1..

Too Cool to be True

 

There he is again.

 

Kim 'y smirk' Jongin. Don't be fooled though, because he's very unlike his outward appearance. Whilst a stranger who has never stumbled into Jongin's life during their lifetime would think that Jongin is the definition of a Greek God, the reincarnation of Zeus' son, the epitome of y chocolate abs and mischievous side grins, he's like an adorable fluffy puppy in a real life. He doesn't like crowded areas because there's too many people constantly ogling him, he loves pop music but sometimes he's okay with classicial, he reads inspirational books about life in general, he sleeps more hours than he could count with his fingers, he dislikes cereal because they get all mushy when milk is poured in.

 

Do Kyungsoo is probably the opposite of Jongin.


He prefers classic rock music over pop trash, yet he pines after k-pop male groups on the internet -- TVXQ being the reason he's still breathing today. He's an avid fan of animes, especially mecha ones, but sometimes he's okay with cheesy romance flicks. He reads books about music and art, a good guitarist during his free time. During the winter season, he'll be the one all bundled up in layers of fluffy fur coats, making him stand out like a walking furball. People thinks he's cute, with his pretty heart-shaped smile and crinkly eye smiles everytime he laughs, but his personality at home is like a rotten egg ten days past its expiry date. Probably the reason for all his anger and frustration comes from Kim Jongdae, the senior best friend he's rooming with. 

 

Jongin and Kyungsoo are worlds apart. Or at least, two rows apart in class.

 

"Earth to squish! Helloooooo~! Can you hear me?" Jongdae's voice rings through his right ear, but Kyungsoo has long since mastered the art of letting that voice flow back out through the other ear, so Jongdae gives up talking to him altogether. He doesn't want to stop daydreaming about Kim Jongin, not when he's almost at the peak of an important breakthrough. Soon, he'll make Kim Jongin notice his existence in school, a plan he's been laying out for the past three months (with almost no help from Jongdae, that old camel) and this time, he swears on Jongdae's non-existent brain that the plan would work. It has to work.

 

Jongin will soon be his. 

 

He doesn't need alcohol running through his system to make his plan work. No, all he needs is a touch of courage and probably a really good suit to go along with it, because prom is coming up and he plans to ask Jongin to be his prom.

 

Stalking Jongin has not been a waste of time. In fact, ever since he started stalking said male, who is also in the same class as him, he's learned a lot about Jongin that other people would not have known if they never talked to him. Jongin is not what the general population of the school thinks of him. Behind all that heavy smirking, lidded bedroom eyes, and wild features, is a guy with a heart of gold. Kyungsoo has spied on Jongin in numerous occasions - during school, after school, locker room, club meetings, even on the weekends - quietly following him home at times. He's usually perched outside the window of Jongin's house that looks into the lanky male's living room, careful to not let anyone notice him, and he's seen Jongin in his most vulnerable. When he's around family members, his smile is always so radiant and bright, his eyes do not look bored like they always do in school, his whole facial feature would soften when he talks to his mother, cooing his niece in a playful manner, and when he's helping out with chores. He becomes a little serious when he's around his father, but Kyungsoo could see that Jongin admires his dad very much. 

 

The sight of the Kim family spending their weekends joyfully makes Kyungsoo feel all warm inside, recalling how his weekends had been before he entered high school. He decides that he wants to know more about Kim Jongin's life.

 

So he studies him intently, observing from afar but never really got close enough to talk.

 

Until today. 


Today's the day he'll ask Jongin out to prom. Prom is still a month away, but it's better to ask now before someone else snatches him. Jongdae gives him a rueful grin, as if he's already sorry for Kyungsoo because Jongin is unapproachable. Jongin is too far in ranks for Kyungsoo to reach. Kyungsoo simply returns a grimace, since he hasn't told Jongdae about his stalking escapade on Jongin yet. What's the point anyway? It's not like Jongdae cares about how Kyungsoo views Jongin. His roommate has his own eyes set on someone else; someone that Kyungsoo doesn't bother to know about. Not yet anyway. Jongdae's not someone who could keep a secret for long.

 

"Look, if it doesn't work out, just come back to the dorm and I'll make you hot chocolate." Jongdae says sincerely, ruffling Kyungsoo's hair after that and the boy lets out a groan.

 

"I'll be fine. There's nothing to worry about."

 

"I'll still be at home waiting for you to jump into my arms."

 

"You're making it sound as if I'm cheating on you. Go find your man crush, Kim Jongdae. I'll let you know whether Jongin accepts me or not, so make sure you check my text."

 

"Roger that, little squish. Now go out there and snatch your man."

 

Kyungsoo spends the next three hours staring at Jongin from behind a bookshelf in the library. Just like every other Wednesdays, Jongin spends his time in the library after school, flipping through pages of inspirational books that are meant to motivate one through life. Kyungsoo has tried reading those kind of books, only to fall face first into one and waking up an hour later with drool staining down from one corner of his mouth. Ew.

 

He probably can't approach Jongin with a 'hey, that's a pretty good book right?' without looking like a  stuttering fool soon after.

 

No, the last thing he wants is for Jongin to thinks he's an idiot. Someone suddenly lets out a loud cough behind him, causing Kyungsoo to stumble forward, with a rather embarrassing yelp as he lands on his hands and knees. 

