Kwon Yuri and Jung Sooyeon

Her Heart in a Song
Please log in to read the full chapter

Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back.
-Plato

 

@@@@@@@

 

It was a hard life. But to her, it was a life nonetheless. She considered the fact better than being six feet under. True it had been like hell since their father died, there no shortage of meals every day. She was able to go to school. There was a home to get back to after work. She was thankful.

She was very thankful.

But then Jessica could not just stop.

It was not her nature to be ambitious. Ambitions scare her. It stresses her. It helped that she could easily be contented. But then again, it wasn’t about her now.

Her breathing was becoming harder. Her legs were starting to get weaker. It reminded her she was running.

Jessica Jung never ran in her life.

She was now.

These halls were just too much for her. How many visits has it been? Jessica could hardly remember. As soon as she reached the emergency room she scanned for her mother.

Immediately she found them.

Her eyes dropped to her sister’s still body.

Thank goodness she was alive.

The steady beep of the heart monitor reminded her about that.

“We’re still waiting for her doctor.” Her mother began.

The older woman worriedly caressed her sister’s hand.

“You should have called me earlier. You know you can’t carry Krystal. She maybe skinny, but that’s all muscle mom. Her abs is not a joke at her age.”

“Mianhe… I knew you had exams. I could not risk it.”

“But school knows my situation mom. I could have taken a special exam tomorrow.” Jessica shook her head.

“…Relatives of Krystal Jung?” A doctor appeared holding what seems to be her sister chart.

She was told about this before. But they could barely budget her salary for the medicines. Jessica was sure to hear them again.

“Yes?” She answered softly as her mother started to stir.

“We were lucky. Any later she could have had infections. I do suggest that you let her have the treatment. Her disease is not incurable you know. Though it is pricy, she will fully get rid of it. I promise my license on it.” The doctor smiled, providing Jessica the pamphlets.

The blonde eyed them, checking all the prices.

“It’s her third attack. I don’t want you spending so much money on these medicines. I’m sure the other doctors before me told you that too. Think about it.” The doctor smiled leaving them to ponder on the options.

“Jessica…” Her mother muttered. Her hands gently tucked a stray on hair on Krystal’s face.

“Do you think I should work? I mean to help out. You’ve been studying and working…” The older woman trailed off.

“No Omma… Krystal would need you while she recovers.” Jessica stood up.

“Besides, your heart is weak Omma. Krystal has just been active lately. But with the medicine she’ll be fine. It’s not terminal.”

They looked at each other in silence. Her mother’s forlorn gaze gave her a familiar ache in her heart. It was now an offer she could not refuse.

“I’ve decided mother. I’m going to Korea. I’ll take the training offer.”

“But…” Her mother stood up starting to tear up.

“It would only be temporary. Once I earn enough, I’ll be with you both. I’ll take you home. Don’t you like that?” Jessica smiled in reply and moved towards her mother.

She caressed Krystal’s cheek and then hugged her mother. Jessica could feel more weight in her chest. They made a promise, all three of them. No matter what happens they will endure, together.

Together, she tries not to let the tears fall.

For Krystal she would do anything… Everything...

Jessica would do anything to have Krystal be lively again. No more helplessness.

No more pain, never again…

“We’ll be fine mom. It’s going to be alright.”

Jessica places a kiss on Krystal’s forehead. A tear finally escapes, so much for holding it back.

“Soojung-ah…” She whispers as she kisses Krystal’s cheek.

“I promise that we will be able to walk along the beach again. Then I’ll buy you that keyboard you like so you would stop hogging my guitar. Unnie loves you… Okay? Unnie loves you very much…”

 

@@@@@@@

 

She pinched the bridge of her nose, utterly frustrated. The melodies seem to be escaping her. Notes all scrambled in her head. She lets her fingers do their thing, but to no avail.

Granted she has not completed a single song back in college without group mates, but she was bound to create one by herself, right?

Yuri closed her eyes then massaged her temples.

She can’t wait to hear what her dear father would say now.

“Unnie…”

She looked up to find her young step-sister peeking from outside.

“Seohyunie… Come in. Come in… Unnie is not that busy…”

The girl walked in and sat beside her with excitement.

“Unnie… just got back from college but starts to play the piano. No vacation for you

Please log in to read the full chapter