Chapter 27

(Extra)ordinary

 

 

You were having the nicest dream about a platter of chocolates when something had buzzed near the side of your head. The first thing you thought of naturally was bees, and you swatted away around your head while holding your plate of food close. While protecting the silver platter, your elbow collided into something hard and that forced you to open your eyes.

It took you a while to actually get up after that. You ended up hitting your elbow against your bedframe and the funny bone ached even after you sit up to see where the buzzing was coming from. There, at the edge of your bed, was your phone still attached to the charger.

 

Chanyeol was calling you.

 

“Hello?” You croaked as your throat felt clogged from just waking up.

 

“Hello? Hey! Why can’t I see you?” Chanyeol screamed into your ear.

 

You jerked your phone back and held your aching ear drum until the pain dulled down. It was too early for Chanyeol to be acting like this. Focusing your eyes onto the screen to see what he was talking about, you saw Chanyeol eagerly smiling and then realized he had video called you.

 

“Hey! Are you awake?”

 

Clearing your throat, you began to speak. “Yeah, why?”

 

“Oh good!” Chanyeol chirped. “Can I ask you something?”

 

“You already did.” You hummed.

 

While Chanyeol complained about how unfair you were being, you took the liberty to slide out of bed and use the bathroom. With the phone placed against the covers and Chanyeol distracted, you had enough time to wash your face. You even grabbed your toothbrush and began to brush your teeth before Chanyeol’s yelling brought you back to your room.

 

“Hey! Stop ignoring me!”

 

“I wasn’t.” You said honestly, “Can I ask what you wanted to ask me?”

 

You stared into the camera expecting Chanyeol to finally stop blabbering on to tell you about why he called you so early in the morning, but he didn’t speak. Rather, he held himself back from speaking to you at all. With his arms crossed and cheeks slightly puffed out, you could see he was sulking.

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing.” He mumbled under his breath, not bothering to look at you through the camera. “It’s nothing.”

 

Letting out a sigh yourself, you finished brushing your teeth and heard a dog barking outside somewhere. The sound echoed from your neighborhood and into your room, loud noise crackling through the speakers of your phone with every bark.

That wasn’t normal. It was possible that the noise could echo from your mic, through Chanyeol’s speakers and back through his mic to you, but Chanyeol had earbuds in. The long white cords were visibly plugged in to his elfish ears.

Squinting in see him better, Chanyeol was sitting against something. It resembled a door and the more you looked at it, the more it looked like your front door to your house.

 

“Chanyeol, how about this.” You sat on your bed and saw a pair of men’s shoes just beyond the window frame outside. “If I let you come in for breakfast, will you stop sulking?”

 

“I’m not sulking!” He whined, voice audible from the window more than your phone. “Hmph.”

 

He turned his head away and you frowned, seeing that your bribing wasn’t going to work right now.

 

“What if I do whatever you say for today? Anything you want.”

 

You didn’t understand why you were giving in to something so small like this. Maybe it was because nobody else had made you so frustrated by ignoring you. It’s usually the other way around in these situations and you did not like a taste of your own medicine.

 

A small voice piped up from the other side of the line. “Anything?”

 

The way his ears perked up made you smile, already heading down to the front door to unlock the locks. “Yes, so…”

 

You pulled the door open in one swift move, watching as Chanyeol tumbled in onto his back. He looked up at you with wide eyes and you broke out into a fit of laughter.

 

“That’s not funny.” He grumbled, hanging up on you on the video call.

 

“Just come inside dummy.” You pulled him inside and closed the door behind you two, leading him into the kitchen while you made breakfast, just as you promised.

 

“What’s for breakfast?” Chanyeol hummed, already happy now that you’ve stopped being mean to him. “Can I have pancakes?”

 

“Why, you must be a fortune teller,” you began, “Because look what I have!”

A small bit of powder puffed up into the air as you dropped the box onto the counter, following up with a mixing bowl and a couple of eggs. With the rest of the necessary ingredients, you saw his smile get even bigger.

 

“Can I help?” He asked curiously. Chanyeol waddled over to the other side and already began to throw random things into the mixing bowl with the intention of helping you as much as he could.

 

“Hang on! Let me measure it and you can help me mix it? I need someone strong to mix the batter.”

 

That wasn’t necessarily true, but the way Chanyeol pulled back his sleeves to reveal his slightly toned muscles was a cute sight. While measuring out the proper amounts of pancake mix and milk, you felt at ease as the smell of vanilla wafted through your nose. You had to swat Chanyeol’s hands away every once in a while to prevent him from eating all of the chocolate chips in the packaging. The boy was an eating monster.

Finally getting everything into the bowl, you gave Chanyeol the okay to start mixing. He eagerly began to stir the batter around and you took the liberty to start the stove, warning him ahead of time to be careful before he burnt himself. That would be the last thing you wanted to have to deal with today.

