth the smack on his head that came shortly after.

Staring at him with narrowed, slightly annoyed eyes, Kyungsoo gritted out his next sentence. "What type of studying are we doing, exactly?"

"Well I've been doing some thinking-"

"That's weird."

"-And since we're sort of going out-"

"Sort of?"

"Okay, okay, pretending. Anyway, as I was saying, we need to know each other on a friendlier level, right? Get familiar with each other and stuff."

Absent mindly clicking the pen in his hand, Kyungsoo peered at Jongin with a thoughtful expression. "That's... surprisingly not a bad idea."

Raising an eyebrow, Jongin placed a mocking hand over his heart and feigned hurt. "Suprisingly? You had doubts?"

His reply was immediate. "Defiantely."

Jongin scoffed playfully, enjoying the content, positive atmosphere surrounding them both and smiled at Kyungsoo, who seemed to be appreciating the teasing banter just at much. Jongin wished it could've lasted forever, but he was smart enough to know otherwise.

His father would be home soon and there wasn't a single cell in his body that thought he'd be happy when he got here. Especially with Kyungsoo still in the house.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately for Jongin, the thing he was dreading the most closed up on him faster than he'd anticipated and as he laughed at a particularly sarcastic remark Kyungsoo made, he picked up on the sound of the front door slamming closed. His whole body went rigid as it reverberated through the house, an arm immediately shooting out to grasp Kyungsoo, shoving the smaller boy behind his body protectively. 

He stood from the bed abruptly, spine straight with nerves, but also determination. There was no way he'd back down from his father now.

Heavy footsteps echoed through the large house and approached his room and he heard an off handed complaint come from Kyungsoo, but shushed his elder quickly. A shiver shot up his spine when knuckles collided against the solid wood of his door. At least he had the decency to knock.

With a deep breath, Jongin mustered up all his courage in his voice and called out a command. "Come in."

Like the man Jongin knew him to be, his father didn't waste any time and instantly barged in. He was still wearing his work clothes and Jongin recognised that as a very bad sign.

The first thing Kyungsoo noticed about Jongin's father was his towering height and he suddenly understood where Jongin must've inherited the gene from. He was a few inches taller than Jongin himself, filling the doorway so completely that Kyungsoo couldn't help but shrink back, grasping the duvets fabric between his fingers.

Kyungsoo wasn't easily intimidated, but it seemed that was all people were doing to him in the last few hours. The man had very sharp features and cold, calculating eyes that demanded submission. Kyungsoo was really starting to understand what Jongin had mentioned about his parents. Neither of them looked like they were capable of expressing even the smallest gesture of kindness. 

Jongin's father stared hard, straight at Jongin for a several, long moments, face giving nothing away before he spoke two, booming words. "Downstairs. Now." And he was gone, heavy footsteps gradually disappearing from earshot. 

Both of the boys visibly relaxed, a tiny amount of relief settling in the air, before what his father said finally caught up to them.

Kyungsoo wasn't sure what type of lecture Jongin would be receiving, but he really didn't want to stick around to hear it. Neither did Jongin, apparently, because he turned back to him wordlessly, gaze not meeting his searching one and proceeded to hastily collect all of Kyungsoo's belongings. Kyungsoo blinked and didn't say anything either, watching Jongin move while trying to wrap his head around what had just happened. 

With a tentative, gentle hold, he tugged Kyungsoo off the bed, but still kept his mouth locked shut. Kyungsoo wanted him to say something, anything that could bury his worries. Jongin didn't utter a single word, just lay a comforting hand on Kyungsoo's lower back and guided him forward, a sullen and reserved look masking any emotions. The way down the hallway and stairs  was shrouded with silence that Kyungsoo didn't dare break. 

He allowed himself to be pushed forward, Jongin a comforting pressure against his spine and there was an unfamiliar, tight emotion burrowing in his chest, making him want to claw at his skin to be rid of it.

When they reached the front door there was a brief moment when Kyungsoo foolishly anticipated something. It was childish to wish for something as useless as a hug, but he still had and as the feather light touch on his back receded, he closed his eyes in disappointment. Being so withdrawn from casual human contact and then being touched as carelessly as Jongin seemed to engage was confusing. Jongin was clearly messing with his head.

With a small sigh, the door knob twisted beneath Kyungsoo's hold and the bitter night air rushed at him, sky a charcoal black scattered with tiny sparks above. Kyungsoo took one step out, ready to get as far away from Jongin before he messed up any more of Kyungsoo's senses. And just like before, Jongin choose the worst and also the best time to interfere.

A warm, muscular form enveloped him, two strong arms wounding around his shoulders from behind and pressing him to a solid figure. He was immediately encased in a familiar, soothing scent and he inhaled it deeply in bliss. Kyungsoo let his eyes flutter close at the contact and wasn't sure whether he'd really heard the tender "Be safe" that was murmured into his soft, black hair. He choked down the thick emotion in his throat and whispered back a just as tender "You too".

The arms slowly slid from his body silently and the door closed with a soft click behind him.

Kyungsoo was frozen for a second, stuck on the spot as the feeling of Jongin's touch lingered, a warmth seeping into his bones and deflecting the numbing icy air brushing past. In a daze, he set off back home, mind reeling at the events of the day and the knowledge he'd actually enjoyed most of it. It was so unusual, but he didn't regret agreeing to help Jongin and that's what was so confusing. Jongin was affecting him in ways he thought were impossible.

He barely remembered any of the journey home, only waking from his hypnotised state when he was standing inside his own dark and empty apartment.  The loneliness struck him harder than any night before and he dragged a heavy, exhausted body to his bed, nearly crying at the massive hole in his chest.  Too lazy to rid himself of his uniform, he collpased face first on his mattress, face sullen and void of emotion.

It wasn't new; this yearning for another warm presence to accompany his, but this night was particularly harsh and agonising. All he wanted was another body to curl around his own, cradle him in the silence and fill it with laughter. 

Kyungsoo curled himself into a tight ball between the sheets, hugging his own body desperately, mind wandering off to a certain individual. 

He didn't want to be alone anymore.

 

A/N: end of day one in the life of morbid kyungsoo. sad, sad stuff :c but don't worry, jongins gonna fix that hurt. hopefully... if he doesn't stuff up. or someone else does for him. (oh no that was so foreshadowing) i kinda hate how i wrote this chapter but psshhhh whatever, i'll attempt to fix it later. it's got over 5700 words so yay ^_^ peace out guys, i'll see if i can get another chapter in by the end of next week, aye?