 

When he looks over his shoulder to see who would dare disrupt his most important time of the day, a grinny Chinese guy from Jongdae's class is staring down at him. Zhang Yixing, or best be known as Sir Dimples in Kyungsoo's dictionary. "Kyungie, do you wanna go lunch with me?"  He asks, dimples creasing the  side of his cheeks and his eyes display an innocent intention. Kyungsoo could never turn down the guy, not only because he's a really good cook - particularly on Chinese food - but also because Kyungsoo doesn't want to hurt someone who has sincere feelings for him. 

 

"Sure thing, gege."

 

He reluctantly follows behind the Chinese senior, taking one final glance over his shoulder to look at Jongin when he could have sworn Jongin was looking back at him. Was he really staring, or was it just a passing glance too?

 

Kyungsoo couldn't ponder on it long enough because Yixing suddenly links an arm around his neck, telling him to hurry up. 

 

________________

 

Lunch goes along pretty well, kimbap and rice cakes being their main course of the day. Yixing really is an angel at heart, softspoken and polite though he's not without any humour. Kyungsoo laughs along once more when the senior does a broken imitation of a foreign Christina, an irony of hearing a foreigner imitating another foreigner. Then it's Kyungsoo's turn to imitate someone, and he chooses to do a cutesy one - in particular, Pororo. 

 

Yixing ends up melting from the overwhelming cuteness of his lunch partner, only stopping abruptly when he sees someone familiar passing by. "Oh, Jongin! There you are, I've been looking all over."

 

Kyungsoo immediately freezes in his spot, staring at the Chinese male as if he's seen a ghost, wondering if this is another one of Yixing's attempt at a joke. His face pales considerably when Jongin suddenly replies back from behind, with a curt 'hey hyung, do you need me for something?"

 

"Yeah, I'm having a party this Saturday cause my parents went back to China for a week. I want you to come." Yixing says, to which Kyungsoo sends him a horrified look because Jongin CANNOT be there! Not unless you want me to die, you traitor.

 

Yixing simply ignores him, flashing Jongin one of his signature dimply smiles, which never fails to seal the deal. There's technically nobody in this whole wide world who could ever say no when Yixing starts smiling like that. There's an immediate reply from Jongin and Kyungsoo might have detected a slight tinge of excitement under the tone of his voice, or maybe it's just the sound of Kyungsoo's heart pounding against his chest. "Sure thing, hyung. I'll be there the earliest." He thinks it's funny because Kyungsoo has never known Yixing to be close to Jongin. In fact, he's never EVER seen nor heard of them being alone together, even in the cafeteria.

 

Right after Jongin leaves, Kyungsoo demands an explanation from Yixing . "How did you know him? Were you two close? How come you never told me? Why didn't you introduce me to him? Is he seriously gonna be at the party?! I'll die. This is the end for me. You betrayed me." 

 

Yixing simply ruffles his hair in a loving manner, "You guys are so cute, you know." Kyungsoo's about to ask him what he meant by that, but then Kim Jongdae suddenly appears with an empty tray, telling Kyungsoo to lay his hands off Yixing. It doesn't take long for Kyungsoo to work out why. His expression becomes significantly brighter, switching gazes between Yixing and Jongdae before shrieking out, "You guys are together?! I thought Yixing ge has the hots for me."

 

"Hots my . He only treats you like a little brother, you dimwit. Anyway, we've only recently started going out together. Like a few weeks back, right, Xing?" The Chinese male nods.

 

Kyungsoo gives them a pout. "Then how come you're always asking me to go lunch with you, Xing ge? And always treating me like I'm special."

 

"Jongdae usually has student council meetings during lunch break, so you're the only one who's available to accompany me. Anyway, I treat you like I would treat my own little brother."

 

"Wow, thanks a lot for making me second choice. " Kyungsoo deadpans, scooting aside to let Jongdae squeeze in between them. Kyungsoo gives them a lookover and realize how relieved he suddenly feels. So Yixing doesn't actually have feelings for him. He's actually been misunderstanding the whole situation ever since the day Yixing started lunching with him on a regular basis. Wow, now I feel stupid, Kyungsoo thinks. Then thoughts of Jongin return to him in full force once more, and he doesn't bear this overwhelming guilt in his chest anymore. At least now he could fall in love with Jongin unconditionally without feeling as though he's about to break something precious. It's honestly a torturous ordeal to think of a way to turn down the Chinese male - especially sweet angel Yixing.

 

 "So, did cha manage to ask Jongin to the prom?" Jongdae asks. Kyungsoo blinks.

 

"He's asking Jongin to the prom? Well, you'll have plenty of chance then, especially at my party this weekend."

 

"Sure sure..." Kyungsoo hastily waves their remarks off. He doesn't want to think about the party right now, not when there's something more important he needs to ask; something he forgot to ask Yixing earlier. "Xing ge, when you saw Jongin earlier... did he uh... uh... was he already standing there when I was uh... imitating Pororo?"

 

"Yeah, he was."

 

Wow, thanks a lot, Sir Dimples, for not informing this earlier. 

 

"So..." Kyungsoo swallows loudly, adam's apple bobbing up and down before he forces the next words out, "Did he...uh... notice me then?"

 

"I'm pretty sure he was smiling at you. Or trying not to laugh, at least. You were so cute, Kyungie ah!"

 

Kyungsoo internally facepalms, wondering why he's not buried six feet under yet.