Crazy Town

Her Heart in a Song
Please log in to read the full chapter

The petite woman leaned against the door frame with a thoughtful expression on her face. The melodies emitting from the grand piano were breathtaking. She tried to remember the last time she heard such a tune. Taeyeon smiled. It seemed that the song was complete and her friend was about to send out the finale without knowing it. She clapped as the last note died down startling her friend.

“How long have you been there?” Yuri asked surprised.

She already knew Taeyeon was not one to listen to songs without lyrics in them. The woman was made fit to songs which are complete. She had a knack for finding harmony between the song and the singer which made her vital to Yuri’s father. Through the years, Yuri has never seen her friend this happy with an instrumental.

“Long enough to know that your father sure did well for deciding to send you to London.”

Yuri growled as she heard the compliment for her father. Whatever education she had was financed by her father, but the heavy lifting was hers and hers alone. She could have turned it down if she could. But she knew why she was sent there in the first place. Setting the bad thoughts aside, she tried to remember how she finished this particular song. In the end, Yuri knew, by heart, it wasn’t because of the both of them.

“I’m not entirely sure it helped. I haven’t really finished any song since the beginning. My compositions would always lack an ending. Without my classmates I’d probably fail every exam back in college.”

“You mean your grades were a result of your great collaboration skills?” Taeyeon winked as she took a seat beside her friend.

She wore this smirk the irritated Yuri.

“What?” Yuri asked, almost sure where the conversation was going.

“Is it possible that a certain Park Gyuri be the reason?” Taeyeon wiggled her eyebrows which earned a scowl from the other woman.

“Why does everyone think I’m dating Gyuri? She’s my best friend. Platonic best friend. I DATED her cousin, her dongsaeng. Just in case you forgot, her name was Hayoung. Now can we please stop this…” the tanned woman waved her hands trying to put emphasis on the silly circumstance she was in.

“… Love connection you’re trying to foolishly believe in.”

Taeyeon shrugged but was not one to lose an argument with the young Kwon.

“Then pray tell how you could complete a song on a single night without some sort of muse? As you said, you can’t even finish one on any given day.”

Yuri opened but was careful enough to close it again. She couldn’t really tell her friend about what thing or in fact who came up to her mind while writing the song. It would be so naïve to think that Jessica Jung was the reason because apparently the woman was in her thoughts the whole time she was writing. In the end, Yuri would just try and retaliate the best way she could.

Improvise.

“Must be the indie scene. I haven’t heard independent music besides last night.” It was half a truth and half a lie. At least it seemed to throw her to the winning column for today.

“Perhaps…” Her friend replied.

“Maybe I should go with you next time. We might be able to discover someone for the label there.”

“There are a few singers there. Talented. Maybe PD Kim Taeyeon could find a gem in the rough.”

Silence enveloped the room but Yuri didn’t mind. She was keen on finishing the notes so that she could replay the music again. Yuri tried to ignore the distraction but Taeyeon had become fidgety she couldn’t concentrate.

“Okay, what is it?” She finally asked turning to her friend who gave her this confused look.

Taeyeon was never really good at hiding things. But it was more than difficult to understand her as well. The woman was unexpressive which made it hard for Yuri to help her out.

“You have been tapping your foot for the past 10 minutes. It’s distracting.” Yuri complained turning to her friend.

Whatever Taeyeon was about to say seemed important. The way the smaller woman massaged her temple was an indication it was stressing her out. She coughed as she tried to release the tension building in her small frame.

“Fany has been complaining lately. Can’t you just take her out or something? You’re not interested in Gyuri anyway.”

“I’m not interested in her either.” Yuri breathed out.

“You know she likes you. It wouldn’t hurt to give in to her once in a while.”

“Taengoo… You know I can’t do that. She will think it might mean more. I will not lead her on. Besides. YOU like her. Something that I really think you should confess. Or at least just let her know you’re interested in her.”

“You know I can’t do that. Your father made a rule. No dating colleagues. Besides, that rule does not apply to you. Give her a chance.”

“I can’t do that. I don’t feel anything for her. And for that stupid rule. It’s not even implemented. Do you honestly think that Nickhun was discrete in his advances? You should have seen the flowers he sent to Tiffany’s office an hour ago!”

Taeyeon slouched obviously torn. She was not brave to show her feelings. But she couldn’t stand Tiffany’s disappointments either.

“Taengoo… You have every right and chance to tell Tiffany. Don’t push your happiness away just because Tiffany thinks she likes me. You’re one of the good people I know in my life. You and I both know there aren’t many people in my life I consider important. You being happy is important to me. When the time comes I know Tiffany will realize all she needs in her life is you too.” Yuri gave her a small smile.

She tapped her shoulder in support. Though, she knew only the other woman could decide the next step on this particular problem.

@@@@@@@

Sometimes it would seem nothing will ever go right. Jessica crossed out another company on her list. The remaining entries don’t look promising as well. She had to try harder though. With Krystal and her mother already on their way, she can’t afford not to have a stable job.

“My… My… Those are a lot of crosses…” Gyuri commented as she looked over the blonde’s list.

Jessica merely sighed in reply and rested her chin on the bar.

“I did tell you we can hire you as a regular singer. People like you here. I have heard nothing but good things when you sing.”

“That’s odd because I was told I wasn’t good enough…”

“Hmmm… Maybe you just need a coach. But so far, you sing well to me.”

“Only to you Gyuri-ah… Only to you…”

“Come on… At least you get to be here while looking for another company to train with.”

“I can’t do that Gyuri-ah… For that passed month you have already paid more than I should have received singing a set. Aside from that unnecessary additional performers might affect your finances…”

“Are you my accountant now?” Gyuri asked with one eyebrow raised.

Jessica was such a worrier sometimes.

“Okay… Since you worry too much how about we make a deal. We are a little short staffed with the waiters so I will assign Jiyoung-ssi to do the tables and you can work the bar with me. That way you can have time to sing. It would entail regular salary. And it would have no special treatment.”

Jessica smiled widely. She held out her hand for her friend to take.

“Deal!”

@@@@@@@

Yuri stretched as she finished her email to Seoyhun. Her dongsaeng wanted to have the pictures she got back in Europe. There was no time to print so she promised to send the files instead. She then noted not to forget to buy the girl a laptop. She will be starting medical school soon and it would really help her with her studies.

Med School…

She smiled. Her little stepsister was so bright she skipped levels. Though she acts like a true dongsaeng with Yuri, the girl was far more mature than those her age.

The tanned woman smiled at herself.

She better work hard so she can send her to the best school in Korea.

At least she owes that to her.

KNOCK! KNOCK!

Yuri looked up to see who was at the door. She smiled but didn’t stand up from her seat.

“It’s late. I see that you have never changed…”  The woman smiled back.

She went inside Yuri’s office as she closed the door carefully.

“Old habits die hard, I suppose. How are you? Are the wedding preparations being set already or are you and Namjoo taking your time…” Yuri asked standing up.

“We’re taking our time Unnie... Did Hyunnie tell you she got a scholarship?”

“Aish… Must be her surprise! She texted me to say I should definitely have dinner

Please log in to read the full chapter