Busy Friday

My Immortal

TADAH!!! I’m back!!!

Here’s another chapter! It’s a TaeJin chapter, though. Sorry for those who are waiting for a JiKook chapter, and sorry to those who don’t really ship TaeJin but are forced to read this chapter. I’m so sorry…

And…

IT’S #HAPPYJUNGKOOKDAY TODAY!!! YEHEY!!! Let’s all celebrate the birthday of our precious golden maknae!!! My birthday wish for him? Okay… I wish he’ll stay safe and healthy… and happy. And I wish for more success to his career. And MORE MORE MORE BIRTHDAYS TO COME!!!

Okay, anyway… here’s your chapter!!! Enjoy!(?)


XVII

Busy Friday


Jin’s POV:

 

I wrung the rug above the kitchen sink after using it to wipe the table top in my dining room clean and free from crumbs and such. I just finished eating my breakfast that I prepared today, which comprises of scrambled eggs, toasted bread, and some quickly-made pasta out of the canned tuna I was storing in the shelf for weeks now. Well, not now… it’s already in my tummy.

Today is another work day. Actually, every day is a work day. The café that I own is open seven days a week. And I don’t consider myself as the boss – I want to serve as an example to my employees. If I want them to work diligently, I should show them the kind of diligent that they need to at least match, if not exceed.

After getting the dining place clean again, I started washing the kitchenware that I used in cooking and eating my breakfast. I did quick work of everything – my body is already acting on its own. My life is all about cooking and eating, and it was no surprise that my body is not acting on its own when I’m in the kitchen.

After less than ten minutes of scrubbing and rinsing, the deed was done. I padded off to my own room and started to prepare to shower.

I entered the shower room and started cleaning myself up for the long day ahead. Normally, it would take me around twenty to thirty minutes under the shower head to clean myself up, but I noticed that lately, I’ve been spending an extra ten to fifteen minutes in the shower room, consciously scrubbing away all the dirt I can’t even see on the surface of my skin. Maybe I just really wanted to be super clean to be presentable to customers and also to employees.

After an inappropriately long amount of time, I finally finish cleaning myself and was soon stepping out of the shower room with my towel wrapped around my waist. Next stop: wardrobe.

I opened the door of my closet, revealing a wide array of clothes ranging from plain shirts and shorts to delicate, expensive suits and pants to match. Included in the mix are my uniforms that I USED TO wear at work. But lately, I, and even my employees, noticed that I haven’t been wearing my usual uniforms, opting for more… stylish clothes. It was a surprise to me when Minju, one of my assistant chefs, said to me one day that I look like I am going to attend a party with the way I dressed that time. It wasn’t over the top! I just wore bone white pants, a pink, long-sleeved polo with the sleeves rolled up to my elbow… and… sunglasses.

Ever since that day I never wore my sunglasses again.

After contemplating on the set of clothes that I will wear today, I finally pulled out a plain white shirt, a fitted pair of denim pants, and denim jacket to put on top. After fixing my hair in front of the mirror and spraying on a mild scent, I grabbed my stuff and keys before locking the whole house up and going to my garage.

I started driving to the mall where my own café is situated. It was just a pretty short drive – about ten minutes, if the traffic is light. It’s still early in the morning, about 8 am, but it’s also a Friday, which means there will be lots of vehicles along the way. The road where the mall is located also actually the road where people working in the offices, hotels, and schools drive along. I ended up getting stuck in the traffic for a good 20 to 30 minutes before I was able to pull over to the mall’s parking area.

When I reached the mall, I was let inside, even though the mall is still closed, simply because I work here. I headed straight to my café and opened it up, and started preparing for the day. I went straight to the kitchen and brought out the ingredients that are going to be used by me and my crew. I also began making some mixes, and as time went by, my employees came one by one, all greeting me with a “good morning, sir” before helping with the preparations. Then, Minju came to my side.

