Sally and Chris

7 short stories in 7 short days

Chris sat at the end of the pier watching the sunset over the cloudless sky, coloured in an orange hue. As his feet dangled over the waters, a wave of melancholy washed over him. Peering over to his reflection he gave out a sigh ‘what are you doing with yourself?’ he thought.

‘You’re doing what you think is right’ came a voice from behind him. Turning around he realised it was Sally, as always, right beside him.

‘Hey Sally’ he greeted her with a smile. ‘But what if she doesn’t want to see me?’

‘She will.’ Sally patted him on the shoulder reassuringly

‘What if she blames me?’

Sally wrapped her arms around Chris in a tight hug, her scent of vanilla was just as he remembered.

‘Mother may appear cold and stoic, but deep down she is warm and forgiving, besides, it was never your fault.’

‘Thank you’ Chris murmured.

Picking himself up his eyes fell upon sally. She was a little shorter than him, her eyes a cold blue but her hair was a soft and warm brown, wearing a simple beige top and jeans she was just as she had always been when they were teenagers.

‘Now go’ she ushered him towards his car ‘don’t keep my mother waiting!.’

As he reached the end of the pier he turned around once more, peering to where Sally had been, to where they use to sit together and watch the sunset together. But she was no longer there, disappeared to the corners of his mind, until the next time he needed her, or rather, the memory of her.

Starting his car, he once more readied himself for the journey to come, Sally may have forgiven him, but he hadn’t.