Chapter 2

Summer Vacation

 

[Mina's POV]

 

 "Be a good girl and don't make any trouble." My mom said in a stern voice.

  After catching up a little with the Shin's, my parents decided it was time for them to go.

 "Okay, okay." I rolled my eyes, but hugged the woman nonetheless.

 "Don't get sick or hurt yourself." Minjun said with a warm smile and hugged me. I nodded and returned the smile.

  They also bid their goodbyes to the Shin's and left.

 "Do you want something to eat or would you rather go and unpack in your room?" Mrs. Shin asked.

 "I would rather unpack." I said timidly. Mrs. Shin ordered a maid to bring my suitcase to what was supposed to be my room.

  I followed as the maid handled the suitcase while walking up one of the staircases. She then took a turn to the right and walked down the hallway until we stood by the last door on the right.

  My room was the last unoccupied guest room. The others were for maids and butlers. Some were being remodeled.

 "Here is your room, miss." The maid entered the room and placed my suitcase on the floor.

  The room was beautiful. White walls contrasted with the dark floorboards, and the furniture was white.

  The queen-sized bed with white covers and white and light peach cushions sat on the bed, two white nightstands stood at the either sides of the bed. One of the walls was covered with full-length traditional windows with white window-frames. A study table stood against the wall across from the bed and a cream-colored couch stood against the wall next to the door.

  There was a walk-in closet too, but there was no bathroom adjacent to the bedroom.

 "Thank you." I slightly smiled. "But don't call me 'miss', okay?" I said and the maid looked at me in surprise.

 "I can't do that, miss." She shook her head.

 "Yes, you can. Just call me Mina, it'll be more comfortable that way." I smiled. "And what's your name? If you don't mind, I'd like to call you by your name, too."

 "It's Eunmi." She answered. "I'll leave you to unpack. If you need anything just call me or the other maids and butlers, miss."

 "Eunmi, it's Mina." I said as I looked at her sternly but in a playful way.

 "Mina." She corrected herself and I nodded in approval.

 "And where's the bathroom?"

 "It's just next door. You'll be sharing it with the young master." Young master? As in Hoseok? "His room is just across the hallway from yours."

  The maid excused herself, and went out of the room, closing the door behind her.

  I sighed and started unpacking.

 

----

 

  I plopped down on my back onto the bed in fatigue.

  After an hour or two, I finally finished unpacking. The walk-in closet was huge and ended up being half empty. But I figured that was a good thing since I was sure I was going to buy more clothes during the summer.

  A sudden knock was heard on my door.

 "Come in!" I sat up on the bed.

  The door opened and I expected to see Eunmi, but it wasn't her. And it definitely wasn't a female.

  It was Hoseok.

 "My mom said the dinner is ready and I need to bring you downstairs." He said, uninterested. I nodded and got up from the bed.

  Hoseok went out of the room and walked straight down the hallway and down the stairs. I huffed out an annoyed breath as I couldn't catch up with him.

  We walked through another archway leading from the foyer. The dinning room was as beautiful as the rest of the house. Same marble floors, gray walls, chairs and a long table stood in the center of the room, a fluffy white rug underneath, and neutral-clolored paintings with pastel blue accents hung on the walls.

  On one of the ends of the long dining table were placed all kinds of dishes. Mr. Shin sat at the end of the table and Mrs. Shin sat on his left.

  Hoseok went straight to the table and took a seat across the table from Mrs. Shin.

 "Take a seat, darling." Mrs. Shin gestured to the seat next to Hoseok and I did as she said, gaining a sideways look from Hoseok as he dug into his food. "Did you finish unpacking?" She asked as I started scooping the soup from my bowl. I nodded.

 "So how's your room?" Mr. Shin then asked.

 "I really like it." I said and offered a small grateful smile.

 "That's good!" Mrs. Shin clapped her hands while beaming at me. "I had so much fun decorating the room, but I was worried you wouldn't like it." The woman slightly pouted.

 "There's no need to be worried, you have a great taste." I said and felt the person on my left burning a hole in my face.

  I turned to Hoseok with a questioning look. He just blinked at me a few times and turned back to his food.

  I didn't think much of his behavior and just shrugged him off.