The two of you worked together to pour the mix into the pan, opting to make one giant pancake instead of a bunch of tiny ones. Chanyeol insisted on this so that you would have less to clean up, but you were convinced it was because he wanted you to feed him again. Though you appreciated the thought of him worrying for you.

Sure enough he wanted you to feed him once you had spread the butter and doused the fluffy pancake with lots of syrup. You gave in once he started to talk like a baby, not wanting him to continue in case you showed how weird it was in your facial expression.

 

“Yummy~” He giggled, even picking up his fork for the first time for the breakfast to feed you a couple of bites before begging you for more.

 

The chocolate was sweet in your mouth and it made you crave something to drink, leaving him for a short while to grab a couple of glasses of milk. It washed down the pancakes perfectly. You got a kick out of seeing Chanyeol go through the rest of breakfast with a milk mustache, even taking a picture to show him how funny it looked. He was upset you’d keep that from him and he wanted to get you back more for it than to be angry. So he dipped his finger into the leftover syrup and smeared it against the side of your face, getting an excuse to lean forward to bring his lips to your cheek to ‘kiss it away’.

 

You sat frozen for a few seconds before looking at him with a grimace on your face.

 

“What? Xiumin hyung did it, so why can’t I?”

 

You grabbed a napkin and ran it under water from the sink before wiping your cheek. Just cringing without saying a word made Chanyeol even more confused. If he had been paying attention to his own face, Chanyeol would have known that his own lips were sticky with maple syrup and it made your skin feel sticky in the process.

 

“Help me clean up so we can go, do whatever it is you want to do. And Xiumin did that without my permission, mind you.” You said without looking him in the eye, still a bit embarrassed that he would kiss you like that.

 

“Well, friends can do that, so…”

 

Chanyeol looked away and continued to sulk on the side as he half assed rinsing the dishes.

 

“Do you not like it when I kiss you?” He asked solemnly.

 

Wondering about it yourself, you didn’t really know. You used to do it all the time as a kid, but maybe since you haven’t done it for so long, you weren’t used to it anymore. Not like it really mattered, but you had to admit that his maple syrup kiss felt pretty gross.

 

“Not really, but if your lips are covered in maple syrup, then I do mind.”

 

From the corner of your eye, you could see his body suddenly stand up straighter as he rinsed the dishes. “So I can do it as long as I don’t have maple syrup on my lips?”

 

You didn’t have an answer to that. A part of you wanted to say no since you couldn’t shake the image off your mind, but the other part didn’t really care either way since he’s probably do it anyways.

 

While the two of you did the dishes, the kitchen grew quiet, much too quiet when the house was full of life just a few minutes ago. You looked to your left where Chanyeol was rinsing the dishes to see him sulking again, so you thought a little music would cheer him up. There was no radio nearby and you didn’t have your phone, so you just began to hum a song.

The tune was soft and sweet. Chanyeol’s shoulders visibly relaxed and you saw the crease in between his eyebrows go away.

 

“This is... ‘Baby Don’t Cry’, isn’t it…” He trailed off. “I’m not crying...”

 

“Of course, but you have to admit it’s a nice song.”

 

You only sang it because he looked as though he would cry, not really thinking your plan would backfire and he’d end up upset about it. Since he didn’t say you had to stop, you continued up until the rap, where you paused to catch your breath. Rapping wasn’t your kind of thing, so you were just going to end the song there, when Chanyeol stepped in.

His deep voice matched perfectly with your higher singing voice, you providing background vocals while he continued to rap as if the song was made for him.

 

“We should form a team.” He suddenly said. “You can sing and I can rap!”

 

“Tempting, but how about we finish the dishes first?” You said playfully back, earning a grin from Chanyeol as the mood went back to normal.

 

You haven’t seriously thought about singing anything since the performance with Leo. And even then, the only reason why the performance was so popular was because it was dramatic, or so you thought.

Your singing was good, but not the best. Average, much like yourself. It was as simple as that.

 

Once the dishes were out of the way, nothing could stop Chanyeol from pestering you for the next hour and a half about forming a duo. You tried showing him a couple of things on your laptop and even let him go upstairs to your room to explore to keep him quiet. He had a short attention span and that didn’t help your cause.

 

“Okay fine!” He sighed, “We won’t form a duo… Can you come over to my house though?”

 

And there’s the angle.

 

“Today?”

 

He nodded his head and wandered over to your dresser, looking at the three drawers before choosing the middle one. It was full of old shirts and pants that you used when you slept or stayed at home. Chanyeol ventured down lower to the third drawer and came across where you kept your jeans and other bulky clothing.

 

“Hey, wait!”

