8...

Too Cool to be True

Sorry. Had a writer's block for a few days. My head was constipated from ideas until i read 'Fangirl' by rainbow rowell. So beautiful... such a beautiful book.

 

_________________

 

Somehow the tense atmosphere in school begins to normalize when students don't send death glares towards Kyungsoo anymore. At least, most of them. They either don't care or they're just tired of caring. It's not like Jongin pays any attention to the majority student population in school anyway. Yet, once a while, when he does absentmindedly wave back - though Kyungsoo could tell he's probably spacing out over food or music - it would cause an uproar of shy glances and heavy blushes erupting throughout the entire hallway.

 

Kyungsoo wonders if Jongin actually realize the effect he has on people in general.   

 

After confessing to each other two days back, both of them have somehow gotten closer overnight. They're practically stuck by the hips yesterday. Jongin has since joined along for lunch at Kyungsoo's usual table, drawing attention to the once invisible corner of the cafeteria. Sir Dimples and his boyfriend, Sir Troll, fill up the two extra seats fifteen minutes later. Conversations would then switch to the latest gossip in school because Hyunsik apparently told Jongdae that he likes Kyungsoo.

 

"I swore I could see little hearts in his eyes whenever you walked past. He's infatuated with you." Jongdae claims, biting into his sandwich.

 

Kyungsoo and Yixing exchange glances. Then they look at Jongin, whose expression has turned sour. Kyungsoo instantly knows he's jealous. The thought somehow brings a smile to his face. 

 

"Then tell him I'm taken." 

 

Jongdae does a smirk then. "I know. I told him that, but he said, 'Even when there's a goalkeeper standing guard, that doesn't mean the player can't score."
 

"." Surprisingly, this comes from Jongin. The tanned male rarely curses. "Before he could even kick that ball, I'll fling the goal post into his face."

 

"You'll fling Kyungsoo into Hyunsik's face?" Yixing asks, amused. "This is one football match I must watch." Kyungsoo could only facepalm over the senior's remark.

 

"Xing ge, there would be no flinging happening anytime soon, so please don't encourage Jongin. I don't see how this is a big deal to be honest. I mean, so what if he likes me? I can't like him back. I like Jongin. Even if he tries anything on me, I'll still like Jongin more."

 

"You sound like you're dating already," says Jongdae. Then he stops, eyes blinking twice before looking back at Kyungsoo. "Wait, are you guys actually dating right now?"

 

Kyungsoo shrugs. "We are, in a way. But we're not boyfriends."

 

"Yet." Jongin feels the need to add, which puts a blush on Kyungsoo's face. "We're on a date right now, isn't it, Soo?"

 

Each of them has a burger in their hands; a cheeseburger for Jongin and a fish fillet burger for Kyungsoo. Since they've been doing more talking than eating for the last fifteen minutes, the cheese has begun to drip onto the tray and mayonnaise is trickling down Kyungsoo's hands. There's a sesame seed on Jongin's lower lip which tempts the shorter male to it off if he could. He refrains because they're in the middle of a busy cafeteria and there're students everywhere. Eyes everywhere. Also, since Kyungsoo had only gotten four hours of sleep last night, no thanks to Jongin who insisted that they stay on the phone for two hours past their bedtime and listen to some music he recommended, Kyungsoo came to school with hair sticking out four corners of the world and missing a tie on his uniform. The collar hangs open the whole day, revealing his smooth pale collarbone. 

 

If this is a date, Kyungsoo wants to wail. They look like they've past the point of caring how to look good for a date, and it's only been their second date.

 

"I guess we are..." He says softly, biting into his burger and he could feel Jongin's gaze on him. It's time to change the subject. "Anyway, I'm going back to Daegu after school. I need a suit for the prom and my dad's too busy to come all the way to Seoul just to send me for a fitting."

 

"Will you be skipping school tomorrow?" Yixing asks.

 

"Maybe."

 

Jongdae doesn't seem to mind Kyungsoo's sudden need to return home. He gets the dorm for himself tonight, which means Yixing gets to stay a night and that means, spending hours of playing games and frolicking in the dark. It's too beautiful of a chance to pass. "Go ahead then. I'll let the admin know that you have an emergency at home." Yixing slaps him in the thigh because Jongdae's being a troll in front of his juniors. He also gets a 'Don't defile their innocent minds further' look which puts a grin on his face.