 

----

 

  After the dinner, I excused myself amd went up to my room. I was quite tired.

  I took my  pajamas, toiletries and a towel from my walk-in closet and went to the bathroom.

  The bathroom was different from the rest of the house; walls and the floor were covered in black shiny tiles. The bathroom had all the necessary things - a bathtub (which looked really inviting at that time), a shower and a toilet. There were also white counters with balck marble tops against one of the walls of the room, a white sink installed in the middle one. A big mirror with gold painted frame hung over the counters.

  While I ran myself a bath, I washed my face and brushed my teeth. When my bath was finally ready, I pulled my hair up in a bun, undressed and stepped into the warm bath. I released a relaxed sigh as the warm water welcomed me.

  But that peaceful and relaxing moment was broken by my phone ringtone. Thankfully, my phone was on a little stool next to the bathtub.

  I picked it up and saw it was Soojin calling.

 "How are you? What are you doing? How's the family? How's that son?" I didn't even get a chance to say hello and Soojin had already bombarded me with questions.

 "Wait up with the questions!" I playfully yelled as I  heard Soojin was out of breath. "Breathe." I commanded and Soojin obeyed.

 "I'm okay now." She said after a couple of breaths. "Now, spill it!" Soojin squealed in anticipation, making me roll my eyes.

 "I'm good, just a little tired. Soaking in the bath. The family is great, they're really nice and warmly welcomed me." I spit out the answers. "As for the son..." I trailed off.

 "What about him?!" My best friend shouted over the receiver. I flinched as her voice hurt my ear.

 "He's an ."

 "What do you mean?" She asked incredulously.

 "First of all, he didn't even properly greet me. He just looked at me from head to toe as if judging me, then he smirked at me and walked off. I can already tell he's cocky as hell." I began ranting. "And when he came to take me to the dining room when the dinner was ready, he was rude." I ended with a scoff.

 "But is he good-looking?" Soojin asked. I thought for a second.

 "Well, yeah..." I scratched my forehead.

 "Maybe that's just an act, you don't know." I could see my best friend shrugging her shoulders innocently.

 "Yes, I don't know him. But first impressions are always important and mine of him wasn't really good."

 "There's still two months ahead of you." Soojin reasoned. But I couldn't say anything as a yawn escaped my mouth. "Okay, go get your beauty sleep, babe." I hummed.

 "I'll call you tomorrow, bye!" I ended the call and decided to get out the bathtub, since the water was getting cold.

  After I dried myself off and got dressed in my pajamas - a pair of black sweatshorts and a navy blue t-shirt, I gathered up my things and went to the door.

  I opened the bathroom door and almost had a heart attack. Hoseok was standing right in front of me with his hands tucked in the pockets of his sweatpants.

  I stared at him wide-eyed while he looked at me blankly. He didn't say anything, so I stepped to the side and walked around him.

 "So you think of me as rude and cocky?" His voice made me stop as I was about to open my bedroom door. I looked back at him and saw him smirk at me.

 "Yes, and?" I raised an eyebrow at him. I decided I wasn't going to play nice anymore.

 "Doll, don't you know where you are?" He asked as he strode confidently towards me, stopping just inches away from me. "You're in my house."

 "So?" I folded my arms in front of my chest and tapped my foot on the hardwood floor impatiently.

 "You dare to insult the owner of the house you're staying at? You've got guts." Hoseok leaned in towards my face, his breath hitting my upper lip.

 "I'm just saying what I think of you - you're a rude, narcissistic, cocky ." I didn't even blink as I said that.

 "Doll, I'll show you what a rude, narcissistic, cocky I am." His wicked smirk got even wider as his eyes bore into mine.

  What's with that nickname? 'Doll'? He then backed away and walked into the room across the hallway from mine. Hoseok looked back at me and before closing the door, he mischievously winked at me. I scoffed as I rolled my eyes and went to my my room, too.

  I was tired and quite angry, so I went straight to bed.

 

----

 

  I woke up early - at about nine a.m. I got out of the bed and went to the bathroom to do my morning routine, then I went back to the room to get dressed. Thankfully, I didn't run into Hoseok.

