Awake.

Welcoming Winter

 

I heard someone calling my name, I couldn’t get a voice pitch though, my ears felt like they had cotton swabs in them, and behind the voice was a steady ringing of a high pitched screech. I slowly found the rest of my body, and it was evident I was on the floor. I don’t think I had cushioned myself while falling, because my head ached, along with my right arm. I waited awhile longer before finding my voice, I made a small moan of acknowledgement to my steady name caller, and they heard it and started to shake me, asking me to get up. I nodded lightly, and slowly – ever so slowly – got up, resting the back of my head on the couch.

“Kibum-ah! Open your eyes!” I heard someone yell louder than before. I slowly did what they told me to do. The room was bright, so it took awhile for my eyes to un-blur. When I could see clearly enough, I took my time looking around the room, I noticed that the TV was all static, and that all the lights were out, and the only actual light was coming from the balcony window.

“Why are the lights out?” I asked in a slurred speech, as if trying to stretch out my words I open and closed my mouth at different angles  and then yawned.

“The power went out a few minutes ago; it just went back on when you woke up.” Jinki replied, I turned my head to my right, searching for his face. When I found it, he gave a ‘hurry up and get up, you scared me to death’ look. I nodded at him, and pushed myself up, using the couch as leverage.

“Kibum!” Taemin wailed as hit my side, tackling me to the couch. “I thought you were sick!” Taemin into my shoulder.

“I’m fine Tae, get of me please.” I said slowly, my head spinning slightly.

“Oh, sorry hyung.” He said and sat up on the other side of the couch. He put his elbow up on the arm rest, and placed his head into his open palm, staring out the window again. “It looks cold.” He mumbled, mostly to himself.

“How long was I out?” I asked, turning my head to Jinki, signaling I was asking him.

“About twenty minutes.” He said letting out a breath. “I can’t get a hold of Yeong-Ji, and I don’t know what room she’s in, or if she’s even in this hotel.” He said looking down at me now. “And neither Jonghyun or Minho are answering their phones.” He said, looking back out the window. I looked out the window too; I don’t understand why they were staring at it. It was impossible to see out of by now, just a steady stream of white light.

I suddenly felt something warm falling down my cheek; I reached up to wipe it away, and realized I was crying. I was crying. Why am I crying?

“K-Kibum? Are you okay? Hello? Kibum?” I looked up to Jinki, my face crumpling as I started to sob harder, he leaned down, as I stretched up to give him a hug, he held me and patted my back. “It’s okay Kibum, we’re probably over reacting, it’s a one in a million chance anything bad happened right?”

“You don’t know that!” I snapped, I was really sobbing now, I couldn’t help it, it’s like I got hit in the stomach with a bowling ball, all of a sudden I just couldn’t keep my composure and more. “I can’t take this! We don’t know where they are! We can’t get a hold of any one we know! Jinki, I’m going insane! This is retarded!” I stop to catch my breath, it was hard to breathe and talk at the same time. “I want Jjong here!” I screamed. Jinki stopped rubbing my back, and pulled back a bit to look at my face. My face was probably as shocked as his was – I had no idea why I said that either. And why so loudly? He was my best friend, and I just wanted him to be safe… Yeah.

I let go of Jinki, and slid to the floor. I sat with my knees bent out to the sides, with my hands pressed to the floor, and every so often lifting one up to wipe away the seemingly-never-ending tears falling from my eyes. I felt some one tap my shoulder, I sniffed and looked up to see Taemin standing there with a box of tissues and my iPhone. He placed the tissues on the couch, handed me my iPhone, and lifted me onto the couch. He gave me a hug, put my head phones into my ears, and pressed play on whatever song he’d chosen before hand, hugged me once more and walked over to Jinki who was now standing at the window – again.

For the first few songs –I think – I didn’t really hear the music, just heard the noise it made in my ears, but after awhile, I decided to melt into the music and let it take over my mind. It let me think calmly, with getting myself too worked up. I leaned my back into the couch and closed my eyes, concentrating on the lyrics pouring into my ears.