Love Like Yesterday

Love Like Yesterday

People change, things come and go. happens, but still life goes on. Moving on was not easy. It was a daily dose of reminiscing all the memories while killing your own emotional state at the same time. Irene doesn’t know where to start. It was hard. It took her the longest time to move on. She spent most of her time in school, involving herself in different competitions in and out of her campus. The diversion of her attention and focus led her at the top. She got the highest award when she graduated from her senior year. She got into a beautiful college in Daegu, though it was not the thing she wanted.

 

Irene became the happiest person when her mom finally approved her request to transfer to Dongguk University. It was her dream university ever since. If it wasn’t for and because of Seulgi, she would’ve not aimed to study in that prestigious school.

 

Irene's mom decided to resign and find a new job in Seoul just to be with her daughter. Her mom knew that Irene isn’t happy at her present college. She knew the promises she made with Seulgi. It took her some time to think about Irene studying in that university. She thought of how her memories with Seulgi will bother her but if this will pave the way for her to forget everything, she'll take the risk. Moving on is you need to go back from the past until you realize it's done and already gone.

 

"Irene! Hurry up! It's your first day", Irene's mom shouted as she knocked on the door of Irene's room.

 

"Mom I am almost done. I'm coming!"

 

Irene wore her coat and tied her shoelaces and was set to go when she suddenly stopped and looked at herself on the mirror. She looked at herself like she was another person. The thought of her going to Dongguk haven’t sinked in yet. She just can't believe everything.

 

"You'll be fine. Everything's going to be fine Irene", she whispered as she walked out from her room.

 

Irene went straight to her mom who was waiting for her at the living room. With a thought of it, her mom hugged her tight and didn’t say anything. With the warmth of her hug, Irene knew what her mom is trying to tell her thru her gestures. "Irene, don’t worry. You'll be fine". Her mom can’t just express her feelings thru words because she finds it dramatic but her gestures just makes everything even more dramatic. They walked out from the house together and Irene's mom drove her to school.

 

They reached the university and Irene was staring blankly at the gate. Many things were bothering her... "What if she's there? What if she ignores me? What if---" Irene had these questions running in her mind, what ifs which cannot be answered if she'll just stay there and not do anything.

 

Irene looked at her mom, "Mom. I am going."

 

Her mom took her bag from the back seat, gave it to her and "Do good today", as she smiled.

 

Irene gave her a hug and they part ways. Irene, who was out of words on how beatiful the university is, went straight to the guard house as she entered the premises.

 

"Ex- excuse me Sir?", she timidly said as she spoke to the guard.

 

"Yes. How may I help you?"

 

"Hi Sir! Im Ir---"

 

"You must be a transferee.", said the guard which stopped Irene from introducing herself.

 

"Y-yes. I am Sir."

 

"What's your name again?"

 

"Irene. My name is Irene Sir."

 

"I--i--i-- I got it!", he exclaimed as he took something from the box. "Here is your university badge, Ms. Irene Bae, and the map to accompany you around the campus."

 

Irene held out her hands and took the badge and map. She smiled and thanked the guard.

 

"You should hurry up. First class is about to start."

 

"Ah! Y-yes sir. Thank you very much Sir Park.. Sir Park Bogum."

 

"At you service!", he blurted out as he winked at the new student, Irene.

 

Irene didn’t waste her time and rushed to look for her room. Thanks to the map, she got in even before the first bell rang..

 

-

 

"Have you seen the transferee?", asked Joy.

 

"What? Who?", said the ever clueless Wendy.

 

Wendy and Joy are friends for almost 4 years now. Joy is a straightforward person while Wendy is not. Joy talks a lot while Wendy doesn’t. Joy's an average in class while Wendy is not, she is always on top. Though they’re different in many ways, these unlikeness made their relationship stronger.

 

"Here we go again Wendy. Can you just pay attention when I tell you something? I am so offended."

 

"I'm sorry okay? So what is it again?", Wendy humbly said to prevent Joy from getting mad again.

 

"Hmmm so I heard she will be in your class. Probably when you get in, she's seated infront of you and for sure she'll also steal your spot in class," Joy teased.

 

"What are you talking about? No one dared to sit in front of me. She's a transferee from a far away land.  She doesn’t have the guts to do it.", Wendy arrogantly stated.

 

* bell rings *

 

"Okay then Wendy. I'll see you later.  And don’t forget to tell me everything about the transferee", Joy said with a smirk as she ran to her class.

 

Wendy, who was bothered about what her friend said, closed her book and went to class. She was almost in front of the door when some of her classmates ran to her...

 

"You need see something Wendy..."

 

"You won’t believe this.."

 

"What are you talking about?," asked puzzled Wendy as she stepped in to her classroom.

 

She can’t believe it with her own eyes, Joy was right. She saw the transferee seated in front of her seat.

 

" Joy! She jinxed all of these", the only thing that Wendy thought of. She walked to her seat when she saw the transferee smiled at her. Wendy didn’t even bother to smile back.

 

"Okay class.", their teacher said as she walked in the room. "I know you've heard about it and I believe you have seen her already. Here with us, is your new classmate. Can you come here in front and introduce yourself?"

