Chapter 3

Summer Vacation

 

[Mina's POV]

 

  After coming back home, Mrs. Shin and I went to our rooms to hang our new clothes. And when I was done with that, I quickly typed up a new blog post.

 

 Hey lovelies! How have you all been doing?

 Thank you for all the nice and encouraging words on my last blog post! I read them on the way to Seoul *sending virtual hugs to everyone one*

 You must be curious how is Seoul?

 It's pretty nice here!

 I'm staying in a beautiful mansion in a great neighborhood. (I'll put a couple of pictures I shot while walking around the neighborhood at the end of this) The adults of the house are treating me nice. Mrs. already took me shopping! And you know how much I love to shop?

 Remember my speculations about the son? I'll call him Seoul Boy from now on.

 Well, he's not as bad as I thought he'd be. But he's still pretty bad; he's an . He's good-looking yet an .. He's so conceited and annoying! I just can't!  (╬ಠ益ಠ)

 Even writing about him, I'm starting to get pissed!

 But it might not be that bad to live with him since I've met someone who can become my excuse to slip out of the house. I'll call him Dog Boy. (My naming skils are top-notch, aren't they?)

 He's really nice and friendly (so is his dog!) I think I'll ask him for his phone number the next time I see him, so I wouldn't need to sit in the park for hours just to see him. (I don't have a crush on him, if you think so from the way I wrote about him)

 Okay, I have to go now, I'm really hungry!

 

 JM going offline xoxo

 

 

  Since I hadn't eaten much that day - only breakfast - I went down to the kitchen to make something.

  The maids insisted on making food, but I just wanted some instant noodles as I have been carving them. Done with making them, I got a bowl and put some noodles in it and sat down at the kitchen table, leaving the pot of leftover noodles on the stove.

  As I was peacefully eating, I heard the doors open and close, and many voices. But I continued on.

  Suddenly, a blond guy walked into the kitchen and went straight to the stove. He didn't notice me, since the kitchen table was in the corner of the room.

  The male got himself a pair of chopsticks out of the utensils drawer in one of the counters and helped himself to the instant noodles. I figured he was someone the family knew since he knew where everything was.

 "Oh, my God!" The guy groaned and started stuffing his face.

  I just there and ate without making a noise, watching him, amused by the fact that he still didn't notice me.

 "Did you find food? Is that why you haven't come out of the kitchen already?" I heard another voice and footsteps coming in the direction of the kitchen.

  It was another guy. This one was tall with short black hair.

 "What are you eating so deliciously?" He asked amusingly, but the smile disappeared when his eyes landed on me.

 "These noodles are so good!" He slurred and turned around with a full mouth.

  He saw his friend staring at something in shock and turned his head to look at me, too. I finished my noodles nonetheless, ignoring the looks.

 "You can finish the rest." I said simply and got up from my chair and walked to the sink. I washed the bowl, dried it with a kitchen towel and put it back to its place in the cupboard.

  I looked back past my shoulder and saw the two males looking at me wide-eyed, the blond one still with his mouth full. I looked at them from head to toe while they returned the gesture. The blond one's cheeks turned pink and he finally began to chew.

  My lips formed into a lop-sided smile as I made my way out of the kitchen, and felt eyes burning the back of my head.

  As I entered the foyer, I saw another guy, taking his sneakers at the front door where many pairs of shoes already littered the floor.

  He was wearing a snapback and his eyes were just slits. He was staring at me in shock (or at least I thought he was) while his leg was crossed over his other one that supported him on the floor, his right hand gripping the heel of his sneaker and his left hand on the wall, keeping him upright.

  I shot him a look. What's with their reactions? Am I the first girl they had laid their eyes on in their whole life? I rolled my eyes and climbed up the stairs and went to my bedroom.

 

 

[Hoseok's POV]

 

  Kihyun, Hyungwon, Changkyun and I were in the living room, emptying all the shopping bags full of snacks and drinks we bought.

  Jooheon was still struggling to pull his sneakers off in the foyer, while Minhyuk went straight to the kitchen to find something edible (as always) and Hyunwoo went after him, so he wouldn't flip my kitchen upside down.

 "Why didn't you tell us that you have a girl staying here?!" Jooheon stumbled in to the living room.

