Chapter 3

The Incompetent Idol

"Well," said Sungjae, "That was pretty decent. Rice and kimchi with anchovies, jangjorim and turnip soup with water and whatnot,"

"I wish it was more luxurious though," said Eunkwang.

"Yeah," said Sungjae, "I mean, why can't they make meals more appetizing? It's a K-pop school after all, and the life of a K-pop star seems fun and rich, and the idea of being famous seems exciting, and less rules!"

"Yeah," said Ilhoon, "I agree! I can't wait to go to an agency andw relax!"

The others nodded in unison when they were halted by a bellowing voice.

"Because, Yook Sungjae, K-pop stardom is a serious profession, and is not to be taken lightly under any circumstance,"

The pupils gasped as they noticed the source of the voice.

"Sir! Mr Shim!"

The pupils scattered down as they dove to their seats.

"I expect you all, as K-pop stars in training to be well-behaved and considerate at all times. Of course, as this is a school, our class is not complete without a class president. Kim Myungsoo, will kindly be the class president for this year, and will lead us through,"

"Yes, sir," said L, as he shot a smirk at Sungjae, "Stand up!"

The students all stood up in unison.

"Attention! Bow! Good morning, teacher,"

"Sit down!" announced L.

"Thank you Myungsoo, that is most appreciated. You would be having Korean class today, but instead, you will be going through a proper orientation, in which we will be discussing the regulations and curriculum of this academy. You are not here to play as pretend K-pop stars. You are here to study for your KHD, your K-pop Higher Diploma, under supervision of your form teacher, who shall be me,"

Several students mumbled.

"This book, which Kim Myungsoo will give out...."

"Yes, sir," said L.

"......is a copy of The K-pop Star's Guide. I did not tell you to open it, Sungjae, so close it!"

"Yes sir," gasped Sungjae. 

"You look as if you've been up all night, Yook Sungjae. Write down two hundred lines - I must take good care of my personal appearance,"

"Yes, sir,"

"Thank you, Myungsoo. Now, you may open the book. It contains all the rules and regulations needed to become a proper K-pop star, including etiquette, professionalism, hard work and how to represent yourselves. Rule 1, which I will elaborate on that, is the first and foremost rule needed to be understood by all K-pop stars. 'One who wishes to be a K-pop star must pass the Basic Vocal and Dance Test, which for you all, will be held in 2 weeks. As you all know, you all have Vocals and Dance at 11 AM and 1 PM respectively, and you are expected to meet with your respective teachers. Is that understood?"

"Yes, sir,"

"As those are the essential components needed to become an idol, failure to pass, shows that one does not have the intrinsic ability to become a K-pop star, and therefore will result in immediate expulsion from this academy. Is that understood?"

"Yes, sir,"

"So, we'd better not waste any time. We will continue to go through the rules, as you become more aware of how to become K-pop stars,"


"I'm worried," said Sungjae.

"Don't be," said Ilhoon, "It's only our first vocals class,"

"It can't be that bad," said Hyunsik.

"Right!" said their teacher, Dana, who was asking for the students' attention, "Welcome to your first vocal lesson! My name is Dana, and as you all know, I was a member of the group "The Grace", or better known as CSJH,"

"Ooooh!" said another boy named Sunggyu, "What were Stephanie, Lina and Sunday like? Are they hot in person?"

Dana giggled.

"They are very beautiful in person, I assure you. We have been a team!"

The boys continued oooohing as she smiled.

"But enough of that," said Dana, "You are here for your first vocal lesson. The first and foremost thing to know about singing, is that all the energy come from within your lungs and diaphragm. You feel the power, the strength, the emotions, the everything as you singing within your soul. We will start with some breathing exercises. Breath in.......and out. Breath in...........and out. Breath in.......and out. Breath in.........and out. Good! Now let's start singing, first from C major! Everyone....."

Dana turned to the piano.

"I will sing once for you, and then you will repeat after me,"

Her fingers tapped the keys.

"Do, re, mi, fa, so, la, ti, do! And...."

"Doremifasolatido...." the students repeated, but all out of tune and clearly not into it.

"Ahem!" said Dana, "That wasn't singing, I assure you. You wanna know what it was? It sounded like mud. It sounded like a bunch of crows cawing all over the place from seeing a scarecrow. When you're singing, it's important to keep in mind the pitch, rhythm, melody and harmony. Let's start from Do again,"

"Do," the students sang.

"Good, now we'll go on the rest of the scale slowly,"

The rest went on.

"That was much better, although several of you stood out to me, and I think you would be my special helpers. You.....you.....and you. Please come forward. What's your name?"

"Seo Eunkwang,"

"Jung Eunji,"

"Yoon Bomi,"

"Right you three. Eunkwang, you start with C. Bomi, on the E, and Eunji, on the G. Now,"

The three sang in unison, forming a chord.

"Oooooh," gasped the pupils.

"Do you see that? That was a chord. If we all work together in harmony, you know that we can do it. Thank you for your angelic voices. You three can go back now. Now, let's start on the C major again,"


"I told you it was hard," said Sungjae, "My voice sounds so flat. Dana said so,"

"Relax," said Changsub, "It was only the first lesson. Besides, you've got two weeks left to prepare for it. We can help you prepare for it,"

"Everyone," said their dance teacher , Eunhyuk, "Into places please. We are going to cover basic steps in dance. Dance might seem hard and intimidating at first, but when you've got it all together, you can do it. But first, we must do some warm up exercises. Everybody stretch,"

"Well, it seems easy now, but I dunno what to expect," said Sungjae.

"Who cares?" said Minhyuk, "This is fun!"


"And that," said their Japanese teacher, Takuya, "is how you would read and write the 45 basics hiragana characters in Japanese. Alright then, class dismissed,"

"How was your day?" asked Eunkwang to Sungjae as he cleared away his stuff.

"Tough!" said Sungjae, "We've got the toughest teachers here! This is no piece of cake!"

"Come on," said Ilhoon, "Let's go and chillax before dinner,"