The Art of Kissing, According to Cho Kyuhyun (Chapter 1)

The Art of Kissing, According to Cho Kyuhyun

Kyuhyun got home to find Sungmin, his roommate and his best friend for the last 10 years, trying to drill a hole into the TV remote control with her thumb. Or at least that was what it looked like.

"Hey," he said, eyebrows scrunched up together, wondering what it was all about. She didn't as much as glance at him. Her thumb continued hitting the buttons rapidly, almost mechanical.

Kyuhyun tossed the keys on the table and looked back and forth between her and the tv, wondering to himself if an alien had replaced his best friend with some kind of a cyborg, and whether or not his real best friend was now tied to a surgical table up in the alien's mothership somewhere. The TV flicked steadily away between a news program, a variety show, a drama, another news program... "Are you even watching this?" She didn't reply, her eyes didn't even once leave the screen. He wondered if they would suddenly flick red, like Arnold Schwarzenegger's in Terminator. That would be a problem since he wasn't really good at running. "I'm not buying a new remote if that one breaks down."

Finally she stopped, and the TV halted abruptly on a rather disturbing scene of intestines bursting out of some fat guy's stomach and eyes popping out out of some melting brain. Kyuhyun yelped and snatched the remote off her hands. He quickly changed the channel into some music show which was playing a (totally harmless) ballad, and breathed relief.

On the outside Kyuhyun was a lead vocalist of a rock band, but contrasting with the dark image and a fashion sense that includes metal chains and skulls, he hated horror movies. Especially one with disgusting, pointless gore. And she was the kind who would even grab a pillow as soon as the creepy background music started playing, before anything scary had actually happened.

This time, she didn't even flinch. It was as if the previous stomach churning scene had been a mundane weather report.

Odd.

Slightly alarming.

"Kyu, I was watching." She grabbed the remote back from him, looking annoyed.

More like staring into space and beyond. Kyuhyun thought to himself. With additional offense including, but not limiting to, abusing innocent household equipments. "What's wrong with you?"

"Me? Nothing. Why?"

Kyuhyun peered suspiciously at his friend. He had been her roommate for 3 years, known her for much longer than that. He could tell when something was bothering her. The last time she had acted this way was when some idiot had got her heart broken. He had got home to find her in the kitchen in her pink pajamas and pink bunny slippers, eating ice cream and staring blankly at the wall. Like now, more or less. If Kyuhyun hadn't come home earlier, he was convinced she would've chewed that spoon gone. In all, he had never seen their tissue supply for a month gone that fast. Nor their ice cream supply, for that matter.

Sungmin was the kind of person who would bottle up her feelings, until it came overflow to the brim. Was Yesung, her boyfriend now, had also hurt her in any way? But he looked like a good guy... Although, you could never know. I'm gonna beat the crap out of that guy if he had, Kyuhyun thought to himself. Yesung would regret it, a lot, if he ever messed with his friend. But then, he respected her that much that if she needed him, she would come to him. If she didn't, he wouldn't pry.

"If you say so." He shrugged and got up to his room. "I'm gonna take a shower."

She was still in front of the TV when he returned. "What are you watching?" He flopped down beside her, towel-drying his wet hair.

It was some drama he didn't know the title of, but he ended up watching it along with her (this time she really was watching–not that he checked). There was a scene when the two main protagonists were having their first kiss, when she asked suddenly, "Why do dramas make such a big deal about first kisses?"

"I don't know. Because it's the first?" Kyuhyun shrugged, "People make a big deal about many firsts. Like, the first day of school, the first date, first guy to ever hit by an apple and went on to write a theory about it instead of just eat it like a normal person..."

"What your first kiss was like?"

My what? He raised his eyebrows.