 "What do you mean-"

 "Who's she?!" Minhyuk and Hyunwoo shouted as they ran into the room, pushing Jooheon out of the way. Minhyuk was still chewing something.

 "What's with you three?" Kihyun shot a dirty look at the three males, who looked shocked yet curious and excited.

 "She's my family's friends' daughter and she came to Seoul for summer school." I explained after casually plopping down on the couch.

 "What's her name?"

 "How old is she?"

 "Is she single?"

  All these questions irked me.

 "If you're so interested in her, why don't you go and ask her yourself?" I glared at them as I opened a bag of potato chips and stuffed a few into my mouth.

 "We're strangers. How can we go and interrogate her?" Minhyuk propped his hands on his hips while Hyunwoo and Jooheon nodded.

 "I don't care." I ignored their pleas and continued to stuff my mouth angrily.

 

[Mina's POV]

 

  As I sat on my bed in my room, I heard yells downstairs. Boys... I rolled my eys.

  My phone started buzzing aggressively on the nightstand.

  I chuckled to myself as I pushed the 'answer' button on the screen and raised the device up to my ear.

 "You're pretty slow, Soojin. I thought you would be like a guard dog, sitting at your laptop and waiting for a new blog post." I teased my best friend.

 "Who's the Dog Boy?! You didn't tell me about him!" Soojin yelled through the receiver.

 "Because I met him after I texted you this morning." I said calmly.

 "Tell me the details!" She rushed and I told her everything.

 "You're lucky.." Soojin grumbled. "If I was this lucky, I wouldn't be single right now..."

 "What's wrong with being single?"

 "Well, I'd love to have someone to cuddle with while you're gone. I get lonely, you know!" My best friend whined as I laughed. "What are you doing?"

 "With my laptop in my room." I said and Soojin hummed in response. "And the 's friends are downstairs."

 "Why do you always leave the most interesting parts out?! I hate you!" Her voice went a few octaves higher and I pulled my phone away from my ear.

 "I love you, too!" I laughed. "The said something about a last get-together before the start of the summer school."

 "So they're going, too?"

 "I guess so." I shrugged my shoulders.

 "How are you doing? How's your mother?" I asked.

 "We're good. I'm bored without you here, and my mother misses you already."

 "Tell her that I miss her, too, and her delicious cooking." My mouth started to water at the thought of Mrs. Han's kimchi stew.

  After chatting some more, we said our goodbyes.

  Since it was still too early to get ready for bed, I decided to watch my favorite TV show - Game Of Thrones.

  And that's how my day ended.

 

----

 

  It was monday and the first day of summer school.

  As much as I didn't want to I had to get up to get ready.

  I got washed up and got dressed. I chose to wear black high-waisted skinny jeans, a white and black striped t-shirt and a denim jacket on top of it. As for the shoes - black Converse. I pulled my hair up in a ponytail leaving a few strands out to frame my face.

  Then I went downstairs.

 "Good morning!" Mrs. Shin beamed as I entered the dining room. Mr. Shin smiled as he sat at the table.

 "Good morning." I smiled as I greeted her and her husband.

 "Are you ready for the first day of summer school?" Mr. Shin asked as I poured chocolate syrup on the waffles on my plate.

 "I guess I am." I shrugged my shoulders as I cut into one of the waffles with a knife.

  I was feeling quite anxious about my first day there. I knew there would be people who already knew each other. I knew form my mom that the school were classes will be taking place had alot of students who chose summer school. I was nervous if I was going to be all alone for those six weeks monts or not.

 "Where's Hoseok?" Mrs. Shin looked at the clock hanging on the wall behind her worriedely. "Don't tell ne he's still asleep-"

  At those words, I heard someone ascending the stairs and a tired Hoseok walked into the room and slumped down in the chair next to me.

 "Good morning!" Mrs. Shin greeted Hoseok. He angrily grumbled something under his breath, poured some maple syrup on his waffles and began to eat.

 "Rough morning..." Mr. Shin chuckled at the boy. And we all let ourselves enjoy our breakfast.

 

----

 

  When we all finished our breakfast, everyone stood up from their seats and went their separate ways. For me and Hoseok - we went up the stairs.