 

Yixing's the best, really. 

 

"Jongin, do you want to come along?" Kyungsoo asks, and it takes a second for the invitation to seep in. 

 

"You want me to follow you all the way to Daegu? Today?"

 

Kyungsoo simply shrugs. "Yeah, if you wanna. I could ask your parents for you. I mean, if you wanna, yanno. You don't have to say yes... I'm just asking." He trails off, indicating quite clearly that he wants Jongin to go along.

 

However, the taller male isn't sure if he could. His mom wouldn't like the idea of his son suddenly traveling out the city on such short notice, with a friend they've only met once. 

 

"Look, if it's about asking your parents' permission, I could also ask my mum to call your mum. No worries, I think we'll be pretty safe if we follow all the crowded pathways. I haven't actually gone back to Daegu for almost three months now, but I still remember which direction to take."

 

"Hm... ok, I guess. Would your parents mind though? Me tagging along, I mean."

 

"Yeah, they haven't met any of my friends from here yet, not even Jongdae hyung and Xing ge, so I think they'd be ecstatic to meet you."

 

It's not even a month yet since they started talking, and already both boys are halfway through a marriage ritual; meeting each other's parents, staying over for dinner, reviewing old childhood photos, just wow.

 

"I feel like we're already married," Jongin says, scrunching up his nose. It's not like he loathes the idea of getting married and having twenty kids someday... it's just too soon to imagine a life with Kyungsoo yet. They're not even past their second date, the burgers are getting unappetizing by the second and they still have two more classes to attend.

 

Once school ends, Kyungsoo gives his mum a call, explaining to her about why he's coming home so suddenly in the middle of the week when there's still school the next day. Then he tells her about Jongin and her tone relaxes a bit because at least her son wouldn't be alone during the whole four hours ride home. "Mum, could you talk to Jongin's mum to let him tag along with me?"

 

"Sure thing, dear. Give me her number."

 

Jongin relays his mum's number to Mrs.Do on the phone and then they wait for her to call back. A few minutes later, Kyungsoo's phone lights up to display his mum's number. "Did you talk to her, mum?"

 

"Yes I did and she said yes. She also told me to tell you that she wants Jongin to come home first so that she could give him extra money for the bus fare."

 

"Noted, mum. See you in a few hours. Love you."

 

"Love you too, dear." Then she puts down the phone.

 

"Your mum says yes, but we'll have to stop by your place first. She wants to give you money for the bus fare."

 

"Ok." Jongin simply nods, despite having extra cash in his wallet. He knows that his mum only wants to make sure that he'll be okay traveling all the way to Daegu with Kyungsoo. It's not that she doesn't trust Kyungsoo or anything. This is probably the first time he's going somewhere a little farther than Seoul by himself.

 

They walk to Jongin's house, the back of their hands constantly grazing against one another, but neither boys make the first move to hold the other's hand. Probably in the secluded section of the library, or in Kyungsoo's dorm, things would have been different. None of them are afraid to initiate any sort of skinship between one another. But out here in the open, with eyes constantly on the watch, holding hands seem like a bad idea.

 

They settle with minor, discreet touching and occasionally glancing at the other. Kyungsoo could keep his eyes facing forward, but Jongin's too entranced by the mere presence on that of Do Kyungsoo, so he couldn't keep his eyes away most of the time. Kyungsoo tries not to blush over the burning gaze that he could literally feel from the tanned male. 

 

He also concludes that Kim Jongin does not have sublety written in his dictionary.

 

"Uncle!" Rahee's the first to fly out through the door the moment she sees Jongin approaching the house. He picks up the four-year old, throwing her into the air while she giggles adorably, before catching her into a tight squishy hug. "How was school, uncle?"

 

"School was great." Then he motions her towards Kyungsoo, who only watch them quietly from behind, a wide smile on his face. "Do you remember uncle Soo?"

 

"Of course I remember uncle Soo. I want to marry him someday."

 

Jongin scrunches up his nose, taken aback by her remark. For some odd reason, the green monster inside him is rearing its tail, and he blinks, suddenly wondering why he would feel so strongly against an innocent remark like that. "Why do you want to marry him?"

