Chapter 6

Summer Vacation

[Mina's POV]

 

  It's finally Friday. First week of summer school - DONE. It was stressful but I had the girls and Joohyuk to brighten my days.

  It was currently 5 p.m and I was laying in my bed on my laptop, surfing the depths of Internet, peacefully watching Dr. Pimple Popper videos. 

  But the peace was short-lived as music started blasting from the room across the hallway. I rolled my eyes and cursed Hoseok under my breath. 

  Suddenly my attention was shifted to my phone that buzzed on my nightstand. I picked it up to apparently read a new text. As I read the text, I felt my heart flutter.

 

Joohyuk: Hey, are you free right now? :)

Me: Yeah, why are you asking?

Joohyuk: I was wondering if you could help me with something..

Me: With what? Stop beating around the bush :D

Joohyuk: My aunt's birthday is coming up and I'm having a hard time finding a gift...

Me: Sure, I can help you :) Just give me five minutes to get ready.

Joohyuk: Thank you so much! See ya!

 

  I didn't know whether to be giddy or aloof about the fact that I was going to hang out with Joohyuk. I mean, he's cute and kind - a girl would kill to spend some time with him.

  I had to get ready. I put my laptop aside and got up from the bed. What should I wear? I stood in my walk-in closet, looking for an appropriate outfit. I shouldn't look like I put much thought into the outfit, should I? I gotta look effortless but cute...

  I settled on a pair of light-washed high-waisted distressed denim shorts and a white long-sleeved crop top as it was late afternnon and I didn't want to risk getting cold later in the evening. I was too lazy to do my hair so I put it up in a messy ponytail.

  I took my phone, kicked my feet into a pair of white Converse and went out of my bedroom. I quickly made my way through the house as I got a text from Joohyuk, saying he was outside.

  I was passing the dining room when Hoseok bumped into me. Good thing he wasn't carrying anything, like food or a drink. I would have killed him for ruining my favorite white top.

 "Watch where you're going!" I hissed as I rubbed my hurt arm. Hoseok didn't say anything in response - just scanned my body from top to bottom. I felt insecure under his intense gaze and felt myself getting embarrassed.

 "Where are you going?" The boy finally spoke, making me frown.

 "None of your business."

  Hoseok then turned back to look out the big windows facing the front yard.

 "Such low standards." The male looked back at me with a scowl. "Should've expected it though."

 "Joohyuk is a good guy!" I was pissed of how Hoseok was acting like he was the best man that ever walked the earth.

 "If he was good, his girl wouldn't had to come to me begging." He laughed out loud like he just heard the greatest joke of all time.

 "Whatever, I've got no time for your funky ." Rolling my eyes, I stepped around Hoseok to proceed towards the door.

  But instead of reaching the door, I felt Hoseok tightly wrap his arms around my body from behind, completely capturing me.

 "What the ?!" I yelled as I struggled to free myself.

 "You really want to go to him that bad?" Hoseok chuckled darkly into my ear, sending a cold shiver down my spine.

 "Let me go, !"

  Suddenly, I felt a pair of soft lips press against the crook of my neck. I let out a hiss of protest as I felt him the flesh of my neck. My brain was going into an overdrive as I couldn't wrap my head around what was happening. I felt my whole body heat up, my knees went weak under me, buckling up. I would've fallen if Hoseok wasn't holding me The breaking point was when I felt Hoseok's tongue dart out of his mouth as he the abused patch of skin. I finally regained the power in my legs and, with all my strength, picked up my right foot and stomped it down on Hoseok's foot. Hard.

  The male immediately released me and fell down on his bottom, clutching his bruised foot. I looked at the mirror at the other side of the foyer and saw a purple bruise the size of a cherry tomatoe on the nape of my neck. He gave me a ing hickey.

 "You er!" I shouted as I felt my face getting red from embarrassment and anger. I looked back at Hoseok and saw him smirking through the twisted pain evident in his face.

  I took my hair out the ponytail, hiding the hickey with my long dark brown hair. I figured I couldn't do anything else, not even a band-aid could've hid the bruise.

 "I can't ing stand you! you!" I shouted at Hoseok as I stomped towards the door.

 "Sure, I'll be waiting for you to get home." I heard the male say and turned around to see him already up on his feet, hands tucked into the pockets of his jeans, smirk playing on his plump lips. "Just don't keep me waiting long, babydoll." He blew a kiss my way.

  I rolled my eyes as I made a flicking motion with my fingers to flick off the imaginary kiss. And after flipping off Hoseok, I exited the house, slamming the front door in the process.

  I took a deep breath to calm myself and as soon as I laid my eyes on Joohyuk, I felt relief. At least this boy didn't make feel like I was on a crazy rollercoaster ride.

  I loved the stability I felt being with Joohyuk, but at the same time, I couldn't deny the fact that I liked those wild rollercoaster rides of emotions I had never experienced in my life while being with Hoseok.

