Requests: Flying Over Dying

Genesis (Volume 02)

They said to get into S.K.Y

So we successfully did so.

But now we're just getting by,

And so to tutoring we go.

Requested by ß duixing (ø)

...xXx...

They stared across the table at each other, gazes fierce and tension high.

Finally, they both moved and in unison, reached out to each other so that their hands brushed against each other.

And then they smacked each other in the forehead with mutual groans.

"Nope. It's official. I don't get this," the first male declared, looking to the others. "School makes me feel like a failure."

"Youngjae, you and Yugyeom would get it if you studied," the one across from him pointed out, rolling his eyes. 

"Whoa. Leave me out of this," Yugyeom piped up, waving his hand though neither of the two seemed to notice his plea.

"Well Jackson, some of us didn't get into a foreign school with a scholarship," Youngjae complained, sticking his tongue out at the other two. 

"Actually, studying in a different language is much harder," another male pointed out, chewing absentmindedly on the end of a pen. 

"What Mark said," Jackson agreed, earning a roll of the eyes from Youngjae.

"Mature you two," Jaebum teased, eyes leaving the paragraph for a brief moment before flickering back and forth between the boys. "Still, I have to admit that I am pretty lost."

"See? And Jaebum's smart," Youngjae declared, pointing at the male. "Obviously our position is harder." 

"Well we're smart too!" Jackson replied, clapping his hand on Mark's shoulder. "And look at us struggling!"

Mark and Yugyeom shared a look after glancing at Youngjae and Jackson arguing. 

The door to the apartment swung open. 

"Hi guys. Sorry we're late. Had to drop off my sister," one of two incoming students greeted, dropping his books on the table with a grunt. 

"Hey Jinyoung," Jaebum stated, nodding at the first. Then the second. " 'Sup Bambam."

"What'd we miss?" Bambam asked, placing his bag on the ground as he took a seat. 

"Those two," Jaebum explained, gesturing to Jackson and Youngjae who were still trading insults quite loudly, "are arguing over what's harder - knowing the course material but struggling over the language or knowing the language and just not getting the course material." 

The three shared looks of equal exasperation and amusement as Yugyeom ended up dragged into the argument.

"Oh yeah; didn't you have something you wanted to show all of us?" Jinyoung questioned Bambam, one eyebrow raised. 

"Hm? Oh," Bambam realized, fumbling through his bag. "That. Where did I put it?" 

"Yeah? Well your haircut is ugly," Youngjae insulted loudly in the background, grabbing the attention of Jinyoung and Jaebum.

"We have the same haircut," Jackson pointed out, frowning. "We got it together!"

"We did? We did," Youngjae recalled faintly. "It still looks better on me than you."

"Found it!" Bambam declared triumphantly, freezing when he noticed all eyes turn to him in unison.

"So what is it?" Mark asked, encouraging the boy. 

"This," Bambam explained, ing the sheet of paper into Jaebum's hands, "was a flyer some girls were handing out at the library. It's tutoring lessons. The price is bringing food or drinks - at least enough to feed the group plus one."

They raised an eyebrow at his interest.

"And," he continued, oblivious to the looks, "the lessons can be done in different languages, including Thai, English, and Mandarin to name a few."

They immediately understood.

"But we go to S.K.Y," Yugyeom immediately protested. "We can do this on our own. Without help or tutoring."

"But we don't have to do it alone," Jinyoung pointed out logically. "Besides, I for one would much rather pass with help than fail without any."

They shared looks with each other.

"We'll try it out once then," Jaebum stated firmly. "And if we don't like it, we don't have to go back."

-oOo-

"Party of seven. Preferred languages: four Korean, one Thai, two Mandarin," she repeated, receiving a confirmation. "Thanks for heads up then. See you later."

She hung up, writing down the tallies on the giant whiteboard.

"Another seven starting tomorrow!" she declared, her voice echoing in the apartment. 

"If this keeps up, we might as well start our own company," another female mused, arranging the papers with precision. "With such a large session, I think we'll have to call in Seungyeon. What do you think Miyoung?"

"Actually, we'll need another Mandarin speaker because someone requested a Thai class," Miyoung stated, stretching. "Dari's taken for the Japanese class tomorrow so...Minjung then?"

"I'll ask her," the other promised as Miyoung grabbed the keys. "Hurry. If we don't leave soon, we'll be late."

"Hurrying," Miyoung chimed with a chuckle as they left, door shutting lightly behind them.

-oOo-

"The new seven," the girl greeted them, holding her hand out.

"I'm Jaebum," Jaebum introduced, taking her hand firmly. "I go to Yonsei with Bambam and Jinyoung over there-"

The two boys waved.

"-while Jackson and Mark go to Seoul National-"

The duo nodded, Jackson adding, "How you doin'?" though Jaebum and the girl didn't react. 

"-and Youngjae and Yugyeom attend Korea University," he finished. "We're all flatmates."

"Nice to meet you. I'm Sooyeon, one of the co-presidents. You spoke with Miyoung on the phone," she stated, walking and expecting the males to follow.

"I don't want to be rude but yeah, this probably is. What college are you and the other tutors attending?" Yugyeom asked, keeping his voice nonchalant.

"I'm on a rest year since I didn't get enough financial aid," Sooyeon answered, her tone carefully neutral before changing topics. "There were four tentative partners for the Korean class, right?"

"Partners?" Yugyeom repeated, taking large strides to keep up with her shorter but quicker ones.

"Students of our business. We felt that it was a better term considering how close we are in age with most of our clients," Sooyeon explained. "So I'll hazard a guess at you, Jaebum, Youngjae, and Jinyoung."

"That would be us," Jinyoung agreed, flashing her his trademark flirting smile - the one he used on all girls. 

"Over to the left here with Miyoung who attends Korea University," she directed without so much as a glance. Youngjae punched the elder in the shoulder jokingly, chuckling as they four left. 

"The one to the right is the one for Mandarin with Minjung. She's an attendee of Seoul National," Sooyeon added, glancing to her clipboard once more. "There were two tentative partners?"

"Me and Mark," Jackson piped up, smiling as he ducked into the class, his bright greeting audible through the closed door. 

"And that would leave you for the Thai partner," Sooyeon concluded, looking to Bambam. 

"Well, let's get started," she urged, holding out her hand. He blinked, surprised, but took her hand as she guided him to the next room. 

-oOo-

"We have to go back," Youngjae muttered, eyes focused on a far-off point.

"You're only saying that because you like Miyoung," Jaebum pointed out, chuckling. 

"She is pretty and cute," Yugyeom reminded, a familiar spark in his eyes. "If Youngjae fails, I don't think I'd mind taking her for myself."

"Well I won't be failing then," Youngjae snapped, playfully shoving the male. 

"Let's not fight," Jinyoung broke in, amusement painting his features. 

"Personally, I think Minjung was pretty hot," Jackson offered, smirking. 

"She was good-looking," Mark agreed, rolling his eyes. "But she's more likely to kick him than do him."

"And what about you Bambam?" Jaebum asked, turning to the boy. 

"Oh. Uh. She was pretty," he admitted, fiddling with his phone. The others turned to him, curiousity on their faces. 

"Oh my gosh," Jackson blurted out in realization. "He got her number." 

Bambam almost dropped his phone, face turning pink.

"Wha-This-I mean-" he sputtered.

"He did!" Mark agreed, smile crawling up his face. "Our little Bambam is all grown up!"

"It's just her work cell! We're setting up another date!" Bambam defended. They stared at him knowingly so he firmly added, "Not a date date. Like a study session date. Stop looking at me like that!"

They merely laughed as he blushed and rambled in defense.