Shooting star

7 short stories in 7 short days

Caroline was ready, she had to be it was already too late to turn back. She had it all planned out, the potato sack, the chloroform and the disguise; everything was leading up to this moment. Hiding behind the building she waited, night fell and she continued to wait and even when her breath turned to white, she clung on to her equipment and dared not make a sound for fear of being found. Then, it happened, the door began to open, light began to bleed through the crack searing her eyes as they tried to adjust. Slinking further into the darkness she watched as the door fully swung open and a pale figure came out. He was what she came for.

Her heart raced as he stepped out, beating loud in her ears as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a packet of cigarettes. Her palms were sweaty, knees weak, arms were heavy, this was the moment she thought. She watched as he lit up a cigarette, breathed in and exhaled a cloud of smoke. Then, she ran. Right up behind him, arms around his shoulders, like she practiced, then the chloroform before he could take his breath, cover his face and wait, wait for him to lose consciousness, wait for the drug to take effect. He fell like a log, unconscious. Covering his head with the potato sack she tied it tight, for safety measures and dragged him into her awaiting car, carefully putting him into the trunk where he would be safe. 'Mine' she thought.

Once she was in her safe house, she dragged him and propped him onto a chair in a room she made just for him, just for them both. Quickly she tied his arms and legs to the chair securing her prize, her treasure from escaping. Slowly, she removed untied the potato sack and removed it, he looked as if he were sleeping peacefully, her hands slowly parted his hair from his eyes, his skin was cool and soft. Gently her fingers glided along his jawline, her thumb touched his lips. 'You must be cold Jaejoong' she whispered and flung herself onto him, arms wrapping around his body as she hugged him tightly. But something was wrong, something didn’t feel right. He was quiet... too quiet. She reached under his shirt and placed her hands on his chest, nothing. Jumping back she screamed 'no'. What happened? How could this happen? She began to shake, 'no no no no no' she kept saying to herself 'please god no'. with her hands shaking she slowly reached under his nose, hoping to feel for a breath but nothing. What she then realised, Jaejoong was not cold, what she felt was not a man pale and cold with fear but a corpse, drained of life.

Fear gripped her, her body shaking from shock. The one she had desired, wanted and taken was taken from her. The star she had pulled from the sky, had fizzled and lost its light on the way down and all that she had now, was the cold rotting corpse of all her hopes and dreams, her love and her passion and she had no one to blame, but herself.