Chapter 5

The Un-sasaeng-ing of Jeon Minju
 

FIVE 

 

Jeon Minju's bad morning started with her nibbling on a piece of worn out bread she managed to salvage from the almost empty counter. Her mom must be angry big time to keep all the food in their bedroom. She could care less though. She had long reiterated that she won’t stop following those ‘poster boys’ no matter how much they nag her or restrict her. Cut her allowance? She’ll borrow from JaeIn. She has yet to be pushed to the brink to resort to extorting weak classmates but she was sure she would if the need arises. Lock her out of the house? She can always crash in DaHee’s family’s billiard hall. She had to take caution from leering gangster-wannabees and their stinky cigarettes though. Sometimes her parents try the opposite instead and lock her in the house. It never deterred her. She’d long gone and mastered crossing two balconies where Haru, a middle schooler who’s more like a frenemy of hers always opens the glass door and lets her escape through their front door. The kid’s parents seemed to be out until late at night every single day.

 

Something wiggled beneath her, snapping her from munching. At her feet was a small toy poodle tilting its head and nudging her leg with its nose. The little fluffball wagged its tail, expecting a treat. Minju’s eyes wandered to the other side of the house where another one, she recognized as a Malpalryang, a little bigger than the one pestering her. It was curled up on a gray wool mat near the bathroom. She averted her eyes when she heard her parents’ door click, shooing the little dog with her foot irritably and stuffing the rest of the bread in and gulping from the milk carton.

 

Her mother with her wrinkled and thin face emerged from the room, tying the ribbon of the apron while heading to the kitchen where Minju was. Her mom didn’t even spare her a glance and took out a pack of meat tightly sealed with newspaper from the lowest row of the fridge. So that’s where she hid it, she thought. She narrowed her eyes as her mother briskly sliced it into thin pieces. Here she goes again, her childish mother of forty-two years! It’s not like she’s going to cook, or rather, her mother is unaware that she knows how and she has no intention of showing her parents she knew her ways in the kitchen. That would lead to more chores for her; endless chopping, peeling, and her mom would definitely make her do the grocery shopping.

 

She moved to the refrigerator to return the milk when her mother spoke for the first time after their fight. “I thought I told you not to drink directly from that. It’s unhygienic.” Her voice was hoarse but still had that stern and thunder like intensity.

 

Minju pursed her lips and took the carton out again, slamming the fridge door with her foot.

 

“And stop being brash like a horse, kicking and kicking around.” This time her mother was busy reaching for the pan and washing it. She seemed to have eyes on the back of her head to even know what Minju was doing.

 

Finishing the last drop of milk, Minju tossed the carton in the small green garbage can near the fridge. The sound made her mother flinch a little but Minju knew too well that her mother was too immersed in her angry mom role to even show a sign of weakness. She spun on her heels, grabbing her backpack and pushing the dumb dog out of the way.

 

“Eat before you leave.” It wasn’t a command. It was of a mother’s voice. Her eyes caught her mother staring at her, red and dark. She must've cried and was unable to sleep, Minju thought. There was a lump in but she ignored it. She headed for the door without looking back. Oh no she’s not losing this fight. Her pride, and her undying love for iKON and Hanbin will keep her strong. It would.

 

Right?

 

She slumped her shoulders. It was going to be a bad day.

 


 

“She started it.”

 

Minju raised her brow but kept shut.

 

“You kids! Do you have any idea how that dirtied the school’s image? That SM whatever agency sent a memo regarding scandalous girls fighting in front of their building” The teacher kept hitting the table with his stick. His budging eyes and loud mouth kept them on the edge of their seats. “And this.” He tossed Minju’s messy blond hair. “Jeon Minju you! I told you to dye that hair back to black! What are you, a yankee?” Yuna snickered discreetly.

 

She scowled, pulling away her seat. “What? Kim Yuna has dyed hair too!” She pointed her enemy’s mid-length chocolate brown hair that seemed to never go disarray.

 

The teacher knocked a few papers on her head. “Yah! Stop pointing out and just look at yourself. In a few months you guys are graduating and yet you seem to have no plans for your future!” 

 

“Kim Yuna, you too. Turn that hair to black or I’ll dip your heads in a can of black paint. Permanent ink would be good too.” He pushed two pieces of paper towards them. “Write your reflection paper properly and turn them in at the faculty room. You guys have to deal with the corresponding punishment for skipping school and causing a ruckus in Seoul."

 

The two glared at each other, ready to pounce the moment the teacher steps out. ”No more fighting. Don't you dare skip or I'm calling your parents. Write."

 

Minju mentally slapped her forehead. She can't afford them knowing how crazy she was the other day. They know she's crazy but well, yesterday she was extra crazy with all the bashing towards Hanbin and Kim Yuna rubbing it in. She felt Yuna kicking her seat, taunting her with a devious smirk. She rolled her eyes and held it in, clutching her blank paper as she treaded the other end of the room. Surely even if she honestly wrote a long essay how she's only defending her 'oppa', the faculty won't care. It's not like it's the first time the two of them even brawled.

