She was the One

Her Heart in a Song
Please log in to read the full chapter

The summer weather has been kind that warmth was emanating in a way that embraces ones heart. Flowers bloomed happily under the sunlight. As she looked out the window, she remembered a little girl who liked it too much she was forever tanned.

Gyuri hated it though.

She hated it since she was a child. Maybe it was because she had fears of heat ? Or maybe it was because she was just not fond of the weather when Yuri was around?

Or perhaps it was because of some memories she shared with her?

“Park Gyuri~~” Yuri swooned linking her arm with Gyuri’s.

The latter rolled her eyes but didn’t move away. She always like how it felt to be that close to the tanned girl. Her heart did flutter whenever Yuri displayed this much skinship in public.

“I want to go the park and play with you…”

Gyuri could almost cringe at Yuri’s aegyo.

“No…”

“Please…”

“No…”

“Just a few minutes…”

“No.”

“Say yes…” Yuri begged her eyes almost teary.

“No.”

Yuri let go of her then stomped her feet.

“I’ll go by myself then.” She turned then tripped almost falling into the ground.

“Heodang…” Gyuri mumbled but with a smile on her face.

KNOCK KNOCK

She looked passed the boxes on her desk and saw her best friend leaning against the door frame.

“You’re early.” She commented then looked away.

As much as she would want to flirt with Yuri, Gyuri knew her eyes were already with Jessica Jung.

“Why must you ignore me today?” Her friend pouted.

“I am not ignoring you. I saw you. Now I’m back to work.” She caught a glimpse of Yuri then turned away again.

“I don’t have the luxury of time like you do. We are hands on here.”

“Where’s Hara?”

“Probably with Jiyoung… They’ll be here so---” She was not able to finish her reply.

Gyuri suddenly felt dizzy but tried hard to hide it. She reached for a record then found herself stumbling down.

“Gyuri!”

Yuri rushed to her side, worry written all over her eyes.

“Are you alright?” Gyuri felt a hand on her forehead, her cheek then her shoulder.

“I’m fine.”

“Come, take a seat. I’ll take over for you today.”

“Yuri…”

“No…”

“Yes. You’re not feeling well. I’ll call Uncle to pick you up. I’ll take care of this with Hara.”

Gyuri tried to stand up to protest but was still unbalanced she almost hit her head on the side of the table chair. Yuri caught her and held her in her arms.

“Why do you always have to disagree with me? Can’t you just say yes to me, just this once?” Yuri pleaded.

“What did you just say?” She asked as her eyes widened.

“I love you…” Yuri repeated, her confidence wavering.

“You do know I love you too right? You’re my best friend. Stop acting like that…”

“I love you, Gyuri. I want to date you.” Yuri said frustrated.

There was silence as Gyuri tried to absorb the words said.

“Please say something…” Yuri pleaded.

Gyuri just looked at her best friend. What was she to say? She tried to hold back because of their circumstance.

Why must Yuri confess to make things complicated?

“Please say something…” Yuri said again, her voice almost a whisper.

For one thing she doesn’t know how Yuri’s father would decide on it. Yuri’s father and her father were not best friends as of the moment.

Secondly, she wasn’t sure about herself and her health.

She searched for Yuri’s eyes. Apparently a reply has taken too long.

Her best friend was already broken with her silence.

“I can’t…” Gyuri replied forcing half a smile.

Yuri thought it was a joke and smiled back.

“Come on… What’s so wrong about saying yes to me?”

“I might not be able to say no ever again…”

They locked eyes in silence.

“Oh my god Gyuri-Unnie!” Hayoung dropped whatever she was holding and went beside Yuri to check on Gyuri.

“I’m fine… I’m fine… You two are such worry-warts…” She tried to stand up but fell onto Yuri once more.

She cursed herself for feeling weak today. This wasn’t the time to show such. She didn’t want to make things more complicated.

“Are you alright?” Hara asked as she watched Yuri leave with Jessica.

“I’m fine…” Gyuri replied her eyes not leaving the other best friend.

“Is that alright?”