 

"Because uncle Soo is handsome." She says rather chirpily, smiling sweetly at both of them.

 

"Oh no you won't, you're too young to think of boys that way. I won't allow you to become like me." Jongin says with a tone of finality in his voice, immediately crumbling inside when the smile of Rahee's face fades away slowly.

 

"What do you mean, uncle Jongin?"

 

Kyungsoo couldn't help but blush when Jongin turns his head slightly to say, "Because he's mine and no one else could like him but me." There's a confused look on Rahee's face when she couldn't understand what he meant. Kyungsoo wonders if she would tell her mum and grandparents about this, but she appears to have gone into a contemplative state for a moment.

 

Then she asks, "So I can't like someone that uncle Jongin likes?"

 

"That's right, sweetpea." He kisses her forehead, carrying her into the house while Kyungsoo follows quietly from behind. Mrs Kim is still busy in the kitchen when they enter. None of Jongin's sisters are around. And Mr Kim hasn't return from work. The house is quiet except for the sound of dishes and cutleries being washed in the sink.

 

"I don't get it, uncle. Does it mean I can't love daddy because mummy loves him?"

 

"Your parents are an exception." Jongin doesn't want to argue with his niece, but he couldn't help feeling a little jealous when she makes sudden claims like that. Why would she want to marry Kyungsoo? Why would anyone want to marry Kyungsoo?

 

Except Jongin, of course. Only I'm allowed to marry him.

 

He can't believe he was jealous over his four-year-old niece. A four year old! He's so embarassed over his jealousy outburst that he couldn't quite look at Kyungsoo in the eye after that. He gently places his niece on the couch before stalking over to his mum to give her a quick kiss on the cheek. Kyungsoo could hear her say something to Jongin, but he couldn't make out what it is. His attention is then drawn back to Rahee, who gazes at him with innocent, bright eyes and a cherry smile. "Uncle Soo, do you like uncle jongin too?"

 

Lying to a kid should be a crime, so Kyungsoo nods his head. "Yes, I do."

 

"Will you marry him then?"

 

"I don't know about that yet."

 

"I promise I won't tell my mummy. I won't tell grandpa and grandma too." What a smart kid.

 

"Thanks a lot, Rahee."

 

"Could I get a kiss on the cheek though?" She's also cunning, Kyungsoo decides. A little kiss on the cheek wouldn't hurt so he leans forward just as she wraps her arms around his neck, and he places a soft kiss on both side of her face, one on each cheek. "Thank you, uncle Soo."

 

Jongin interrupts them when he suddenly clears his throat near the doorway leading to the kitchen. "Mum gave me extra money, so let's go. We wouldn't want to be late."

 

"Have fun, uncle!" Rahee then releases her arms around Kyungsoo's neck, going over to Jongin to give him a hug before entering the kitchen to pester her grandmother. Kyungsoo could only smile sheepishly at Jongin, eventhough he thinks it's cute that the tanned male would get so affected over his four-year-old niece like that.

 

"I'll be back tomorrow, mum." Jongin tells his mother.

 

"Hmm... aren't you bringing any spare clothes for the night?"

 

"I can just borrow Kyungsoo's sleeping clothes. It's too much of a hassle to pack up." They're still wearing their school uniform, which they probably wouldn't need tomorrow because there's no chance of returning to Seoul before 7am. Buses don't even operate so early in the morning.

 

"If you say so, sweetie. Kyungsoo, do you need any money just in case?"

 

"No thank you, ma'am. I've got it covered."

 

"Alright then. Be safe, both of you. Jongin, don't forget to call me once you arrive, ok? Kyungsoo has a phone, right? Do you mind if my son use it for a minute to call us?"

 

"Not at all, Mrs. Kim. He can use it whenever."

 

"Thank you, sweetie."

 

They're out of the door seconds later, baked under the bright hot sun once more. It's still 3 o'clock in the afternoon when they make their way to the bus sentral in Seoul, purchasing tickets for the 4 o'clock ride because then they'll have time to have some snacks before the four hours journey. When they eventually arrive in front of the Do's residence, it's already nighttime, way past dinner time. Thankfully, Mrs Do saved some food for them. Jongin quickly calls his mum first before settling down for dinner.

