Part 2

Saving Him

An unknown time later, Tao's eyes finally opened. Sunlight was flittering through the room and made him squint. It was so bright after being in the dark for so long.

"He's awake."

"I'll get the doctor."

Tao blinked a few times before everything became clear to him. A man was sitting in a chair near his bed, and a doctor and nurse rushed in.

"How are you feeling? Does anything hurt?" The doctor asked.

Tao had to think. Did he feel any pain anywhere?

"I… I don't think so…"

"Do you know why you're here?"

Again, Tao had to think for a moment. His memory was hazy, but he knew something happened. He shook his head and waited for the doctor to explain.

"Well, you were stabbed multiple times while intoxicated, but thankfully this man right here found you in time to save your life."

The doctor then motioned his hand toward the man sitting in the chair. Tao looked at him again and the man's eyes burned into him. The doctor continued to speak, so Tao turned his head away from the man.

"You underwent surgery immediately last night, which was very successful. Scars will eventually form on your abdomen, but they will heal to be almost unnoticeable."

The doctor then motioned to the nurse to take his vitals. He left after asking if there were any questions but Tao shook his head.

"We have your phone, wallet, and keys for you here," she handed him a box with the items inside, "and your clothes are over there on the desk. You can't be released yet, not for a few more days, so we can track your progress. Most people like to call their parents and have them come here."

The nurse explained a few other things to Tao, but he wasn't sure if he caught everything. The nurse then promptly left and he sighed, leaning back into the pillows. He closed his eyes and laid there until he heard the man, who he forgot about, clear his throat. Tao looked over at him, who was watching him intently.

"We haven't been properly introduced, I'm Kris."

"Tao." He whispered. "You saved me."

"I just happened to be in the right place at the right time."

Tao didn't realize how attractive Kris was until this moment. He wanted to look at him forever, but had to finish the conversation with him first.

"Thank you. I don't know how I'll ever be able to repay you."

Kris waved his hands, "You don't have to repay me."

"You saved my life! I must!"

Just then, a different nurse came in with a tray of food. It was lunchtime and Tao didn't realize how hungry he was. Kris excused himself to go to the cafeteria on the main floor while Tao ate. When Kris came back, Tao was on his phone.

"Um, can I have your number?" He asked Kris after the call.

"Why?"

"I have to repay you somehow. I doubt you'll stay here until I get out of or take money or something. Just do it, please?"

Kris looked at him quizzically but grabbed the phone and added his number.

"If you want, I'll stay here." Kris said.

"Really?"

Tao's joy showed a little too much but he didn't notice or didn't seem to care. He didn't like to be alone, especially in the hospital room. Plus, it was just a bonus that Kris happened to be so attractive.


 

Tao's mother came the next day. She was unaccompanied by her husband for reasons left unsaid.

"Baby, are you okay?" She cried as soon as she walked through the door.

"I'm fine now, mom." Tao said. "But be quiet."

"Why?"

Tao pointed over at the chair in which Kris was sleeping on. He looked very uncomfortable, but still very attractive.

"He's cute. Boyfriend?"

"Mom, oh my gosh, no." Tao sighed.

To change the topic, his mother insisted on seeing the wounds, so Tao got out of bed and pulled the robe away from his abdomen.

"It's not that bad, mom. It'll heal."

She proceeded to complain and worry over her son, causing Kris to wake up from his uncomfortable sleep. His eyes first looked at Tao, with his robe off his top half of his body. Tao connected eyes with him, immediately blushing. Tao's mother followed his stare and clapped her hands together upon seeing the young man awake.

"Mom, this is Kris. He saved my life."

"Oh it's so good to meet you."

She walked over to him and held his hands, thanking him all the while. He nodded and told her what he told Tao the previous day. She refused to accept his explanation and continued to praise him. It was only until Tao begged his mother to stop that she did.

Though she had to travel a long distance to see her son, she felt like a burden being there and decided to head home soon, leaving Tao and Kris alone again.

"I'm sorry about my mom."

"It's alright. She seems nice."

"Well you've got her utmost respect now."

"Right." Kris said. "I'm going to go get food. Do you want me to bring something back for you?"

"Please? This hospital food is terrible."

Tao made a disgusted face and Kris smiled. He was so cute. Kris offered to get him anything he wanted, no matter the cost or distance. He came back with takeout from one of Tao's favorite restaurants on the other side of town and ate with him.

"My debt to you just keeps growing." Tao said.

"I offered this. You could've said no, so don't feel like you need to repay me."

Tao gave Kris a look that caused him to laugh, resulting in him on choking on his food.

"Good thing you're in a hospital." Tao joked.


I hope you're enjoying this. Sorry for a late post. <3