 "Hoseok!" We heard Mrs. Shin call out from the base of the stairs.

 "Yeah?" Hoseok asked, uninterested.

 "Take Mina to school with you, she doesn't know where the school is." Hoseok continued his way down the hall to his bedroom without giving a response to his mother.

 "I'm not taking you to school." I heard Hoseok say behind me as I opened the door to my bedroom.

 "Whatever. I don't need you to take me anyways." I rolled my eyes at the male and left my door open as I went straight to the walk-in closet to get my black backpack.

  As I checked if I had everything, Hoseok still stood at his bedroom's door. I felt his questioning stare on me, but I decided to ignore it.

  I had the address of the school and the night before I saved the whole route to the school in Google Maps app on my phone.

  I left the house with a smirk on my face.

  The walk to school was - as Google Maps had calculated - 20 minutes. It was nice to stroll.

  As I waited at an intersection for a green light for the pedestrians, I heard a bicycle coming from behind. I moved a little to the left as the person jumped off his bike and stood next to me.

 "As much as I love Mac, all this dog hair is annoying..." The person said with a sigh. It was a male with a voice I recognized. Mac? I turned to look at male.

 "Joohyuk?" I called out and the male turned his head  in shock to look at me.

 "Mina! I never thought I'd meet you at an intersection." Joohyuk laughed as I smiled in response. "Where are you headed to?" He asked as we made our way across the road as the green man lit up on the traffic-light.

 "Summer school. That's the reason I came to Seoul, too." I sighed heavily.

 "Really? Me, too!" Joohyuk looked at me shocked. "Genie High?"

 "Yeah! You're going there, too?" I was happy I would at least have a person I knew and was on good terms with in the summer school.

 "Yeah!" He looked at me with a toothy smile. "This is so great!"

 

----

 

[Hoseok's POV]

 

  I left the house just a few minutes after Mina did. And walked behind her the whole time, checking if she really knew the way to the Genie High.

  As Mina stopped at an intersection, I did, too, but maintained a distance. A bicycle zoomed past me and I almost cursed at the guy, but kept my cool.

  I saw him stand next to Mina. Then the latter turned at the guy next to her and smiled.

  I peered at the guy to get a better look at his face. Maybe he goes to the same school? I finally got a better view of his face when he flashed a big smile to Mina.

  I know that smile..

  Nam. ing. Joohyuk.

  We had some history between us.

  He had a girlfriend and while his girlfriend was dating him, she confessed to me and broke up with him. Since then we have been on bad terms.

  He also beat me in studies and tried to get the team captain spot on our school's soccer team when he knew I was trying out for that spot. But I still got it, since I was better than that loser.

  When did she get so chummy with that er? I frowned at the couple in front of me.

 "Hoseok!" I heard someone yell behind me. I turned around and was greeted by my friends.

 "Wait!" Minhyuk suddenly shouted as we all talked about the summer school being a pain in the , but all of our parents decided we needed some help with our studies.

 "What?!" Jooheon shouted back.

 "Isn't that the girl that lives with you?!" Minhyuk started slapping my arm and pointed at Mina who chatted with Joohyun ahead of us.

 "Yes, so what?" I slapped his hands away from my arm as his slaps were painful against my arm.

 "Is that Joohyuk she's talking to?" Hyunwoo squinted his eyes at the pair with a frown.

 "How do they know each other?" Changkyun asked me as all of the guys had frowns while looking at Mina and Joohyuk.

 "Don't ask me! How would I know?" I responded, irritated.

 

----

 

[Mina's POV]

 

  Students were divided into twenty-four groups and every group had its classroom where all the lessons would take place. The list of groups was put up on the bulletin board.

  Joohyuk and I went up to the bulletin board in front of the school after Joohyuk parked his bicycle.

  I looked through the list trying to find my name.

 "I'm in the Group 9. Which one are you in?" I asked Joohyuk as I read the other names that were listed under the Group 9.

  A particular name caught my eye.

  Shin Hoseok.

  I sighed.

 "I'm in the Group 4." Joohyuk said in a disappointed tone.

 "But we'll still see each other during breaks." I smiled at him.

 "Yes, that's true!" Joohyuk's spirits seemed to have lifted at my words as he smiled.