“Good morning, Sir.” She greeted me with a smile as she quickly wrapped her apron around her waist and put on hair net and gloves. She finished by putting on her toque, which was absolutely unnecessary.

“Good morning, Minju.” I greeted her back with a smile. I continued with the mixing the batter for one of the cakes that we offer in the café.

“Wow, sir… you’re blooming today. Is there something you wanna share with me?” She asked innocently – far too innocent to be believable.

“Oh, thank you.” I answered her. “I guess the gap between our levels of prettiness is growing quickly.” I continued with a small laugh, with her following with her own giggle as well.

I quickly checked the clock hanging by the kitchen wall just above the door way, and saw that it was about time to open the café. So after passing my work to Minju, I made my way to the glass door and flipped the sign. And that’s how the busy day starts.

I am expecting more people to come today than the past weekdays. It’s a rule – the busiest day of my business among the five weekdays is the Friday. I went back inside the kitchen and observed my workers while they worked. I instructed them on what to do and what not to do. Even though they’ve been here for a while now, mistakes still manage to slip in, so I had to keep them under supervision.

But I don’t stay behind the counter the whole time. I also sometimes go to the front lines, taking the orders of my much-treasure customers, and serving. It may not look like something that a boss should be doing, but I love doing it. I have a good old mantra when I entered this business – keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer, but keep your customers closest. One way of maintaining customers is by interacting with them, and making them feel at home.

I went over to one of the tables where my regulars were sitting. They were an old couple. After setting down their orders, I bowed down to them. I watched them as they took a bite of everything.

“How’s the food, ma’am?” I asked the old woman. She smiled at me.

“As usual, really great.” She answered. “You keep asking about the taste of your food, and I just keep on giving you the same answer.” She chuckled.

“I’m sorry if I was being annoying, but I was just making sure that all of our customers, especially the regulars like you guys, are getting nothing but the best.” I answered wisely. The couple smiled at me before I turned to leave. “Enjoy the food! And have a good day!”

I walked back to the counter and set the tray back on the racks. Just before I stepped into the kitchen, the door of the café opened, making me snap my head to the direction of the customer. After recognizing him, I took a glance at one of the computers being used by my cashiers. It was already lunch time.

I just kept watching as Taehyung let go of the door handle and making his way to his usual table, without even sparing me, or the other people, a glance. Is he in a bad mood?

He slumped down on the chair and sighed. I unconsciously started pulling on my clothes, straightening the non-existent wrinkles of my outfit, before trudging to the table where he went to. I stopped just before his spot and remained there, hoping that I wouldn’t have to do something to make him notice me. But apparently, it is not working. He just kept his head low, and if I didn’t know better, I would think he was fast asleep in my café.

I took a deep breath and cleared my throat loud enough for Taehyung to hear. He slowly lifted his head up, and when he realized who it was, straightened up into his seat and smiled. “Hi, Seokjin-ssi!!!”

“I said call me Jin-ssi, or Jin-hyung.” I answered him. “Hello, Taehyung.” I returned his cute smile with my own one. He quickly took the menu that was resting on top of the table and began telling me his orders, while I jot them down on the clipboard.

“Uhm… One slice of blueberry cheesecake, a cup of COLD, yes, I mean COLD chocolate, and.. uhm…” he scanned the menu he was holding. I was about to tell him that we DO NOT serve COLD chocolate when he continued. “…and your seafood pasta. That will be my lunch for now.”

“Uhmm… okay. But we don’t serve…” Of course I can make one especially for him, right? I mean… that’s just one cup. And besides, I don’t want to make him feel even worse.

“You don’t serve what?” He asked me, tilting his head to the side. Why is he so cute?

“N-Nothing.” I quickly said to him as I turned around to go to the counter to grab the pre-made servings of his orders. That’s how it is done – the dish is already prepared, we just pop it inside the oven to heat the dish up. But something was telling me not to do that.

I feel like I want to actually cook his order straight from the stove.

And besides, I’ll be making his custom drink, so I decided to cook from scratch. In that way, the food that he’ll be eating is fresh and flavorful.

