The Art of Kissing, According to Cho Kyuhyun (Final)

The Art of Kissing, According to Cho Kyuhyun

Sungmin had been battling with herself. She hurried along the corridor, upset and confused.

Kyuhyun had never taken anything seriously. Like it had been easy for him to go around joking (he totally deserved that kick), then he just went ahead kissing her like it had been something as mundane as teaching golf. And then went on practicing with his band, like nothing ever happened.

"Yesung gave it to you." He was saying when she woke up one morning with a bunny on her pillow. She had thought Kyuhyun had given it to her. "I'm going to stay really late at the studio tonight, so if you want to invite him over and thank him for the bunny, you've got the apartment for yourself." He had winked at her and taken his keys. "I'll be back around 3AM. Have fun!" Sungmin just stood there, staring at the door. It was obvious Kyuhyun didn't feel what she was feeling. Maybe for him, the kiss was just nothing, another number to add to the line of women he had impressed with his kissing skill.

Apparently feelings don't hit you one by one in a sortable list. It hit you like a bulk download, overflowing your desktop, making your computer hang, wriggled in a seizure and died with smoke coming out of the back. There was her feelings towards Kyuhyun, so new, yet so old like it was totally to be expected. Sungmin battled it hard, refusing to acknowledge her growing feeling, fully knowing that for Kyuhyun, who had grown practically nonexistent as the competition reared closer, music was his only focus in the whole world. And separately, yet closely connected, was her guilt towards Yesung.

She gave the bunny back to Yesung the next day. "I'm sorry," was all that she could say.

That was why, she didn't look back when the MC announced the next band to perform on stage, and didn't stop when she heard that familiar voice, and the crowd cheering, and the door under the EXIT sign closed shut behind her.

----------

Kyuhyun fidgeted on Donghae's side, the MC was giving a brief introduction. He scanned the pool of people before him, wondering where she was. Was she there, or had she left? He had thought she was saying she had finally realized her feelings for him, but clearly judging from her reaction it couldn't be further than the truth. He should have let her finish her sentence first. Idiot, he cursed himself. And how come she mistook him for fooling around? Idiot, idiot, idiot. The MC suddenly shoved him the mic and for a second he just stared at it like he had been given a purple banana. Donghae nudged him and he stumbled to his position, finally remember what he was there for. Now he just prayed he could focus long enough to remember the lyrics.

He dragged himself home later that night. The band had entered the final. They all went out for a drink, but Kyuhyun, who usually wouldn't miss such occasion, had preferred to go straight home. He tried to look for her after their performance but she wasn't in the waiting room. "She didn't text you?" Donghae had said when he asked after the result, "I texted her if she wanted to come with us, but she said she was tired so she would pass. Why?" The older man looked up in worry, "Did something happen with you two? Hey where are you going?" But Kyuhyun already dashed out of the door.

The lights were still on in the kitchen. He could still hear her, washing the dishes. He crossed the living room and stood awkwardly near the kitchen table, not really knowing what to say, where to begin.

"Congratulations." She said, without looking at him.

"I'm sorry." He said finally, "About earlier. That wasn't what I meant, at all."

He could hear the clacking of the dishes stopping. Her hands had stopped moving but she still wouldn't face him. The water on the sink still running. "I don't want to talk about it."

The tension in the room. The running water. It drove him crazy. He crossed the kitchen and turned the tap off. "Look," he stared at her, "I wasn't fooling around. If you had known, if you had felt even an ounce..." He sighed, "I don't know how you feel about me, but I'm pretty sure of how I feel about you."

He got into his room and retrieved his notebook from his drawer, laying it out on the kitchen counter. His hand slowly opened one page, two pages, until he stopped on a spread. "I wrote these during the past weeks. They have never been shown to the band, or anyone. These are... about you."

Sungmin eyed him cautiously. Kyuhyun pushed the notebook slightly towards her, "Go on." He watched her as she picked it up and carefully read through the page. Then she looked up and Kyuhyun nodded, urging her to open another page. And another page after that. "I guess it turns out I can also write love songs if I set myself to."

"Kyu, these are..."

"Sappy?" He managed a short, nervous laugh. She didn't reply, her hand continued to leaf through the notebook, still reading it line by line. "I guess they might be a little sappy. Or depressive, I don't know. But they're honest." He was beginning to worry. This is it. Any second now she would just laugh at it and say how crazy he was. Or she could denounce their friendship.

"I love you." He couldn't stop himself.

Sungmin looked up at him, and he was surprised to see her eyes glazed in a thin coat of water. His heart sunk. "You're going to tell me to move out, aren't you?"

She put the notebook down on the table. "Close your eyes." She said in a quiet voice, that sounded like it was almost breaking.

And then she kissed him. It hadn't felt like trucks crashing, nor a washing machine. It just had felt... right. And she didn't have any doubts anymore.

"What does it feel like, now?" He breathed. "Going through a carwash? Rainbows? Awesomeness?"

Sungmin laughed, "Like..." Falling in love. She kissed him again. Kyuhyun was smiling over her lips.

"Oh by the way," she stopped to say, "I think I finally broke it."

"Broke what?"

"The remote."


FIN.

 

A/N: OMG I'm so so sorry for making Yesung a bad kisser, please don't kill me! *runs and hides* I didn't actually plan this to be funny, but I guess I just can't write anything seriously without inserting some incoherent randomness here and there -_-; oh well...

I hope you enjoy the story, and if you have an LJ, do friend me there :D (well I've only posted this one fic, the first fic I ever actually finish... but I'll write more in the future). Thanks for reading!