 

You kicked your foot forward and slammed the top drawer shut before Chanyeol could open it. His scream made you frightened and you grabbed his wrist to check if any of his fingers were smashed. Judging by how he was moving his fingers, they weren’t injured. The disturbed expression on his face was just one of surprise and possible guilt.

 

“S-Sorry, I didn’t mean to-”

 

His lip began to quiver as he held his hands clasped together, hoping you weren’t too mad. Chanyeol was too excited for what he had in store for today to realize he was invading your personal space.

 

“I wanted to take you swimming…” He muttered. “‘Cause you said we could go swimming one day.”

 

“And you were looking for my swimsuit?” You pondered aloud, watching as his head nodded sadly.

 

The thought was nice, though he went about his plan in a not so nice way. Walking over to your dresser, you moved so that your back blocked the top drawer to take out your swimsuit.

 

Chanyeol reached forward to grab it and pulled back, realizing that you had already gotten your swimsuit like he had wanted. “There… Go get changed and we can leave, like now. I can pack your bag if you want!”

 

“No!” You shouted due to how he didn’t learn his lesson. “I mean, it’s alright... I can do it myself. Just wait here while I get changed and stuff.”

 

You went to grab an extra pair of clothes to go out in and left to the bathroom to get changed. On the other hand, Chanyeol was busying himself by picking up various things in your room and putting them back down where it originally was placed, repeating the process until he had gotten so bored that he tried to clean your room. He managed to fix your bed before you had gotten back, dressed to head down to the pool already.

With your swimsuit on, you had put on your shorts and shirt to cover yourself, not wanting to just walk around with only a bathing suit on. Underneath those clothes were a matching pair of a light blue bikini top and bottom. It was a cute swimsuit perfect for a hot summer day.

 

“You… Made my bed.” Looking over to the work that he had done, the blanket was slightly drooping off the side of the bed and the pillows were awkwardly placed on top of one another like a tower. Chanyeol gave you a happy grin and you just shook your head with a small, but identical smile on your own face. “Thank you Chanyeol.”

 

Grabbing a bag from the closet, you stuffed a few articles of clothing at the very bottom before shuffling through the closet for a spare towel to take. There were a few you used for when you took a shower or had a particularly large spill of some sort in the house, but there were no beach towels to take.

 

“We have towels at my house, so you just need your phone and stuff and we can go!” Chanyeol cheered.

 

With that being said, all you needed now was a plastic bag, a hairbrush and your keys, along with your cell phone and cell phone charger of course. You didn’t want a repeat of what happened last time after all.

And of course to make things speed by faster, Chanyeol convinced you to only take your phone and your keys because he had everything else at his house. Why you went along with what he said, you’d never really figure out.

The two of you left in high spirits. Chanyeol reminded you to lock the door and you gave him the okay once you did, the both of you walking to his house as you made small talk.

 

He was extremely excited for the day since it was only about nine thirty in the morning. Being up so early had their advantages, though you thought it would’ve been a little nicer to sleep in before you had to go back to school. You kept that notion to yourself though as Chanyeol blabbered on about the fun things the two of you could do at the pool.

His parents were nice and ended up buying him diving rings as a kid, meaning that those heavy plastic toys were still somewhere in his room waiting to be played with. Chanyeol also mentioned something about pool noodles and a donut floaty, but you were more concentrated on the heat that was starting to burn your arms.

 

“Just put on sunscreen if you’re so worried.” He said, waving it off like it was nothing.

 

“I didn’t bring any though…” You trailed off, almost wanting to go back and grab some just in case. Your skin wasn’t the lightest of colors, but you knew that no matter what color skin you had, you’d still be able to absorb a lot of UV rays.

 

“But it’ll be fine as long as you stay in the water, right?” Chanyeol said more concerned this time. He didn’t want your fun day to be ruined because of a little sun.

 

Pulling out his phone, he checked the internet to see what the weather would be like for the rest of the day. It showed that the hottest it would be was around midday when you both planned on swimming. The bright yellow picture of the sun on the Sunday panel didn’t look too good either.

 

“I can ask my sister if she has any sunscreen. She probably has some because she’s so worried about getting sun spots.” He pointed up towards his face while making a funny expression, the sight bringing tears to your eyes as you laughed until you almost doubled over.

 

While rounding the corner down the road, Chanyeol’s house was just another five minutes away when he recommended that you two should stop a nearby mini mart to pick up some sunscreen. He even offered to pay for it and that made you feel a little bad, shrugging it off and urging him to continue walking so he wouldn’t pay. You appreciated his gentlemanly manners and praised him until he began to walk with his shoulders squared and nose high up in the air, confidence skyrocketing farther than the eye could see.

He unlocked the door to his house and carefully took a step in, yelling that he was home and just waiting in the doorway. Nobody answered back and he turned around to face you with a gummy smile.