I ran back to his table and tapped his shoulder. “Hm?”

“I just came back to say that your order will take a while. I hope that’s okay with you…” I said to him. He quickly nodded before looking at his phone again. I made another run for the kitchen and began working.

I quickly but carefully worked on his order of seafood pasta. I added extra pieces of shrimp into his order, and also added more meat and other ingredients. I know it sounds a bit pathetic, but I can’t really help it. I think I am making a conscious effort of making the new regular happy, and impressed.

After some time, I finished cooking the pasta, and I make fast work of the garnishing and plating. Next, I skipped to the fridge, where the cheesecakes are kept. I took one, slightly bigger slice from in and put it on a dainty saucer. I also went over to the dispenser where the drinks are stored, and poured out some on a glass, where I put chocolate syrup on the bottom, and some ice cubes. After putting all three items on a tray, I started going to back to his table, to find him resting his forehead on the edge of the table. He seems tired…

“Here’s your order.” I said while placing the smoking pasta, the chilled cheesecake, and the glass of COLD chocolate drink.

“Thanks, hyung.” He muttered, taking the fork and immediately attacking the cheesecake. I took the chance to sit in front of him and watch him eat. After swallowing, he eyed the cake again, and raised his eyebrow.

“Is something wrong with the cake?” I nervously asked him. No…there can’t be anything wrong, not when he’s here… okay what? But seriously…

He chuckled lowly, and I can feel the table vibrating from how low his voice is. “Is it just me, or your servings of blueberry cheesecake are getting bigger and bigger every time?” He asked. … he noticed.

I couldn’t do anything but just laugh at his comment. What can I say? That I deliberately took a larger slice for him to eat?

Luckily, he isn’t one to push a topic. He shifted his attention to the pasta, and took a mouthful of it. I saw him close his eyes in pleasure, humming in contentment as he relished the flavor. I felt a rush of relief, knowing that he is enjoying and liking the meal that I prepared for him. He swallowed the pasta and took a swig from the chocolate drink before speaking.

“Wow… and I thought I would only return for the cheesecake.” He commented.

“What do you mean?” I asked. Actually, I already knew the answer. I just wanted to hear it from him.

“The pasta is heavenly!” He answered, taking another mouthful of it. “Now I have another regular order from you.”

“Then I have another regular customer!” I retorted. He only smiled at me before continuing eating his meal. Suddenly, he stopped, and looked at me.

“I know what you’re doing.” He dryly muttered. Wait… what is he saying?

“W-What?” I asked, confused by his words. I am not doing anything to him. Yet.

“The aliens sent you to make me spend all of my money on food!” He pointed an accusing finger at me. Did he just say alien?

“What? What are you saying?” I asked him again. After that, he looked at his food again and continued eating without answering my question. He’s pretty weird… yeah… pretty and weird.

“You’re weird.” I chuckled. I waited for his sassy or funny retort, but nothing came. I look at him, and saw him staring down on the food. Did I offend him?

“I-I am sorry… I m-mean…” I squeaked my apology to him. He wasn’t replying, neither did he look up. I was starting to feel guilty and nervous.

“I-It’s okay…” Taehyung answered weakly. He doesn’t seem okay. Not at all.

“Taehyung, are you alright?” I asked, worry laced in my voice.

He held his head and took another sip from the chocolate drink. “Y-Yeah… just a little… headache.” He answered. He continued eating everything, but it took forever to finish what he used to finish within minutes. He was eating slowly, and often he massaged his head and neck. He also started rubbing his chest and taking deep breaths. I am very worried – he looks like he’s sick.

He finished the last bite of the cheesecake, and proceeded to downing the chocolate drink that probably tastes bland by now, because the ice was already gone. He slowly stood up from his seat and started walking. He was wobbling.

“Tae, are you alright?” I asked again, standing up to look after him. He gave me a small nod before continuing. He was already in front of the door when I saw his eyes shut close, and he started to fall.