 

As soon as the teacher asked her, Irene stood from her seat with small steps as she walked in front. Wendy who was still shocked about everything Joy has said, didn’t look at her.

 

"H- Hi everyone! I am Irene from the province of Daegu.", she nervously said as she roamed her eyes around the room.

 

"I-- I know I am new here but I hope you can help me cope up with everything that I need to know. Let's get along well", she ended up her introductory sentence looking at Wendy who seemed to be uninterested with her.

 

Wendy out of nowhere looked at Irene and was shocked that Irene was looking and smiling at her. Irene went back to her seat and the class started.

 

* bell rings *

 

Wendy went out immediately as she took her phone and she called Joy... Joy who wasnt answering her phone..

 

"What's with her again?", asked Wendy to herself. She was about to call her again when she saw the new student, Irene walking towards her.

 

"Come on Joy answer the freakin’ phone!", she whispered as she saw Irene getting near her.

 

"H- Hi! Wendy?", said the transferee.

 

Wendy tried to ignore her but Irene flashed a beautiful smile which was hard to ignore.

 

"What do you want from me?", she wanted to ask but the only thing that came out from is "Hi."

 

"I- I heard you’re the top in class. I hope we can get along."

 

Wendy didn’t know what to say, thanks to Joy who, at last, answered the phone..

 

"Excuse me, I have to talk to someone.", Wendy said.

 

"Okay", the transferee said.

 

Wendy moved away from Irene as she talked to Joy.

 

"Why aren’t you answering my calls?!"

 

"Oh gosh Wendy. So tell me, why am I talking to you right now if I didn’t answer your call?", Joy jokingly asked to annoy Wendy.

 

"Urgh you dimwit! Where the hell are you?!" Wendy wasn’t able to control her voice so Irene heard her. She was giggling when mad Wendy looked at her. The cute transferee pretended to be looking at the other side just to hide her laugh.

 

"I’m sorry, I wasn’t able to tell you. Im going to meet someone right now so you don’t even bother waiting for me...."

 

"But you said---"

 

"I'll talk to you later Wendy. Bye!"

 

"B-but Joy! Hey Joy! Urgh damn it!", yelled Wendy as she heard her cut the line.

 

"Is there something wrong?", asked the clueless Irene. Wendy who was pissed that time shouted at her unintentionally...

 

"Nothing! And if there us something wrong, you're out of it. You're just a new student so could you please back off!?"

 

Irene was taken aback by Wendy's action. Never in her life had she experienced this kind of treatment from someone. She was shocked. Nope, more on, she was scared.

 

"I- I'm sorry...", the only thing she said as she walked away.

 

Wendy, who was able to keep her cool, realized what she has done to the transferee. It was rude. She ran to where Irene went but she couldn’t find her anymore. She felt so apologetic for her action.

 

Wendy is not as mean as what everyone thought her to be. She's not just comfortable around new people that sometimes she gets annoyed easily for no reason. She's not insecure rather she's not just as friendly as other people.

 

Irene, on the other side, walked out of the school and waited for her mom at the front gate.

 

"I bet you're the new student?" asked by someone who was passing by.

 

"Y-yes I am."

 

"So you're Wendy's classmate? Where is she?"

 

It was Joy. She wasn’t able to meet her friend that's why she went back to school to look for Wendy.

 

"I- I don’t know", the transferee stuttered.

 

"Are you alright?", Joy asked as she noticed the transferee's troubled face. She kept on looking at her but she just looked down.

 

"By the way, I a Joy. I am Wendy’s friend”, she said as she tried to lift up the atmosphere. Joy held her hands out.

 

“I- I am Irene”, she plainly said as she bowed.

 

Joy immediately pulled her hand to her side because Irene didn’t bother to shake hands with her.

 

“I am younger than you. Is it okay if I’ll drop the honorifics? I am not used to it”, Joy conversed.

 

“Uhh—“

 

“What’s wrong with her?”, Joy thought. She kept on looking at her and she tried to think of something to lift her mood…

 

“Joy!!”

 

Someone called her from distance. It’s Wendy, walking towards them.

 

“Where the hell have you---“

 

Wendy stopped in the middle of her interrogation when she saw Irene behind Joy. She was covering her face with her long hair looking down. Joy noticed something between the two…

 

“This is weird. What happened with you two?”, Joy asked.

 

No one dared to answer her, in short, she got ignored again.

 

“I have to go now”, Irene suddenly said as she bowed at them, hopped in the car which stopped in front of them and went away.

 

Joy turned to Wendy to ask her…

 

“Let’s go. Don’t even bother asking anything”, Wendy said even before she asked anything.

 

 

-- END OF CHAPTER 2 --

 

---

Aww. Chapter 1 was tragic and I had to write a somewhat short and sad chapter 2. I am sorry, WenRene's first meeting isn't that good. The question is, will Seulrene meet again? Ooops that, you'll know in the upcoming chapters 😉 I hope you'll continue reading my story. This is purpledeity... Annyeong!~ 😉