New Customer

My Immortal

HELLO!!! Ahahaha. First of all, thank you so much for staying and sparing some time to read my story. I am really thankful. I promise I’ll try to do better to make it worth reading.

To those of you who are going to school, good luck! I still have two months-worth vacation, so I have nothing to do, but to support BTS and write this story. :P

So, anyway, here is your chapter!!!

ENJOY!(?)


VI

New Customer


Jin’s POV:

 

It’s just like any usual day in the café. Customers constantly file in, but never enough to over-crowd my place. Except for that one time when Jungkook visited the shop and he met the angel that changed his life forever. Or at least I thought it did.

“Put this one in the oven, it’s already risen” I said to one of my employees, pointing to dough sitting on top of a working station. Just when the cook picked the thing up, I heard the front door open.

Even without looking, I knew it was Jungkook who just came into the café. There’s this unexplainable feeling that comes whenever a person you know walks into a room. Especially because Jungkook and I grew up together. Like just based from the feeling and from the sound of it, you already know it was someone special.

I looked at Jungkook and gave him a warm smile. But much to my surprise and disappointment, he didn’t look at me. He didn’t even notice me, or even bothered to acknowledge my presence. He just walked straight to a table somewhere inside the café, and took out his phone.

What’s wrong with this kid? I thought. So, I washed my hands and patted them dry with a towel. After gauging the atmosphere around him, I decided to walk over to him and talk. Just when I stepped into within three feet around him, I already knew that something was bothering him. He seemed so down and so… agitated. He’s not looking happy at all.

But another thing that kind of shocked me is that he was actually here. He was here, even without me texting him that Jimin was in the house. Not that he only visits the café when I tell him Jimin is here, but it was still a bit of a shock, knowing how this kid loves to stay inside his room doing nothing but sleep and use the internet.

I looked around for a moment and decided to take the seat opposite him. “Good morning, Jungkook.”

Without looking at me, he replied in a weak, unhappy voice. “Good morning, hyung.” I couldn’t help but frown at his mood. He doesn’t look good at all.

“Why are you here?” I asked him, and he twitched a little. “I don’t remember informing you today that Jimin is here.” I continued.

And just like that, he looked at me and slapped my shoulder. “Yah! Hyung, really? You think I’ll just go to your café just to see Jimin-hyung?” He whimpered. I found it funny how defensive he was.

“No! Of course not! But seriously though, what are you doing here? You look all tensed up and nervous.” I cleared myself. He suddenly looked back at his phone, and back at me. He huffed out a sigh before speaking.

“Ok. Jimin-hyung texted me about an hour ago that he wants to meet me here in your café.”

Oh… He said he doesn’t only go here for Jimin… I thought. Then, I analyzed what he just said. Is there something going on between Jimin and Jungkook already? Why is Jungkook tensed? He actually looked like he prepared his outfit for today.

Is this their first date? I suddenly thought. But of course, before I jump to that conclusion, I have to make sure of it first.

And when I looked at Jungkook again, he looked like he was going to pee his pants any moment. I laughed at him, making him turn to me again.

“What’s funny?” He asked. Ok, this is my chance to confirm it.

“How romantic!” I exclaimed, as I mockingly imitated the pose that princesses usually pull off when they are happy.

“Hyung! It isn’t romantic! Not at all!” Jungkook shouted all of a sudden. Oops, ok maybe it wasn’t a first date.

“If you only know what happened and how I ended up waiting here, you would feel all the secondhand embarrassment.” He continued, and I scanned his features. His face seemed like shouting to the world ‘please kill me now’. Maybe this is some serious stuff. But I know that if I would go serious as well, it will only weigh down on him more. He needs uplift now. Not sympathy.

“How bad was it, really?” I asked him, trying to hide some of my concern.

“It’s so bad, I wanted to cut my head off.” Jungkook answered. Was it really that bad? “Imagine, what if someone you just met a few hours ago texts you and tells you he really likes you?” He continued. I was taken aback by his question. Did he just say he confessed to Jimin?

I don’t know how to answer his question, but I know I have to say something. “Well… I… I…” I was still struggling with my words when he continued talking.

“See? That’s what happened. I just ing texted Jimin-hyung by ing mistake that I ing like him, and now maybe he thinks that I am a ing creep.” He explained. Well, he just confessed.

I really wanted to scold him and teach him a lesson or two about the proper use of language, especially because we are in a not-so-private place, but again, that would only add to the weight he is already carrying.

Still on an effort to cheer him up, I jokingly asked. “What? Did you say to him you like ing him? All I understood is the word ‘ing’.” And apparently, it wasn’t the best idea. He suddenly reached over the table and slapped me on the shoulder really HARD.

“Ouch!” I squinted because of the pain.

“Hyung, it’s not funny.” Jungkook condescendingly said. For a few more moments, we were silent. I was about to say something again when I heard a familiar voice speak, just above our face.