  I shook my head to clear my thoughts and ran up to Joohyuk as he noticed me standing on the front porch.

 "Thanks for being nice enough to help me." Joohyuk said as he gave me a quick hug.

 "Of course I'll help a friend in need." I snickered as Joohyuk smiled sweetly at me.

 "Then let's get going, my dear friend!" He swung his arm around my shoulders as we made our way to the bus stop.

 

----

 

  We spent over an hour going in and out of shops in the mall, trying to find the perfect birthday gift for Joohyuk's aunt.

 "Does she like grey or baby blue?" I asked as I picked up a bath robe. It was the softest bath robe I had ever held in my hands! "Oh, my God! It's so soft! I love it!" I squealed as I turned to Joohyuk. My squeal must have startled him (and the people in the store) as he turned to look at me with wide eyes.

 "I gotta admit that's nice." The male laughed as he the fabric. 

 "So which one?" I flashed a big smile to the boy.

 "The grey one." Joohyuk took the said colored bath robe from my hands, our fingers touching in the process.

  Joohyuk looked at me surprised and sheepishly smiled and turned to go to the cash register. I giggled as I saw from behind how red the boy's ears got.

  He paid for his aunt's birthday gift and we exited the store.

 "Are you happy with just one gift?" I asked as we both walked in the direction of no particular place.

 "What do you mean?" Joohyuk looked down at me.

 "You can get a plant as a bonus gift." I suggested as I spotted a flower shop not too far down the way.

 "She does like plants a lot..." The male said after a while of being deep in thought.

 "What's her favourite plant then?" I stopped and looked at the guy in front of me, anticipating an answer.

  But Joohyuk stood there, thinking long and hard. For over a minute, to be exact. I got the impression that I wasn't going to get an answer that day from him, so I took his hand in mine and dragged him to the flower shop.

  We walked into the shop and I told Joohyuk to look around and point out any flower he had seen in his aunt's home. Boys - so oblivious to details... I shook my head with a smile as I watched Joohyuk walk around through the aisles of plants. I would giggle to myself as I saw how Joohyuk would pick up a flower pot, turn it side to side, observe it for ten seconds, shake his head and put it back.

  As I followed Joohyuk, I also looked around. I saw a small beautiful succulent terranium in a glass bowl and picked it up.

 "That's the one!" I jumped at Joohyuk's exclamation. I looked at him with eyes wide as saucers, but seeing his proud facial expression made me laugh out loud. The boy took the glass bowl from my hands as I bended forward, clutching my stomach in pain of hysterical laughter.

 "What?" The boy looked confused as ever, seeing me crying from my laughing fit. "Mina? Are you okay?" But eventually I calmed down.

 "I'm good." I giggled as I wiped my damp cheeks and eyes. "You're just so cute!" I reached out to pinch Joohyuk's right cheek. He looked down at me shocked and I noticed his face getting redder and felt it warming up as my fingers were still gripping the flesh of the boy's cheek.

 "I-I'm g-gonna pay for this now." Joohyuk stuttered and backed up shyly as I released my grip on his cheek. He cleared his throat and walked away.

  I knew I got carried away in the moment. You're too ing careless, Mina. I hit the side of my head as I sighed. Joohyuk came back moments later and we quietly walked out of the shop.

  We walked in silence for what felt like eternity. But thankfully Joohyuk spoke up.

 "Wanna get a drink?" The boy asked as he pointed in the direction of Starbucks.

 "Sure, would totally love an iced macchiato right now." I responded with a sigh of relief.

 "Then let's go!" He laughed and we walked into the Starbucks.

  After we got our drinks, we went out through the other door in the coffee shop outside where outdoor seating was. We figured it was a good idea to sip our drinks outside and enjoy the sun.

 "So when is your aunt's birthday?" I asked the male sitting across the table from me.

 "Today." I almost spit out my drink from the answer I got.

 "And just today you actually thought of buying a gift?" I asked incredulously.

 "I'm bad at buying gifts for people.." Joohyuk scratched his nape and shyly sipped on his caramel frappuccino. I laughed in response.

 

----

 

 "Thank you so much for the help today, I would've been doomed if not for you.." Joohyuk smiled sheepishly at me as he held up the gift bags.

  We were standing at the Shin's residence gates, bidding our goodbyes.

 "But I don't do anything for free - you owe me one now." I pointed my long finger at the guy with a playful smile.

 "So whenever you're in danger, call me!" Joohyuk jokingly puffed out his chest like a hero.

 "Sure, Superman." I laughed and hit the boy's arm. I was surprised for a moment to find that Joohyuk's arm felt tonned. Well, I wasn't really that surprised since I heard he was quite athletic.

  We laughed together and waved bye to each other. Then I proceeded to go into the house. I actually happened to come back just in time for dinner.

 "You were out, Mina?" Mrs. Shin asked as I sat down at the table next to Hoseok.