 

And just when she thought handing her reflection paper filled with flowery lies and doing a clean sweep at the huge dusty quadrangle were the end of their punishment, she was terribly mistaken. 

 

"The two of you are expected to be of service to the student council starting tomorrow." Jung YuJin, an extremely frank and doll like sophomore walked towards her and Kim Yuna. The girl was shorter and leaner than them, looking frail and meek with her wispy bangs and braids, but she must've been something for her to bag the spot as the council president and as the top of her grade.

 

Minju's eyes bulged while Yuna lost her grip on the broom, both dumbfounded.

 

"Huh?" Yuna stepped forward, head cocked and trying to intimidate the new comer. "You joking, kid?"

 

"I already spoke to your club about it, Kim Yuna-ssi." the president bit back without any signs of cowering. "It was requested by your homeroom teacher and we gladly complied. We'll be seeing each other everyday for a whole month to prepare for the Sportsfest so please mind your manners. See you tomorrow afterclass." Yuna wasn't even given a chance to reply. "Excuse me." Jung YuJin gave a customary bow, leaving without sparing them a glance.

 

"That kid, not even a word sunbae in her dictionary." Minju watched at her retreating figure.

 

"Screw this !" Yuna kicked her broom, the dust covering her feet.

 

Minju wanted to do the same but today she wasn't really in spirits. It started bad and now her day ends badly too. She glanced at her leather watch and gasped out of habit. At this time she should be rushing to Seoul to reach iKON as they go out to eat snacks. But should she really go there today? A shiver crawled on her skin. She remembered that night, sitting cooped beside Hanbin as his big hands wrote and wrote beautiful words. She remembered his smug smile when he found out why she supported him. Her lips thinned into a small smile. She should go see him. The day wasn't over and it might end better if she saw her vitamin.

 

"Kim Yuna!" She called.

 

"What?" she spat. The EXO stan was gloomily sweeping the other side of the field.

 

Minju sprinted towards her, clasping her hands as if pleading. Her actions surprised Yuna. "Just one time, cover for me."

 

Yuna's eyes darkened. "What kind of sick joke is this, Blondie?" She glowered over Minju and crossed her arms, "You get to see your idols and I can't? There's no way I'm letting you go." She stuck her thumb and made a slicing motion at her neck.

 

"Please! I really have to go before we get stuck in that ty council event." She clenched her teeth. Just this once she'll bear the shame of bowing to an enemy. "I'll seriously owe you one. You can use it in the future." She offered.

 

She seemed to shut for a second and turned to Minju, "Anything?" Her tone felt creepy. Kim Yuna was already scheming, she knew.

 

Minju almost chickened out but agreed anyway. "Anything."

 

"Deal."

 


 

"AHJUSSHI, I TOLD YOU WE'RE JUST GOING TO SAY HI!" DaHee slammed her hand on the desk, the bangles on her wrist clanking like cheap metal. The police man with grey hair jerked and moved back from his leaning position. She had always been the scariest of the group, a mad dog, always mistaken as a gangster. Her long chestnut hair was lose from her usual bun, looking especially girly with her black shorts paired with an oversized demin jacket. But her big dark eyes that she always paints with thick eyeliner made her look fiesty and someone you don't wanna cross.

 

Minju leaned on JaeIn who was sitting upright, totally frightened with both the fact that they're in the police station and that DaHee might unleash her insanity any moment now. "This is not how I imagined it to be, JaeIn-ah." She shook her head, "My bad day was supposed to get better by seeing Hanbin-oppa. It turned out worse. Ugh. They can't call my parents, no. No way." She continuously shook her head and ended up burying her face on her lap.

 

JaeIn looked at her softly, giving a light chuckle to lighten the mood. "It'll be fine, eonnie. It's a good thing the manager had to leave. We're safe for now."

 

"GIVE ME BACK MY CAMERA! AHJUSSHI!" DaHee kicked the desk and screamed, catching the attention of everyone inside. There were only the iKON sasaengs, students with different uniforms mostly, and a couple officers watching in irritation with sytro cups of coffee on hand.

 

"Aish, this kid!" The officer on duty stood and held his arm about to hit back.

 

"Uh, uh!" Minju threw herseld between them but still flinched.

 

Thankfully, the old man was still sane enough to stop. "OFFICER!"

 

 

Everyone turned to the entrance where a huffing Hanbin appeared on his training clothes, a snapback, and a mask. His eyes immediately went to Minju who almost got hit. He made an irritated face, placing one hand on his hip, the other removing his mask.

 

"Officer, you can't do that." he complained, pulling Minju away to the safety of his broad back.

 

"W-who?" the old man, calming down, asked.

 

"Kim Hanbin, iKON's leader. My manager was here awhile ago, I heard." he bowed as a sign of respect despite the scene he walked into. Why would he hit Minju? It pissed him; he would've cursed if not for his idol image.

 

"Ah yes." he went back his seat and started typing again.