 

“This is awesome!”

 

You walked in and took off your slippers before replying, “That no one else is home?”

 

“That none of the others are here to ruin it.”

 

The slight malicious intent in Chanyeol’s voice sounded like he was talking about his family, but in reality, he was ecstatic that none of his friends were here to ruin the moment. Taking you through the living room, he peered out the screen door to the pool to find the area empty, just as he wanted it.

With the heat of the sun at full blast, the pool looked tempting in your eyes.

 

“Wait here and I’ll go upstairs to change.” Chanyeol ran to his room to get changed, leaving you alone outside.

 

You couldn’t resist just standing there when there was a pool right in front of you. Tipping the edge of your toe into the pool a bit, you felt shivers run through your spine. The simple pleasures almost making you fall in if it weren’t for your balance control. You’d waited a while more and continued to wait and boringly wait even more.

 

Chanyeol still wasn’t back and you were getting impatient, deciding to just go in without him. You stripped out of your clothes and hopped into the pool, showing off a beautiful cannonball, if you might add. The water enveloped around your body and turned your clammy skin nice and cool.

While swimming around under the water, you heard a noise from above, sudden sound startling you and making you breach the surface to see what it was. Chanyeol stood with his arms full of pool toys, expression surprised and a bit betrayed.

 

“You said you’d wait for me!” He stomped his feet angrily before tossing all of the toys onto the grass.

 

Technically, you said nothing like that, but you kept that to yourself and just apologized to keep him under control. In reality, Chanyeol was upset because he hadn’t been able to see what you looked like in your swimsuit. He bet you looked cute in it.

Chanyeol was surprisingly toned for a boy that doesn’t partake in extra curriculars. He thought the same for you, though even though he’d still say you looked cute with a bit of fat.

 

He’s been thinking that a lot lately. From the way you’d curl your hair behind your ear just to remove it after a few minutes to get it out of your eyes. Even how you’d occasionally doze off for no reason. Everything was just cute.

 

After he finally had taken off his shirt and jumped into the pool with you, it was almost a blur what happened afterwards. The two of you swam around for a little bit to get used to swimming, chasing one another and splashing giant waves of water at one another while making sound effects with your mouths. You felt like a kid again.

Next, Chanyeol brought in the diving rings and bet that he could grab more than you, which you disagreed with wholeheartedly. The two of you were always neck and neck with each round, but during the last few seconds, Chanyeol managed to swoop in and grab the orange ring right under your feet. He emerged from the water from under you and pushed your body up so that you’d be pushed out of the water and fall back in.

Curse the boy and his long arms and legs.

 

You were better at him at doing underwater flips though. Whenever Chanyeol would attempt to do it, he would end up going sideways and flailing his arms to try and come back to the surface before the water went up his nose. The sight of him coming up coughing was appalling, and you quickly changed the challenge before he ended up drinking all the pool water.

 

While lounging around in the donut floaty, you felt something latch onto the side, almost tipping you out if you hadn’t balanced yourself out fast enough. Chanyeol stood to your side with a grin as he hung onto your floaty.

 

“So if my lips are clean, I can have a kiss, right?”

 

The sudden thought made you sputter. You didn’t know why you were being so easily affected by these sort of things lately. Maybe it had to due with how your s felt slightly larger than normal and how your cravings for chocolate have increased.

 

Period.

 

The thought made you upset, though you were glad you didn’t have it now so that you could swim. You pushed that thought to the back of your head and pushed Chanyeol’s face away to clear your thoughts completely.

 

“I want a kiss! Give me a kiss!” He roared, swimming up to your floaty and tackling you in the process.

 

“Chanyeol! Let go or it’ll tip!” You screamed.

 

You felt like the world was turning upside down and sure enough Chanyeol managed to use his body to sink your floaty, the air filled plastic tube not being able to support the two of your weights. While underwater, you found a similar scene, like what had happened between you and Xiumin. Except it was Chanyeol that grabbed your face roughly and pulled your lips together.

 

“I win!” He cheered once the two of you had gone back up to the surface.

 

“And I can’t, breathe…” You hacked, painful burning in your throat and nose from the water you ended up swallowing.

 

You swam over to your donut floaty and climbed back into the center while getting all of the water out of your system, finding yourself in another yet familiar situation as Chanyeol clung to the side again.

 

“Park Chanyeol, don’t you dare!” You warned him, already kicking your feet to try and guide yourself away.

 

Of course he wouldn’t listen now out of all times.

 

“Attack on Chanyeol!”

 

You turned your head in time to see something jump into the pool, that something being someone as Chanyeol was tackled into the water.

 


 

A/N: YAWNS ok I can't do a triple update so this concludes today's chapters.

Hope you guys like the story!