 "Yes, a friend asked for help with buying a birthday present." I explained as I cut into the steak in my plate. Mrs. Shin nodded and smiled in response.

  The dinner went by quickly as we ate and chatted along. And soon I went up to my room.

 

----

 

  Satuday afternoon was quiet and chill. The adults were out on a date, which was totally cute. So the only ones left in the house were Hoseok and I. Even the maids were on a day off.

  I was watching TV in the living room, curled up on the sofa with a packet of crisps beside me.

  Suddenly, Hoseok walked into the room and ploped down on the sofa next me. And too close, for that matter. He had his arm resting on the back of the sofa behind me and his thigh was touching mine. I felt trapped once again.

 "Could you move a little bit?" I told Hoseok as I still stared straight at the television screen. I felt very uncomfortable since the incident the day before. 

 "No." He flat out denied my request.

  I rolled my eyes and scooted away from him to my right. But Hoseok followed after, to my dismay. Not long after, I was crammed at the end of the sofa with Hoseok still too close to me.

 "Don't you have anything better to do besides annoying me?" I asked with distaste as I tried to watch the documentary about sloths, but couldn't pay attention to it because of the male who disregarded my personal space.

 "Nothing beats the entertainment I get from screwing with you." The boy said in a matter-of-fact tone.

 " you." I spat out, a frown donning my face as I grabbed the packet of sour cream and onion flavored crisps.

 "You're boring; only words - no actions." Hoseok grabbed the packet as I was about to reach into it.

 "Give it back." I said sternly and held out my palm. Mind you, I was still concentrated on the sloth documentary.

 "Look at me and I'll give it back." The guy said in a flirtatious tone, I could literally hear the smirk forming on his lips.

 "Can't be bothered." I flatly responded.

 "You mean sloths are more interesting than my handsome face." I nodded in response. 

  Out of nowhere, the television screen went black and my sloths were gone.

 "What the ?!" I yelled out angrily and turned to my left to glare at Hoseok. He just shrugged his shoulders and threw the TV remote across the room. Thankfully it landed softly on an armchair.

  I immediately stood up from the sofa with the intention to get the remote. But Hoseok put up his feet on the coffee table, blocking my way. I looked down at him and he just smirked in response, putting his arms behind his head. I rolled my eyes and lifted my foot up to climb over the guy's legs.

  In the process, Hoseok caught my wrist and pulled me down and on top of him. I ended up straddling his hips as he still had grip on my wrist. I looked down at him with wide eyes as I realized I could feel his groin pressing against my southern region.

 "L-Let me go.." I stuttered as I was afraid to even move. I didn’t want anything worse than the day's before incident to happen.

  The male reached into the crisp packet with his free arm, took a crisp and brought it up to my face. It was a small one, no biger than an olive.

 "Eat this and I'll let you go." Hoseok said with a mischievous glint in his eyes and I knew he wouldn't just simply let me eat the crisp.

  I was damn ing rght; after he proposed the deal, the male put the crisp between his lips and winked.

 "You're a ing psycho." I felt my cheeks getting hotter and I didn't want Hoseok to see me flustered, I knew he wanted that all too much. I had to escape this hell. I put my palm on the back of the sofa and tried to push myself off the male.

 "You're not going anywhere." Hoseok tightly wrapped his arms around my waist and I was even more afraid to move then. The boy raised his eyebrows and leaned towards me.

 " you!" I started squirming; I was done with this and I no longer cared if something rubbed the wrong way.

  I knew there was trouble when Hoseok tensed up. He shut his eyes tightly and gritted his teeth. I was alarmed as I understood if I pushed his buttons even more, I would get into some even more unwanted trouble. Hoseok opened his eyes and galred at me. Thank God, he was holding the crisp with his lips - he couldn't say or do anything.

  I sat there on the male's lap, doing nothing - just keeping my eyes focused on the crisp packet on my right. I couldn't look Hoseok in the eyes as I tried to think of a way to distract him and get away.

  I heaved a deep breath and threw my head back in frustration.

 "You're really stubborn, aren't you?" I said and looked back at the boy. For a second, I saw something glint in his eyes, besides the mischief.

  He just stared back and tilted his chin towards me.

 "I can't believe I'm doing this.." I sighed and placed my hands on both sides of Hoseok's face. I looked nto his eyes one more time and saw how satisfied he was to see me break under such pressure and circumstances. I hated myself for getting involved with the boy. I leaned in and took the crisp between my teeth, which was hard to do as the crisp was so small, and I didn’t want our lips to actually touch. I felt my stomach clench painfully as my heart skipped a beat. .

  A loud gasp brought me back to reality. I quickly turned back to see every one of Hoseok's friends stand in the entryway of the living room, their mouths ajar.

  The realization of how wrong the situation looked hit me and felt myself getting hot and red from the embarrassment.

  Kill me.