Part 3

Saving Him

The next day, the sun had barely begun to poke through the dark rain clouds when Tao woke up. Looking to his right, he noticed Kris sleeping uncomfortable again and he felt bad. He should've told him to go home and sleep, but he was afraid to be alone here. Tao turned his head toward the door as a nurse walked through.

"I have good news." She said with a smile. "Post surgery has gone better than expected, so you can get released today."

Tao's eyes lit up with happiness and he turned to look at Kris, but he was still asleep. The nurse brought a new shirt for Tao since his was cut from the attack. His clothes had been washed so all he had to do was change and he could leave. He slid out of bed and hopped into the tiny bathroom to change. Kris was just waking up as Tao exited the bathroom.

"I'm free to go!" Tao chimed.

Kris stood up and stretched. "That's great!"

Out of happiness, Tao hugged Kris, taking him by surprise. Tao wasn't expecting him to hug back, but when he was just about to let go, he felt strong arms wrap around his frame. Tao closed his eyes and smiled, inhaling Kris's scent. The moment seemed to last longer than what it actually did before both let go.

"Should we go get something to eat?" Kris asked.

"Yes! But I'm paying!" Tao chimed.

Tao dragged him across town to a hidden restaurant that specialized in grilled sandwiches and wraps. Everything was on the healthy side, but it was all delicious. They each got a wrap and a smoothie. All together, it was on the pricey side, but Tao refused to let Kris pay for any part of it, seeing as this was a good start to repaying his debt.

Sitting together, actually having the time to converse, the two got to know each other on a more personal level. Tao grew to like Kris more than before and knew he was developing feelings for him. Kris said nothing about any relationship but that made Tao too afraid to bring up the topic or even hint at it.

"I noticed your mom didn't stay long the other day." Kris commented.

"She lives a long way away."

"Is your dad still around?"

"Yeah, he's with my mom but we don't speak anymore." Tao sighed.

"Can I ask why?"

Tao hesitated. This wasn't where he wanted the conversation going.

"We don't talk because—"

"If you don't want to tell me, it's okay. I don't have to know." Kris said.

Tao wanted to tell him. It could possibly bring them closer, but he realized it could also push them away. He decided against telling him the truth for now. The atmosphere surrounding them got awkward, so Tao nervously sipped on his smoothie. Kris looked at the time on his phone and cursed under his breath.

"I'm sorry to leave you here like this, but I'm running late for work."

"I'll text you sometime!" Tao called as Kris ran out the door.


Sorry for such a short chapter but I'm going to drag out the ending so you have more to look forward to, though thats only two more parts ;-;