  I got dressed in a loose black t-shirt and light-washed denim skinny jeans. It was simple, but I liked it. I combed my hair in front of the full-length mirror that stood in one of the corners of the walk-in closet.

  Since my stomach started to grumble asking for a sacrifice, I went down the stairs through the dining room and into the kitchen. There I found Mrs. Shin and a few maids getting busy in the kitchen.

 "Good morning, auntie." I said as Mrs. Shin noticed my presence in the room.

 "Good morning, sweetie! Did you sleep well?" Mrs. Shin asked as she wiped her hands with a kitchen towel. I nodded in response. "We're making breakfast. Do you like eggs and bacon?"

 "Yes, I do."

 "That's good! How do you like them?"

 "Scrambled." I smiled as Eunmi handed me a plate with scrambled eggs and bacon on the side. I mumbled a 'thank you' and sat down at the small table in the kitchen corner to enjoy my breakfast.

 "Mina, sweetie?" Mrs. Shin called my name as she stood at the stove. I hummed in response. "Can you wake Hoseok for me? And tell him to come down to eat breakfast?" She asked hopefully.

 "Of course I can." I wanted to say the opposite, but I couldn't.

  I got up and made my way to Hoseok's room.

  I didn't bother to be quiet and careful as I opened the door of Hoseok's room. I saw Hoseok lying on the bed in front of me, fast asleep.

  I looked around the room. Dark blue walls, hardwood floor, dark wood furniture. In other words, complete opposite of mine.

  I walked up to Hoseok's bed. He was sleeping peacefully and looked innocent. How can he be so annoying when he's awake? I sighed while rolling my eyes.

  I raised my foot and nudged Hoseok's back as he was facing the other way. But he didn't budge. I did that again, but only got a grunt in response and thought he finally woke up. But no. He turned and faced me.

 "Wake up." I lightly slapped Hoseok's cheek. "Wake up, you lazy ."

  Suddenly, Hoseok's hand wrapped around my wrist as I wanted to slap his cheek once more and he pulled me down while rolling on the side, ending up pining me down on the bed and hovering above me. I stared at Hoseok with wide eyes as my brain didn't have time to register what happened. A smirk formed on Hoseok's lips as he stared down at me.

 "Your mom said to come down to eat breakfast." I said in monotone after I regained my composure.

  Hoseok's smirk vanished and he frowned at me.

 "I didn't finish my breakfast, so let me go." I said and felt Hoseok's grip on my wrists loosen, but he was still above me. I rolled my eyes and pushed Hoseok away. He landed on the bed while I got up, I then fixed my clothes and went out of the room.

 

----

 

 The breakfast was quiet. It was only me and Hoseok eating in the kitchen as Mrs. Shin was out with her friends and Mr. Shin was at work.

  Hoseok and I were both busy with our phones as we enjoyed our breakfast. I was texting with Soojin.

 

Soojin: HE DID WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Me: He pinned me down on his bed when I went to wake him up.

Soojin: AND THEN WHAT?!?!?!?!!?!?!

Me: Nothing.

Soojin: WHAT DO YOU MEAN?!??!?!!??!??!?!?! NOTHING?!?!???!?!??!!??!!?!!

Me: Easy with the caps lock and the punctuation marks. Nothing happened. I pushed him off me and went to eat my breakfast.

Soojin: I hate you.

Me: Why?

Soojin: That's what I call "anticlimactic". I NEED SOMETHING I COULD DIE INSIDE OVER, WOMAN!!!!!!

Me: you.

Soojin: Get in the queue!

 

  I chuckled at the text and finished my breakfast.

  I decided I would go out to take a look around the neighborhood, since I didn't know what else to do.

 "I'll be going out." I said to Hoseok as he was focused on his phone.

 "I don't care." Hoseok said nonchalantly as he punched some buttons on his phone.

 "I know you don't, but your mother does." I said with a smirk, earning a glare from Hoseok.

  I ran up to my room to take my camera with me and went out of the house.

 

----

 

  The neighborhood was beautiful and I had shot a lot of pictures.

  I was tired from waking and went to sit down on a bench in the park. I took my camera to look over the pictures.

  I especially liked only two out of all - one that captured a duck floating on the glistening pond and one that captured two children playing on the green grass if the park. I was going to put them up on my blog.

