First Love

7 short stories in 7 short days

Luhan grew up in a house right next to Sehun's, so naturally they became friends early on. 

At the age of five, Luhan and Sehun would play together at a playground not far from their houses. One day, as the sun began to set, the sky cascading from blue to orange, Luhan and Sehun walked home together from the playground as usual and as they parted ways, Luhan, a happy and bubbling child suddenly ran back and gave Sehun a tight hug. "I love you" he told Sehun with a big grin on his back and Sehun returned the gesture and replied "I love you too!".

~

By the age of 10, their friendship was tested when Luhan's family had to move. Sehun was never good at expressing his emotions and not knowing why his best friend had to move, his anger became directed at Luhan. In the week leading up to the separation, he became cold and distant, refusing to play with Luhan at school and running home alone right after school ended. On the day Luhan was leaving Sehun could not be found, his mother searched everywhere but they could not find him. Luhan, however, knew where he was and when he arrived at the playground, where the bushes beneath the tree curved into a small dome only a child could enter, he found Sehun. He had curled himself into a ball, eyes red from crying and made no acknowledgement of Luhan's arrival. 

"I have to go soon" said Luhan, but Sehun continued his silence.

"At least we can still play at school" still Sehun made no sound.

"I'm going to miss you... please Sehun"

"Why do you have to leave" replied Sehun weakly, his voice trembling as if about to break, "I thought we were friends".

"I don't want to leave but mommy and daddy said we have to"

"Will we still be friends when you move?"

"We will! I promise! I'll come to your house and you can come to mine and we can play again! Mommy even said I can have a dog at the new house" said Luhan excitedly.

"Really? Can I play with him too?" Sehun got up, now giving Luhan his full attention.

"Yes of course! It will be super fun!"

"Sehun! Are you here? Honey mommy is very worried about you, please come out if you are!" Sehun's mother called out her voice filled with worry.

"So will you come say goodbye to me?" asked Luhan.
"O-ok" Sehun stood up and wiped the tears from his eyes with the back of his sleeve "I'll miss you Luhan"

"Me too Sehun" said Luhan as he gave Sehun a big hug "I love you".

"I love you too" Sehun replied with a teary smile.

~

Luhan kept his promise and they continued to be friends and continued to go to the same school together. Sehun, however, was met with another loss at the age of 15. His mother became seriously ill and as she became progressively weaker, it was clear that she was not long for this world. With the worsening condition of his mother, Sehun became mature fast, however in his rush to become someone who could take care of himself in his mother's eyes, he had become distant and unapproachable to his friends. 

"Please Sehun, you don't have to deal with this alone, open up to your friends we are here for you" pleaded Luhan one day as he came to visit at the hospital.

"You don't need to be here, I can do this on my own"
"But you don't have to Sehun, I'm here for you"

Sehun could only hold onto his sleeping mother's hand, his face had thinned and become gaunt with stress and his eyes were dark with lack of sleep.

Luhan approached Sehun and wrapped his arms around him from behind "You know there are other people that love and care for you too, I'm here for you".

Tears, long held behind a facade of strength began to fall. As Sehun began to cry, for the first time in ages, Luhan was there to comfort him with a warm embrace "I love you Sehun"

"I know" he replied but this time, there was no smile to accompany.

~

Time went on and even when his mother did pass away, Luhan was there for Sehun. Though Sehun had lost one love, by the time he was 20, he had found another in the form of Seohyun. He had finally plucked the courage to ask her out but in doing so he had also become a nervous wreck.

"What if she says no?"
"What if she says yes?" joked Luhan

"This is no joking manner Lu, what if she says no? Then it will become awkward between us and I may never see her again"

"You will be fine stop stressing Sehun"

"You wouldn't understand Lu, You've never told someone you liked them have you"
"I tell you I love you all the time" said Luhan

"Yeah but that's different, how do I look? Good?"

"You always look good to me"

Sehun gave Luhan a friendly jab to the shoulder "Ok I'm off, wish me luck"
"You don't need luck Sehun you got good looks" Joked Luhan

"Whatever, bye Luhan, see you at dinner tonight I'll tell you all about it then, love you buddy" and waving goodbye Sehun ran off towards the train station.

"I love you more" whispered Luhan under his breath with a heavy sigh.

~

As luck would have it, Seohyun did say yes and the two began to date and for five long years they dated until Sehun asked her to marry him that is. On their wedding day Luhan was there, as the best man and as the two waited in the back room Sehun's was once more pacing back and forth, his heart racing and palms sweating.

"This is it Luhan, I'm getting married"

"Calm down, why are you stressing for? Everything is going to plan and everything is perfect!"

"We are spending the rest of our lives together, this is it, it has to be perfect but... what if we grow distant with time? What if we stop loving each other?"
"You've always been a worrywart Sehun" Said Luhan "Look I've known you for 25 years and I haven’t stopped loving you".

"I love you Sehun!" said Luhan as usual

"I know" replied Sehun with his usual smile and patted Luhan on the back before leaving the room to get a drink to calm his jitters, but he had taken no more than five steps when he realised he had left his tie on the dresser. As he slowly opened the door he saw that Luhan was sitting on the chair, too transfixed on what he was holding to notice Sehun had returned. Sehun noticed in Luhan's hand was the picture of them both, at the age of five standing hand in hand beaming the most pure smile for the camera and Luhan stared at it with lament. Tears splashed onto the photo causing Luhan to wipe them off with his thumb, his voice quivered as he spoke "I'll always love you Sehun".

Sehun slowly closed the door, shocked at what he had just seen and his mind replaying all the times Luhan had told him he had loved him and a single question came to his mind 'when?'

~

After the wedding, as the bride and groom went around to bid everyone goodbye, Sehun noticed Luhan was nowhere to be seen, looking around he finally found him, standing outside the church beneath the sunset as the sky cascaded from a blue to an orange hue.

"Congratulations" Said Luhan with a smile when he noticed Sehun standing before him.

"Thanks" was all Sehun could think of saying.

Awkwardness rushed over Sehun as he replayed what had transpired before the ceremony, of his realisation of Luhan's feelings.

"You know..." began Sehun awkwardly "We've been friends since forever, and... I'll always be here for you"

"I know Sehun" silence washed over them as the stars began to appear in the darkening sky.

"I never notice things until it's too late"

"I know that too" replied Luhan

"I'm sorry"
"What for?"

"That I'm always so selfish"

"What are you getting at Sehun?"

"I want you to be always around me, so... when I have a kid ... not that Seohyun is pregnant now but in the future, when she is... will you be the godfather?"

Luhan stared him slightly shocked by the offer.

"Y-yes of course" he finally said with a smile "It would be an honour".

Sehun pulled his best friend into a hug  "You know that I love you right buddy?"

"I do"
"And I always will"
Luhan returned the hug and chuckled "I'll always love you too"