“TAEHYUNG!” I shouted, running as fast as I can to catch him. He barely made it in time.

“Taehyung!” I shook him, trying to wake him up, and that’s when I noticed it.

He’s burning.

I quickly but carefully lifted Taehyung up and ignored the worried and scared looks that the other customers were giving us. “MINJU!!!”

“Sir… OH MY GOD WHAT HAPPENED?!” Minju appeared from the kitchen, and started running to me.

“No! Stay and watch over the café! I’m taking him to the hospital!” I shouted before sprinting down the mall’s halls, bumping into several people as I rushed to my car. I was so tired by the time I reached the parking area, but I can’t stop. I opened the car and lowered him to the back seat before running around to the driver’s. I silently wished for a safe drive before speeding down the highways, straight to the hospital nearby. I was lucky that there weren’t many vehicles during that time.

When I reached the building, I lifted Taehyung up again and ran to the emergency room.

“Doc!!!” I screamed as I entered the ER. The nurses pulled out a stretcher and put Taehyung’s limp body on it, before rushing him to the corner of the room. I tried to follow, but the other nurses held me back and pulled me out, telling me they’ll take care of the matter.

I just sat down on the plastic chairs outside the emergency room, and waited. I was tapping my feet on the floor, agitation quickly building up inside me. I am so worried for Taehyung. I knew there was something off with him the moment he stepped into my café. But I didn’t do anything but flirt. Now, he’s here in the hospital, and the guilt is eating me alive.

Then, the door opened, revealing a serious-looking doctor. I promptly stood up to face him.

“Are you with the patient?” He asked me, to which I gave a nod. “Are you his relative?”

“N-No… I’m just an acquaintance. I run the café where he fainted.” I answered him. He just jotted down some scribbles I couldn’t quite make out, and left me to go inside the ER again.

This time, I wasn’t able to sit down. I just paced back and forth in front of the emergency room, impatiently waiting for news. Just when I was about to lose my mind, the door opened again, and the same doctor came out.

“The patient is safe now. He’s been transferred to room 143.” He said to me. I felt a rush of relief surge through me.

“Thank you, doc.” I answered before going to the said room. When I entered the room, a nurse is fixing some equipment beside Taehyung’s bed, while said boy was just lying there, still sleeping. The nurse turned around and picked up her stuff before heading to the door.

“Please tell us immediately when Mr. Kim wakes up.”

I sat down on the couch near Taehyung’s bed and waited. I don’t even know how for how long Taehyung’s gonna be asleep, but I hope he wakes up soon. I felt the exhaustion of rushing Tae to the hospital taking over my body. Moments later, I closed my eyes and let sleep take me.

When I woke up, it was already 4 pm. I looked at Taehyung, who was still sleeping on the bed. I can’t help it but feel like it really was my fault why we are here right now. I moved over to his bed, and willed myself to touch his face and brush his fringes, arranging them carefully over his forehead. His hair was so soft.

I kept myself busy by the strands of his hair. Then, he groaned, making me pull my hand back in surprise. He began stirring and stretching around, until his mouth opened in a cute yawn, and his eyes opened sleepily. He scanned his surroundings with his eyes, until his gaze met mine. “Where am I?”

“You’re in the hospital, Tae. You fainted in my café. Wait here, I’ll just call the doctor.” I said to him. I waited for his nod before running out of the room and going to the help desk to tell them that Tae is already awake.

I came back to the room with the doctor trailing behind me. He did a quick examination and “interview” on Tae, asking him how he was feeling and if anything feels wrong in his abdominal area. After examining him, the doctor turned to me.

“How is Taehyung, doc?” I asked him.

“Mr. Kim had an allergic reaction.” Oh .

I swallowed hard, knowing that Taehyung’s allergy may have come from what he ate in my café. “T-To what?”

He turned to Taehyung. “Did you eat shrimp, crab, lobster, or anything of that sort?” He asked Taehyung.