“So, you know the owner of the café?” I looked up to see Jimin already standing next to our table. I stood up and greeted him. He politely and gladly greeted me back. I looked at Jungkook, and saw him looking at Jimin, his eyes already watery. It’s like he was going to burst out crying any moment. I followed Jungkook’s gaze and my eyes fell upon Jimin, who was actually staring back at Jungkook. And I didn’t expect to see him look like he was hypnotized by Jungkook. He looked like he just saw the most beautiful and hot person in the world. He stood there, in awe of Jungkook. I know Jungkook wasn’t deliberately trying to seduce Jimin, but if he is, hell he was doing a damn great job.

There was only silence between us as I looked at these two, who looked like they were already talking using their minds. I remembered that he actually asked a question, and there’s no way Jungkook is going to answer that.

“Yeah, we were childhood friends.” I said, effectively breaking the tension between the two. Obviously, they have something to talk about, so I just left them to it. “Now, if you’d excuse me, I need to work now.” I said before leaving the two to their business. I walked slowly back to the working area behind the counter and washed my hands before working again. I took a quick glance at the two. Jimin is already sitting in front of Jungkook, but neither seemed to be talking. They just sat there in silence. But I had something else to do other than keep an eye out for Jungkook, so I disappeared again into the kitchen.

Last Friday, when Jungkook first met Jimin, I had him tasting my first ever attempt at making a blueberry cheesecake. According to him, it tastes good, so I included it in my menu. At first, I really didn’t think Jungkook was telling the truth, because any food tastes great for him, as long as it’s food. He basically could eat anything. So it came as a total surprise when the sales came up even higher, because the customers liked the addition.

After preparing some ingredients for another blueberry cheesecake, I took a peek on the couple. And they are now talking. Actually, it was just Jungkook who was talking, and he’s talking REALLY FAST. His mouth was moving so fast, like he was actually rapping. When he was done, Jimin just stared at him, while Jungkook looked like he was catching his breath. A smiled tugged at my lips and I went back inside to continue working on my cheesecake.

After I put the cheesecake I just finished making in the fridge, I looked again to see what was happening, and I wasn’t expecting to see them now chatting happily over two cups of drinks and two saucers of cheesecake. So they finally talked it out. I wonder what Jimin-ssi’s reaction was. I thought. I scampered back to the kitchen when I saw Jungkook look at my way. I pretended like I was busy working with other stuff when I heard Jungkook calling my name. I heard it the first time, but I didn’t go to the counter just yet. It would seem like I was expecting him to call me if I would. The second time, I pretended to look around where the sound was coming from. On the third, I looked at him and gave him a smile before going over to him. When I was finally in front of Jungkook, I noticed Jimin was standing right behind him.

“Oh, Jungkook, what?” I asked him as I gave him a knowing smirk. He blushed a little at my action before answering me.

“Hyung, Jimin-hyung and I are going somewhere else. Thanks for the food.” Jungkook timidly said. I looked at Jimin, who just gave me a smile, which I guess was a grateful one. I looked at Jungkook again.

“Ok. Take care, ok? Yah! Jimin-ssi!” I called Jimin’s attention.

“W-What?” Jimin asked.

“Take care of Jungkook, ok?” I asked him. His blush didn’t go unnoticed by me. Only if Jungkook saw that. He nodded.

“And Jungkook, enjoy!” I said to him, making him blush even more. “And the two of you.” I continued, catching both of their attentions.

“Don’t go anywhere near beds. Public places only. No going to your house, Jimin-ssi. I don’t want to see Jungkook coming back here with a bad limp.” I said to them with a smirk. Jungkook pulled his hand up and covered his now dark-red face. Jimin looked down at his shoes, like they were the most fascinating things in the planet.

“Answer me!” I shouted, but not loud enough to bother other people. “Do you two understand?” I asked again.

“O-Ok.” Jimin was the first person to answer. Jungkook was still having his face covered with his hands.

“Yah, Jungkook, don’t tell me you are not going to agree?” I asked.

“YAH! HYUNG! I hate you!” Jungkook said before running out of the café and I guess into the men’s room outside. Jimin bowed again before running to follow Jungkook. I silently laughed for a while before going back to my kitchen.

I was just getting started with another work when I felt it again. The door opened, and I knew it was Jungkook again, judging from the feeling.

“That guy, forgot something because of his panic.” I silently muttered under my breath while going back to the counter to talk to him. To my surprise, it wasn’t Jungkook. Not Jimin either. Not anyone I know of.

He pushed the glass door with both of his slender but muscular arms. His whole frame was just as slender, but he was tall. Probably just a centimeter shorter than me. His hair was shiny, and his fringe was long enough to reach his eyes. He was tanned, and his skin is pretty much flawless. He looked around at my place, as if looking for a seat, when there were around five that can be easily seen. He slowly walked to the seat where Jimin and Jungkook sat earlier, took the laminated menu, and read.

He looks like a deep, serious and busy person. I said to myself. His style has a sense of sophistication, but not overly done. I am still confused as to why he had the same feel held by people important to me when he walked through the door. But there’s no denying it, he was damn pretty.

I really wanted to go back to my work and ignore what just happened, but something tells me that he was no ordinary guy. There was something with him. So I decided to take the list and walk over to him to personally take his orders.