  A bark startled me. I looked up and saw a big Bernese Mountain Dog running towards me, dragging a leash.

 "Hey!" I patted the dog's head when he sat down in front of me. He barked excitedly as I scratched behind his ear. "Where's your owner?" I asked as the dog stared at me, his tongue sticking out. I took the dog's leash, thinking it's owner will come looking for their dog.

 "Mac!" A voice yelled and the dog straightened as if he was called. I looked up once again and saw a guy running in my direction. "Mac!" He yelled again as his eyes landed on the dog in front of me. He ran to the dog and crouched down in front of him, and patted it's head as the dog the guy's face.

  The guy then turned to look at me and saw I was holding the dog's leash.

 "Thank you." The guy stood up and said to me. I took a better look at him.

  He was tall and with a nice built fit for a model, he also had broad shoulders. His hair was down, covering his forehead. He wore a simple white t-shirt and skinny jeans.

 "What for?" I stared at him confused.

 "You found my dog." The male smiled at me as the dog beside him barked happily.

 "He found me." I said as I returned the smile. "So you're Mac?" I looked at the dog and he barked as if saying 'yes'.

 "I was talking on the phone and Mac's leash slipped out of my hand without me realizing it." The guy explained. Then he looked me up and down. "Are you new here? I've never seen you here. And this is Mac's favorite place un the neighborhood."

 "Yeah, I'm staying at my family's friend's for a couple of months." I said as the guy nodded.

 "I'm Joohyuk." He stretched his hand out towards me. "I live close by."

 "I'm Mina." I shook his hand. "Same for me."

  Joohyuk stuck his hand into the pocket of his jeans and pulled out his phone.

 "My aunt needs me back at home. I gotta go now." He said and I handed him Mac's leash. "See you around!" Joohyuk waved while walking backwards with Mac barking me a goodbye.

  I smiled and waved back.

  A sudden buzz in the back pocket of my jeans startled me. I pulled it out and saw that I got a text.

 

Unknown number: My mom is worried about you and asked you to come home.

 

  I knew that it was Hoseok. I stood up from the bench and started making my way to Shin's house, while typing a text to Hoseok after I saved his number in my contacts.

 

Me: Tell her that I'm on my way. Where did you get my number?

The annoying : My mom gave it to me.

 

  I gave my phone number to Mrs. Shin during the dinner the day before.

 

----

 

  When I opened the front door, I was greeted by an angry Hoseok.

 "What?" I glared at him as he kept sending daggers with his eyes at me. Before he could say anything, his mother ascended the stairs with her purse in her hand.

 "Mina, we're going shopping!" Mrs. Shin clapped her hand together and beamed at me. I also clapped my hands as I loved shopping.

 "Mom! Do I really need to go with you?" Hoseok whined.

 "Yes! Who else will carry our bags?" Mrs. Shin said sternly and the male didn't have a choice but to come with us.

 "I'm so excited! I finally have someone I could shop go shopping with!" Mrs. Shin couldn't hide her smile as she drove us to a mall. I was sitting in the front next to Mrs. Shin while Hoseok sat in the backseat, grumbling to himself.

 

----

 

  A couple of hours latter, we sat down at a café. Mrs. Shin and I ordered ourselves some drinks while Hoseok slumped down in his seat after plopping the mountain of shopping bags on the empty seat and on the floor beside me.

 "I wish I had a daughter like you. It would be even more fun to shop with a daughter than with friends." Mrs. Shin smiled at me. "This little rascal has never went shopping with me, not even for his own clothes!" She looked at Hoseok accusingly as he rolled his eyes and focused on his phone.

  Mrs. Shin and I chatted over our drinks.

 "Mom." Hoseok spoke up for the first time in thirty minutes. "The guys are at the mall shopping for the last get-together before the summer school, so can I please leave? I have no interest in helping you drag your bags." Hoseok said plainly.

 "Okay, just take the bags to the car and you're free." Mrs. Shin sighed and Hoseok walked away with our bags.

 "If it wasn't for his friends, I'm sure he wouldn't leave the house." Mrs. Shin spoke after Hoseok left. "Hoseok is a nice guy, you just have to get to know him better."

  After we finished our drinks we we were ready to go home.