“Jessica is a good person. Yuri needs someone stable to keep her grounded.”

“You never liked Yuri?”

“I love Yuri.” She replied as her gaze turned towards Hara.

“Then why do you keep pushing away?”

“Because sometimes you just know…”

“I’m taking you to the hospital.” Yuri scooped her up bridal style.

Hayoung held the door in so that they could go out.

“Hayoungie, could you please take over a while. Hara will be arriving in a few.”

“Okay.”

Namjoo comes in and was surprised at what was in front of her. She held the door for Yuri to pass.

“Namjoo-ssi, could you please get my car keys too?”

The younger woman did what she was told and helped Yuri till Gyuri was safely seated on the passenger seat.

“Please help Hayoungie. I’ll call later. Thank you.” Yuri replied Namjoo could only nod.

Gyuri watched as Yuri frantically got into the car and sped up.

“I’m fine Yuri. No need to make the vehicle fly.”

Her best friend did not reply. She just concentrated on driving.

“Yuri-ah…” She whined.

Gyuri was not really used to Yuri ignoring her. The woman always tried to get her attention. Not the other way around.

“Let me take you to the hospital first. Then we’ll talk. I won’t leave your side.”

Gyuri was about to protest but felt Yuri’s hand taking hers; her best friend’s eyes still not looking at her.

“Just for today, Gyuri… Just for today…”

@@@@@@@

The place was bustling but Jessica didn’t care. It’s been years and this would be their grand reunion. She waited patiently. The PA said the flight would be delayed for a few more minutes because of air traffic. Another hour or two wouldn’t hurt her.

She was able survive years without them.

She survived because of them.

Though, she did have to acknowledge her feet were killing her now.

“Unnie!!!” The voice cried out.

Jessica turned around with tears in her eyes.

“Soojung-ah!!!” She ran as fast as she could with her arms open.

Her baby sister fell right into it perfectly. Oh, she missed her so much.

“I love you… I love you…” Jessica whispered between sobs.

The younger girl held waist and cried as well.

“We’re home, Sooyeon-ah… We’re home…”

@@@@@@@

Yuri sat outside Gyuri’s hospital room in worry. She was clueless on what was really happening to her friend. All the while she thought Gyuri just fainted due to exhaustion. But when the emergency room doctor announced she was to be given a room, Yuri became more worried.

Was there something she didn’t know?

She hurriedly stopped the car and ran to Gyuri’s side. She scooped her friend again and kicked the emergency room door.

“Help me please!” She shouted, nurses ran towards her and took Gyuri from her hands.

Her friend just fainted again while on the drive to the hospital.

She watched as they frantically checked Gyuri’s blood pressure and so on. Yuri was so in shock the nurse had to shake her shoulder to get her attention.

“Miss… Her name?”

“Park Gyuri,” she replied then looked away.

She saw oxygen being given to Gyuri now.

What was happening?

Yuri turned and saw the nurse who previously asked Gyuri’s name making frantic phone calls.

What is going on?!

“You have to wait outside.” A man, she assumed to be the doctor ordered.

“Can’t I stay with her?”

“Please do as I say. It would be for the best.”

Yuri merely nodded and watched in pain as she lost sight of her best friend.

“Where is she?” Yuri looked up and stood abruptly.

“She’s with the doctors, ahjussi… I don’t really know her status. Forgive me.” Yuri bowed, helplessly clueless on Gyuri’s state.

She wanted to kick herself for not being forceful.

She felt weak.

 “It’s alright. You may go home now. You don’t look good.”

“I want to stay, ahjussi. Till she wakes up at least…”

The old man looked at her with sorrow in his eyes.  He shook his head, visibly telling her that it was not a good idea.

“I will let you know when she wakes up. I don’t think Gyuri would want you like this. Go home, Yuri-ssi.”

“Ahjussi, I can’t…”

“Please Yuri-ssi. It would be what Gyuri would wish for. Believe me.”

Confused and completely torn, Yuri walked towards the car park. She has been hap

Please log in to read the full chapter