Chapter 6

The Incompetent Idol

"Great job," said Hyunsik as he puffed, walking with his six other best friends out of dance class, "That was awesome. Sungjae, I think you're progressing,"

"Like a giraffe trying to dance," jeered a voice from behind. "Hello, Yook Sungjae, I'm talking to you!"

"Who said that?" said Sungjae.

They turned around.

"It was us, silly," said the boy, who turned out to be L, along with his six other friends. "You move like a giraffe, right Hoya?"

"Yeah," said the boy, who jeered again, "Haven't you heard? Giraffes can't dance!"

"Yeah," snickered Sungjong, "Giraffes can't dance!"

Hoya flicked his index and thumb finger on Sungjong's shoulder.

"Ow!"

"Quit repeating everything I say,"

"I was just adding emphasis, bro. Why you need to be hating?"

"See you on sports day," they said as they brushed him.

"Leave Sungjae alone!" demanded Ilhoon.

Sungjae spat in L's face.

L turned back in disgust and anger, "You'll regret this, Yook Sungjae, I'm telling you!"


"As you all know," said Mr Shim, "Today is sports day. You all will have to work together as a team, as prizes will be given for those who win on that day. There will be many activities, including track running, high and long jump, javelin, soccer and dodgeball. Lunch and dinner will be provided, and make sure you all drink plenty of water on the day. NO ONE gets left behind, doing nothing. We all have to work together and make sure that you all understand the importance of co-operation. Understood?"

"Yes,"

"Well, please head out to the field and go line up for activities,"


"Let the girls' 200m run begin! Kim Namjoo, up first,"

"Yes sir,"

"28 seconds,"

"Park Chorong,"

"Yes,"

"27 seconds,"


"Yook Sungjae, it's your turn to jump!"

Sungjae ran forth and jumped.

"2.85m. Kim Myungsoo,"

"Yes,"

"3.01m,"

"Lee Minhyuk,"

"3.15m,"

"You cheat," whispered Myungsoo in disgust.

"Did that best friend of a Sungjae take steroids?" asked Sungjong.

"Don't be stupid! His muscles are not deformed! I mean ummm.....what am I saying? I just.....ugh....you know what? I should have made it further than that shorty!"

"Well, I'm not skinny like you, Sungyeol,"

"What the heck? I'm not skinny. You're just jealous because I have enormous gorgeous looks!"

"Oh shut up," said another of their friends, "Quit your childish shenanigan talk. You guys are so immature,"

"You're not our dad, Sunggyu. Why bother?" said another boy, Dongwoo.

"Yeah," said another named Woohyun.


"That was a tough dodgeball game!" said Eunkwang.

"Yeah," said Sungjae.


"Well," said Mr Jung, "Well done to all of you for participating. We have calculated the results and the results have been decided. First, let me announce the winner of the girls' 800m: Son Naeun!"

The students clapped as she stepped to receive her medal.


"In 3rd place, overall, we have.....Jung Taekwoon!"

The students applauded as he stepped to receive his bronze medal.

"In 2nd place, we have.....Kim Dongjun!"

As he stepped to receive his silver medal, the students applauded, once again.

"And the winner, overall, who will receive his gold medal and trophy is.....Lee Minhyuk!"

Another applause erupted as Myungsoo stared in disgust. 

"It's not fair!" 

"Yay! Minhyuk!" cheered his friends as he held up the trophy and medal up and high.


"That was awesome!" said Minhyuk.

"Yeah!" said Sungjae, "Congrats, you deserved it!"

"Thanks!" said Minhyuk.

"Three cheers for Lee Minhyuk! Hip, hip, HOORAY! Hip, hip, HOORAY! Hip, hip, HOORAY!" his friends cheered as they threw themselves into an embrace.