Chapter 7

The Incompetent Idol

Sungjae and his friends were outside in the playground, chilling out.

"What a nice day," said Sungjae, "I'm glad Dana seonsaengnim let us practice our vocals out here,"

"Yeah," said Hyunsik, "Especially on a beautiful day like this,"

"Is that so?" said a voice.

"Yes, I...."

The seven turned back in surprise.

"Mr Shim!" gasped Sungjae.

"It doesn't look to me as if you're practising,"

"Oh no, sir," said Sungjae, "We were just about to start,"

"Were you? Then may I suggest that you make productive use of your time and not just sit there, chatting and wasting precious time? In fact, I've thought of maybe a good way to do so since you are all so lively and jumpy today. You will be the cleaning monitors for the boys' changing room, including the toilets today. And because Myungsoo is class president, and it takes as much as nine people to work together, I've decided to let him as well as Lee Sungjong to kindly help you all today,"

"Yes, sir," the seven all sighed.


"I can't believe we have to do this all, when it's not our mess!" said L, in disgust.

"Yeah!" said Sungjong.

"Well, someone has made a mess and someone has to clean it up," said Sungjae.

"Oh, are you saying I did?" sneered L.

"No," said Sungjae.

"Are you saying I did?" sneered Sungjong.

"No,"

"Even if it wasn't us, this mess represents who you really are. Yook Sungjae, messy, clumsy and incompetent," said L.

"Just leave him alone!" shouted Ilhoon, "Let's just get this over with. It's too hot to argue!"

Sungjae was cleaning out a locker when he realised that it was the locker he used to store his belongings in sports day and forgot to lock it.

"Hey, look what I found!"

"Ewwww!" cringed Peniel, "That stinks! What the hell is it?"

"Peaches! I decided to bring them back from sports day since I ate too much and I thought I could save some for later,"

"That was ages ago!"

"I know right!" said Sungjae, "Look, it's mouldy and slimy!"

"It's furry!" said Minhyuk.

"It's wobbling! It's alive!" said Ilhoon.

"Chuck 'em over here!" said Changsub.

"Let me see!" said Sungjong.

Sungjae hurled a rotten peach which landed in Sungjong's face.


"Sir! Sir!" said L as he knocked on the teacher's lounge's door.

"What is it now?" demanded Mr Shim.

"There's a fight going on in the changing room,"

"By who?"

"Yook Sungjae,"


Soon Sungjae and Sungjong were in a heap, pulling each other's hair and punching, kicking and fighting.

"EVERYBODY STOP!" bellowed Mr Shim.

"He started it!" complained Sungjong, who always wanted to get his complaint in first.

"He asked for it!" said Minhyuk.

"It was Sungjae, as usual," sneered L.

"Liar!" said Peniel. "You're just making up stories to make yourself innocent when in reality you're a conniving bully!"

"No, well, you asked for it first!"

"You are just so pathetic!" said Ilhoon.

Soon the changing room was filled with shouting and screaming until Mr Shim finally broke the silence.

"QUIET!! I've had quite enough from this class today. And from some of you, more than enough. And what on earth is that disgusting smell?"


"And when you are done with your apology note, Yook Sungjae, I expect one hundred and fifty lines entitled I will not keep any disgusting rotten leftovers in my locker. The rest of you may go. But I warn you, if this charade and bad behaviour does not improve, there will be serious consequences in the future,"

L and Sungjong were about to push Sungjae when Mr Shim bellowed again.

"And that includes you, Kim Myungsoo, and you, Lee Sungjong!"

Yook Sungjae shot a smirk at them as they left.