 

"I've got your suit all ironed out, dear. It's on your study desk." She tells her son, who's been scooping up so much rice into his mouth until his cheeks become bloated - looking very much like a chipmunk. Jongin tries not to laugh at the shorter male, though he won't deny that Mrs Do has superb cooking skills.

 

"Mm, thanks mum..." Kyungsoo hums out.

 

After dinner, Kyungsoo tries not to pass out from embarassment when Jongin eventually sees his room. There're posters plastered everywhere! Of punk rock bands, classic bands, modern rock bands, bands that he couldn't recognize, bands that are definitely not English, and a large amount of TVXQ that it hurts to stare (at least for most of Kyungsoo's middle school guy friends who used to come by last time) "Is this Swedish?" Jongin points to one that's taped to the ceiling. Kyungsoo woke up every morning to stare at them first because that's a limited edition poster which cost him half of his month's allowance.

 

"Yeah." Kyungsoo croaks, ears turning red because his room is very much like what a teenage room would look like, but it doesn't fit the personality he's been showing Jongin so far. Ever since he left Daegu to study in Seoul, he doesn't put posters on the wall, he doesn't listen to his usual choice of music so much, and he would only watch animes when Jongdae's not around. He's trying to mature, yet his old self would somehow crawl back eventually. Perhaps trying to mature at the age of 16 is too soon.

 

"I prefer rock music over pop-trash, to be honest. I also listen to classical music, like Bach and Beethoven and all. You know... just in case you're wondering." He wants to look cool in front of Jongin.

 

"I thought you like TVXQ?" Jongin asks. "I assumed you prefer pop music."

 

"TVXQ is an exception. How can anyone not like them? They're practically legends!"

 

Jongin chuckles at this. "Yeah, that's true. So let me get this straight... from what I gather, you're not exactly a nerd nerd because you listen to cool music like this." Kyungsoo nods, thinking that 'yes, rock music is cool. But having posters of bands all over the place make it look like an obsession.' "You watch animes and Pororo, and sometimes you do romance chick flicks. Wow, your range of preferences is quite wide. How do you juggle--" He does a hand gesture to show everything in the room. "-- all these?"

 

"I don't try too hard to like one thing, except TVXQ of course. I think everything else is just by-the-way kind of preferences. I could survive a week without watching anime, but I can't survive a day without scrolling through Tumblr to see what Changmin's been up to. He's my bias by the way. Since I'm already weird as it is, I might as well reveal everything. I'm sure I can't get any weirder than this."

 

"I don't think you're weird, Soo."

 

"I wake up every morning to stare at pictures of shirtless men." He nods towards the posters on the ceiling. "I collect Yu-gi-oh cards because I like to battle out with myself whenever I was bored. Most of the shirts in my cupboard have either anime characters printed on top, or band logos. I have a large human-sized Pororo doll on my bed. I'm weird, Jongin. I'm everywhere, but not quite so either."

 

"I think you're cute." Jongin says with finality in his tone, before sitting down on Kyungsoo's bed, which has a Pororo bedspread, with Krong pillows and a Pororo duvet. "Now come here so I could kiss you. It's difficult to kiss you at my house earlier because Rahee was watching us. The bus ride was too bumpy. And dinner took too long because there was so much food. So now, I want to kiss you. Here."

 

Kyungsoo shyly moves across the room to sit in Jongin's lap, and then align their lips into a chaste kiss which somehow turn a little heated when Jongin daringly flicks his tongue into Kyungsoo's mouth. The shorter male moans at the intrusion, eventhough he doesn't despise it. It's hot, wet, and sweet - Jongin reigning dominance despite Kyungsoo being the one on top.

 

The tanned male then slides back onto the bed, taking Kyungsoo with him, not once breaking the kiss. His arms are wrapped around the shorter male's waist, fingers gently massaging the small of his back, while Kyungsoo uses his elbows to support his weight on top of Jongin, and his fingers absentmindedly twirling with the wavy locks of Jongin's hair.

 

At that point, none of them cares if the door is locked; if Kyungsoo's parents might suddenly barge in to see their son in the arms of another male.

 

Kyungsoo pulls back first, cheeks flushed over the intimacy they've just shared. "Jongin..."

 

"Kyungsoo..." Jongin mutters back, panting slightly.

 

"W-we should ah... take a shower first. I'm feeling sticky right now."