“Yes, doc. But I am pretty sure that I am not allergic to seafood! I’ve been eating shrimp since birth!” He answered.

“Yeah… you’re not allergic to shrimp alone. What are the other things that you ate or drank along with it?”

“Uhm… blueberry cheesecake and chocolate drink.” Taehyung answered honestly. The doctor nodded and sighed.

“When you ate the shrimp, nothing happened. But when you added chocolate drink to the seafood you were eating, it triggered your allergic reaction.” He explained. “Next time, when you are going to eat seafood, DO NOT eat or drink chocolate.”

“And one more thing doc – even before I ate, I was already feeling a bit sick. Did that have an effect?” He asked.

“That made the reaction worse. You shouldn’t have fainted, but since you were already weak by that time, you did.” The doctor continued. With that, he bowed to me and Taehyung before leaving that room.

The room fell silent for a few moments. If before, I was feeling bad for not acting when I noticed Taehyung was off, now, I am feeling like an idiot for serving him his danger. I felt some tears already beginning to form behind my eyes.

“I-I’m so sorry, Taehyung.” I mumbled. Taehyung just smiled at me.

“Yah… hyung, it isn’t your fault.” He cooed. How can he be so kind when it was I who served the food?

“No, Tae. It’s my fault. I didn’t even ask if you were allergic to that. I didn’t even do anything when I noticed you were kind of weak when you entered my café, it was all my fault!”

“No, hyung. It isn’t. If there’s someone to blame, it’s me. It’s my fault I didn’t know I was allergic to seafood plus chocolate.” He explained. He’s making sense, but I still think I was also part of the reason why he’s in the hospital right now.

“I’m sorry, again… gosh I’m so sorry.” I muttered. I saw his lips curve up to a smile.

“You should make it up to me, then.” Taehyung said. Of course, anything for you.

“You should give me free cheesecake and pasta the next time I visit your café.” He chuckled.

“Okay, deal.” I answered him. Then, he started laughing. “Yah! What’s funny?”

“You know I was just kidding, right?” He asked.

“No, I don’t, so the next time you’ll visit my café, you can say to my crew that I promised you free cheesecake and pasta.” I answered him. He looked shocked for a moment, before he began clapping.

“Okay, hyung! Thanks!” He happily said, showing his signature box smile that makes me die a little more inside every time I see it.

We continued talking for a short while before he told me to go back to the café.

“Hyung, I think you should go now. I can manage. Your crew is waiting for you.” He said to me. I just shook my head at him.

“Nope, I’m staying to watch over you. What if you begin feeling something bad again?” I insisted.

“I’m going to call a friend of mine to visit me. I think he doesn’t have work tomorrow. But for now, I think I’m just going to sleep the day away. And oh, can I ask for a favor?” He told me.

“Sure… what is it?” At this point, I am willing to do anything for him. But what’s confusing is that I know it isn’t simply just to pay for what happened to him today. For now, I don’t want to think about it.

“Can you please have spaghetti delivered here in my room? I’ll just pay for it when the deliver comes.” He asked.

“O-Okay…” I answered. “Are you sure you’re going to be fine if I leave you?”

“Yeah… I can take care of myself. Thanks for today, and for saving me.” Taehyung said.

“No problem. It’s my pleasure.” Okay what?

And with that, I left the hospital and went back to my café. Minju immediately went over to me when I stepped inside the kitchen.

“Sir? What happened?” she asked. I can sense the curiosity and slight worry in her voice.

“He’s allergic to seafood and chocolate combined.” I answered her plainly. She just nodded. Before she went back to her work, I remembered Taehyung’s request. I called her attention again. “Minju.”

“Sir?”

“Can you please have spaghetti and blueberry cheesecake delivered to room 143 in the hospital? And tell the delivery man that it’s already paid.” I said to her. Minju nodded before leaving the kitchen to go the counter. I took a deep breath to stabilize myself before continuing the work.

Too much for a busy Friday.