  After that we bid each other goodbyes and went to find our respectful classes.

  I heavily sighed and opened the door of my classroom, catching the attention of the students who were already there.

  They seemed to already be in pairs or groups, so I figured they knew each other.

  I felt nervous as everyone was staring at me, some looked like they were curious about who I was and some - like they were judging me.

  I kept my head lowered as I made my way to the back of the classroom and sat down at a desk next to the window. I placed my backpack on top of the table and laid my head and arms on it.

  I hate this. I sighed once again and closed my eyes as students around me got back to their conversations, their voices growing too loud for my liking.

  Out of nowhere, squeals and loud groans erupted.

 "I can't believe Hoseok will be in the same group as us!" I heard a couple girls squeal in front of me.

 "I can't believe that guy will be in the same group as us. I already had my eye on some cute girls here!" A guy said.

  Don't tell me.. I raised my head up from my backpack and saw Hoseok and two of his friends - one with blonde hair, but I haven't seen the other one who had a poker face - standing beside him as they stopped at the front of the class, looking around, probably searching for empty seats.

   Hoseok looked towards me and smirked. I quickly looked beside me and saw that there were three empty seats beside me.

  Christ on a bike. I slammed my head back down on my backpack.

  I heard the chair beside me being pulled back while the whole classroom sat in silence.

 "Hi!"

  I opened my eyes and saw that Hoseok had sat down beside me, the unknown one next to him and the blond one who ate my instant noodles sat the furthest from me.

 "I'm Minhyuk!" The blond one beamed, his eyes turning into new moon shapes.

 "Mina." I said as I pulled a textbook and a pencil case out of my backpack. I looked up for a moment and saw everyone staring at me.

 "This guy right here is Changkyun." Minhyuk patted the poker-faced male on the head.

 "What did we talk about you patting my head." The male's question sounded more like a statement. But surprisingly, his voice was deep, unfit for his baby face. "Nice to meet you." He then turned to me, his poker face looking more friendly than scary. I nodded.

 "Those noodles were that delicious that you ate the whole pot?" I asked as I took my pen and started scribbling on the corner of my textbook.

 "Yes, they were delicious!" Minhyuk exclaimed, making people around us start whispering. "Weren't they, Changkyun?"

 "Yeah, totally." His voice sounded cool. I nodded.

 "Why are you guys trying to get friendly with her?" Hoseok said to the two males as if I wasn't there, sitting right beside him. I glared at the back of his head.

 "If you're not getting friendly with her, does that mean we have to do the same?" Minhyuk asked with a pout.

 "Ye-"

 "Good morning! Everyone, take your seats!" A young woman entered the classroom and students scurried away to their seats. "I'm Kim Taeyeon and I'll be your teacher for the summer school! I hope you're ready for six weeks of summer school and are going to put your all in studying." A bored 'yes' echoed through the classroom. "First, roll call!"

 "Ahn Yewon?"

 "Here!"

 "Bae Juhyun?"

 "Here!"

 "Baek Baekhyun?"

 "Here!"

 "Jeung Mina?"

 "Here." I said, bored.

 "Kang Seulgi?"

  And that's how the first period went on.

 

----

 

  The bell rang indicating it was the break.

  Thankfully, Hoseok and his friends walked out of the classroom like the majority of the students.

  I sighed and looked out the window and watched a few guys kicking a soccer ball back and fourth on the green field. How can they have so much energy so early in the morning?

 "Hi there!" A high voice called out. I turned to look at two girls who stood in front of my desk.

 "Hi." I smiled a small smile.

 "I'm Park Sooyoung!" The girl with orange hair introduced herself.

 "I'm Bae Juhyun! Are you new here? We've never seen you around." The other brown-haired girl said.

 "Yes, I just came to Seoul for the summer school."

 "We noticed you were not that talkative, even when you were talking to the school's most popular guys." Sooyoung noted. So they're really popular here...

 "Well, I'm kind of shy..." I scratched my cheek and the girls nodded in understanding.

 "By the way, do you want a tour around the school?" Juhyun asked with a smile.

 "Yes, thanks!" I smiled at the girls.

 "Then let's go!" Sooyoung and Juhyun linked their arms with mine and we went out of the classroom.