 

"Yeah, ok..." Kyungsoo gets off then, pulling a towel from one of the drawers nearby before shuffling out of the room. Jongin takes this time to think about what just happened between them. This would be the first real kiss they shared. The one they had two days ago isn't as passionate and fiery, so Jongin wonders if he should count that.

 

It feels good to kiss Do Kyungsoo.

 

When Kyungsoo returns from the bathroom, Jongin takes his cue to shower. It's been a long day, with a lot of walking in between. They have assignments to complete, due by Friday, so right after they're done showering, dressed up in Kyungsoo's old T-shirts and shorts, the both of them lay out all their books and stationaries on the floor. 

 

"Biology first." Kyungsoo says.

 

"No, chemistry first. I'm so weak with all these chemical formulas."

 

They agree to start with English first, since it's the hardest among all the subjects. Thankfully, Kyungsoo's skills are passable, so he could easily spot a familiar word and translate it into Korean. Jongin's struggling a little, dependant upon the English-Korean dictionary that Kyungsoo lent to him. All their homework takes two hours to complete, and by then, it's already time for bed.

 

11pm.

 

Mrs Do comes in to check on them. "Are you boys still awake?"

 

"Yeah, mum, but we're almost done." Kyungsoo replies. She gives them a little smile, before nodding her head.

 

"Just don't sleep so late, ok. I know you'll have to skip school tomorrow, but that's no excuse for waking up late."

 

"Yes mum."

 

"Alright then. Goodnight to both of you."

 

"Good night, mum."

 

"Good night, Mrs Do." The both of them say in unison.

 

It feels odd to share the same bed with one's crush. Jongin's basically curled up against his back, one arm coming around his waist to draw him closer until there's barely a gap between them, while the other arm becomes a makeshift pillow for Kyungsoo's head. The lack of space was the excuse they agreed upon before settling down into bed, since none of them want to sleep on the floor, so they'll have to make-do their sleeping arrangement with such limited space.

 

Kyungsoo feels warm and snuggled by the time they get into a comfortable position, with Jongin spooning him from behind. He could feel warm breath fanning over his head, a sure sign that the tanned male has fallen asleep. Kyungsoo listens to the sound of Jongin's breathing a little longer before exhaustion eventually lures him to sleep, hoping that morning would not come so soon.

 

Morning comes with a gasp from someone standing in the middle of Kyungsoo's room. He cracks an eye open into a slit, taking in the dreadful sunlight that's drifting in from the window, before spotting the neighbour's daughter just a few feet away. "Minah?"

 

"You're in bed! With a man! Oh my gosh, he's cute." She squeals, coming closer.

 

"What the hell are you doing in my room?" Kyungsoo groans, getting up. Jongin doesn't stir from his sleep though. He merely rolls the other way.

 

"I saw you coming home yesterday and I thought I'd pay you a visit today. What? Did you forget your childhood best friend already?" She asks, eyes twinkling. "Didn't think I'd find you sleeping in the same bed with your friend though?"

 

"I don't like your tone." He gets out of bed, stretching his body to shake away the sleep. "And I still don't like the way you barge in 90% of the time, as if you own the place. You always catch me doing something weird."

 

"We're best friends. Why wouldn't you be weird to me? Gosh, Soo, don't be such a prick. Anyway, who's your friend?"

 

"No one." Kyungsoo says, frowning. "Now get out. I need to change."

 

"I'll eat your pancakes for being such an to me."

 

"Which is why you're my best friend." Kyungsoo sighs. "I doubt any girl could ever be like you."

 

"I take that as a compliment. Anyway, get changed quickly. I've got lots to tell you." She chirps, going out with a certain flair that only Minah could ever do. Kyungsoo kicks her in the for being annoying.

 

When he's quite sure Minah has gone downstairs, he locks the door before returning to bed. "Jongin, wake up. Mum made breakfast." He says, calling the tanned male.

 

Jongin stirs from his sleep slowly, opening his eyes to see Kyungsoo. "Good morning, Soo." His voice is heavily laced with sleep, giving off a deep sort of rumble that makes Kyungsoo's cheeks flush in pink. It's hot.

 

"Come on, get up, sleepyhead. Before the pancakes disappear."

 

Jongin gets up immediately, but not before stealing a quick kiss from Kyungsoo.