 

"Hanbin-oppa..." He turned his head and didn't know how to react. He's mad, irritated. He was bothered from his training when he heard his two managers whispering about putting the sasaengs into jail, making him run without permission, running to check on her, running to scold her for doing something so dangerous. "You stay there." he held her still, answering the officer's queries.

 

"Some are underage, some are not--" the man glared at DaHee, "but since you're saying you won't press any charges then we'd have to let them go. Except, the under-aged ones have to be picked up by their guardians." Hanbin felt her stiffen under his grasp.

 

"I see." he said, "but you have to let her go or she'll miss her train home. It's pretty far."

 

Before the officer could reply, Hanbin bowed down. "I'll take responsibility." He dragged her out without another word.

 

"Oppa!" Minju cooed again and again. "Hanbin-oppa..."

 

"Jeon Minju!" he stopped on his tracks and turned. "Don't you ever do that again. I told you you could follow me around but don't do something dangerous!"

 

She was avoiding his eyes. "We trespassed and I admit bringing the others was dangerous, but climbing balconies isn't really tha--"

 

He was looking at her face. He swore he was only looking at her face. He didn't know when he pulled his hand out and touched her face. He didn't know why he tucked that goddamn stray of blond hair that was blocking her puffy cheeks. She was spewing words but he couldn't pay attention anymore. He was so worried a while ago, and now he was relieved. His palm graced her skin and he wondered if it still stung, the cheek that his manager cruelly hit. He looked for the tear tracks he couldn't wipe that night and traced it with his fingers. His head spun and he wanted to say something. But he couldn't. He was as tongue-tied as she was.

 

But SeolHyun. He remembered like a punch in the gut. He was supposed to meet her.

 

He pulled away and stared at the pavement. "Go home."

 

 

He must be crazy. He was running again. But he was running away from Minju. Running away to meet his woman. He suddenly wished a car could just whip him away and his confusion could disappear along with him. He was doing something wrong. He was hurting SeolHyun for meeting Minju again. And he was hurting Minju for lying to her. Touching her was too much. He shouldn't have done that. He should've listened when JinHwan was slapping him with the inevitable truth.

 

"Seol--"

 

She was crying. It was his fault.

 

"SeolHyun-ah..." he couldn't even say sorry. He has sinned too much. He hurt the person he swore to protect and love all his life. His muse, the reason he couldn't sleep and end up writing songs instead. "Hit me. Just hit me, please." he wanted to touch her but she backed away, shaking her head.

 

"Do you still want to continue this relationship?" she cried. "I don't think you do, Kim Hanbin." she swallowed and wiped her wet face. "We should call it off." she tore the couple bracelet he gave her. It was the only couple accessory he could discreetly wear on broadcasts. Something significant, something that gave him strength.

 

She was turning away, wounded but still beautiful like the first time he laid eyes on her. But he couldn't move. Because even if he caught her, he wouldn't know know what to say, or what excuse to give. He was a jerk. And he was damn hell confused.

 


 

"Jeon Minju!" She almost jumped when he suddenly faced her, "Don't you ever do that again. I told you you could follow me around but don't do something dangerous!"

 

She bowed down in shame, pursing her lips and clutching her hands behind her like when her mother lectured her. "We trespassed and I admit bringing the others was dangerous, but climbing balconies isn't really tha--" She felt icy fingertips brush her cheek. Her eyes widened, trying to find meaning to what Hanbin was doing. He wasn't muttering any words, only... looking at her? He swept the hair dangling on her cheek, tucking it behind her her now red ear. Was it the sound of a hundred pistols firing, or a hundred drums being played? It was so loud she hoped Hanbin couldn't hear her unstable heart.

 

Or maybe he already did but was too preoccupied. He seemed to be searching something in her face, caressing her cheek and tracing it down to her frozen jaw. "Go home." she heard him say.

 

Everything shattered. Her eyes fluttered and she found herself staring back at her dull wall. She was slumped on her bed, the sun tearing through the lace curtains her mother managed to sneak in. She groaned. It was a dream. Only a dream.

 

But it happened, right? Hanbin shook her heart last night. Or maybe he was just brushing some dirt off her. She must have caught something when she was climbing the old greasy railings of the studio. She was over analyzing things again. Her life wasn't a fanfiction. She wished it was though.

 

She rolled off the bed to reach her desk when her phone rang. It was a beautiful Saturday. She's supposed to head to JaeIn's house to cook for the iKON members who have a schedule in Music Core at four.

 

"Hello, JaeIn-ah." she murmured, trying to hide her yawn.

 

"Yah, Blondie."

 

She threw away the white blanket covering her.

 

"Had the time of your life? You better had cause I got a good scolding yesterday for letting you escape." Kim Yuna was greeting her a very good morning. The hell. How the girl even got her number was a mystery. "Now back to that favor you owe me..."

 

Not good. Not good.

 


 

A/N: I realized too late that I forgot to put in Jjangah, Kai's third pet. I'll see if I can use it in the future though. ;) You guys better comment on this because I was hella blushing when I was writing Minju and Hanbin's scene. I've been reading some blush-inducing novels lately and it's super effective!

 

Please just don't plagiarize people's hardwork.
jj Copyright 2015