“May I take your orders sir?” I asked him politely, just like how waiters address their customers. He put the menu down and looked at me. Then, all of a sudden, he smiled.

“I want a blueberry cheesecake with, uhm, hot chocolate.” He answered. I was surprised by how deep his voice was, because he was slender, even more slender than me. I was expecting a voice higher-pitched than mine.

“Ok.” I said as I went back to the counter and got a slice of blueberry cheesecake, while one of my staff made the hot chocolate. I put the cup, the saucer, two spoons and some sheets of tissue on a tray before going back to his table and setting his order down in front of him. He looked up at me again and gave me another smile.

I know I should be going back now to the counter to attend to work, but I found my feet rooted to the ground, my eyes watching him as he munched rather happily on the slice of cake. I almost jumped back in shame when he looked up at me again and gave me another smile. Ok, maybe I was wrong with the serious part. I thought.

“Is it your break right now?” The customer asked. Is he actually talking to me? I looked around for a while, and when I was sure he was actually asking me, I answered.

“No. I have no break.” I answered him. It’s true – the owner of the café doesn’t get any break. He is supposed to constantly watch over his staff and the customers of the shop. I have no break.

“Well, that’s sad. Your boss must be cruel. He doesn’t even give his employees a break.” He nonchalantly answered. My eyes widened at the brave comment. Did he just say I am cruel?

“Well – “ I was about to protest about it when he opened his mouth again.

“But you know what? This blueberry cheesecake is wonderful. It’s just perfect!” He said. Well, maybe that would make up for the bad comment.

“Thanks.” I plainly answered. Since it wasn’t really a rush hour, I took the seat opposite him. “Actually, the other employees have a break.” I said to him. He looked at me with curious eyes.

“What? That’s unfair! Did you have a offense against your boss? Is your lack of break your punishment?” He asked. Why can’t he get that I am actually the boss?

“Nope.” I said to him.

“Oh! I know! You hated being in breaks, so you just continue working during breaks!” He guessed again. I wanted to shake my head in disbelief. Is he really this slow?

“Nope.” I said to him again.

“Then what happened?” he just gave up on guessing.

“Well, I have no break, because the boss don’t have a break, and – “ I was going to say I was the boss when he cut in.

“Oh!!! I know! I know! You are a fan of the boss, that’s why you are trying to go after his steps!” He said. I mentally face palmed at how slow he is.

“No, because I am the boss. I am the owner of this café, and I am not cruel to my employees, and thanks for saying the cheesecake is good because I was the one who made that.” I said to him all in one go. He dropped the spoon he was holding. His mouth opened and closed like that of a fish.

“Well?” I asked. He took a deep breath and picked the spoon up.

“Uhm… I didn’t know, sorry for saying you were cruel.” He said carefully. I crossed my arms across my chest and raised my eyebrow. I was about to berate him for his comment, but I didn’t know what came out of my mouth.

“Actually, it was fine. I’m actually glad that you were honest.” I said to him. Even I was surprised by how kind it sounded. I just ignore it and let it pass.

“So… what is your work?” I asked him. What? Jin? Seriously why are you even asking that?

He looked at me and smiled again. “I have no work. I just came back from Japan. I have nothing to do, I was bored, and so I went to the mall.” He explained. Ok, maybe even the busy part was wrong.

“Oh… I see… you were from Japan.” I mumbled.

“Yeah, I moved there two years ago after I graduated.” He openly shared. Ok, Jin, go to the more… café related topics.

“So… how did you find this place?” I asked. I was somehow expecting an answer like ‘A friend of mine recommended it’ or ‘I was enthralled by the smell coming from the place’. But of course, my expectations about him weren’t right.

“I just felt tired walking, and I was in front of this café, so I entered.” He answered. Ok… so his voice is the only deep thing about him.

“Oh… I see…” I said. I’ve ran out of topics. I usually have something interesting in mind to talk about, but it was different with this man. He was just so different; I don’t even know what makes him interested.

“Ok… I guess I have to look after my staff now.” I said to him as I stood up from my seat. He flashed another rectangular smile before I turned my back on him.

I walked back to the counter and checked on my employees in the front desk for a while. Then, I realized, no wonder why the man thought I was an employee. I wore the same uniform as them. Maybe I should change the color of mine.

I walked back to the kitchen and gave some pointers on one of my cooks who was having some problem with dough. I just told him what he should avoid the next time, and calmly told him to just discard the whole dough and make a new one. See? I am not cruel. Wait why am I even thinking about this?

When I looked out again and went to the counter, I felt the door open and close. When I looked, it was the man. He just left the café.

“Don’t worry, sir, he paid.” One of my staff said to me when she noticed I was looking at the stranger. I looked back at his table, and saw that he actually finished everything. He sure was a fast swallower.

“Yeah, I know.” I said to my staff. I was already walking back to the kitchen when I turned around and tapped the staff’s shoulder.

“Yes, sir?” She asked.

“Tell me, am I cruel?” I asked.

“Of course not, sir! You are the best boss anyone can have!” She said.

“Yeah, thanks.” I said. As I went back to work, I remembered something.

I forgot to ask his name.