Chapter 2

The Incompetent Idol

"Yook Sungjae," called out the teacher.

Sungjae continued to doze off from the tiring journey.

"Yook Sungjae!" called the voice again.

"Hey, hey!" said a voice, as someone nudged up, the person turning out to be the boy who helped him up from his fall.

"Huh?" mumbled Sungjae as he woke up, "What happened? What did I miss?"

The teacher only smiled.

"Room number 7,"

Sungjae dragged his suitcase and went to his room. He opened the door as he laid his stuff down, sorted out his things and flopped onto his bed.

He wasn't even dozing off when the door opened.

He burst back up in surprise, for it was, again, the boy who helped him up.

"Hey bro!" he said cheerfully, "We meet again!"

"Yeah!" said Sungjae, "Thanks for helping me up!"

"No problem! It's crazy, can't believe we're roommates!"

"I know right! What's your name? And your orange hair looks great on you!"

"Thanks! It was my sister who dyed it for me. She's a hairdresser. She thinks I'll stand out in Fashion class. I'm Jung Ilhoon,"

"Ilhoon, that's a nice name. I'm Yook Sungjae,"

"Well, Sungjae, let's make the most out of the school years and help each other out! We should so do a duo together and make the most out of it!"

"Hell yeah!" said Sungjae.


L flopped onto his bed.

"What a bumbling idiot," he giggled, "Bring a skateboard or a bike next time,"

He did not have to wait that long before the door opened. In came a boy, with a pretty-boy type face, but with defined cheekbones and a just above average height.

"Who are you?" L mumbled.

"Sungjong. Lee Sungjong,"

"I'm Kim Myungsoo, but I like to be called L,"

"What's with the 'L'?"

"L is for 'living the life'".

"I see," said Sungjong.

"I hope this pretty boy wanna be is at least better than that Sungjae though," thought L to himself.


"So, Sungjae, what made you come to this academy?"

"I wanna be a K-pop star. I never had an professional performing experience...but,"

"It's okay, you don't have to have performed professionally to be a K-pop star!"

"Well, I know that, but....."

"But what?"

"I just don't know if I have what it takes. You know, the ggi,"

"Who told you that?"

"I dunno, some boy on his bike that...."

"Ahhhh, that guy who refers to himself as L all the time? He was in my middle school. Don't listen to a word he says. He's such a show-off, and he thinks he knows everything,"

"Boy I feel sorry for you," 

"Don't be," said Ilhoon, "Hopefully he won't be in our classes. Well, at least, not in most of our classes. What do you have tomorrow?"

"Let me see," said Sungjae as he pulled out his schedule. "I have Korean, English, Vocals, Dance, Fashion and Japanese,"

"Hey!" said Ilhoon, "We're in the same classes! Seriously, all of them! What's your form number?"

"Number 15,"

"Same here! Let's definitely make the most of it! Who's our form tutor?"

"Well, it's.....uh oh."

"What? Who?"

"We have.....the Shim guy....."

"Oh gosh, the strict guy.....well we'll have to deal with him,"

"I dunno. Well, I think we should start getting ready for bed," said Sungjae.

"You're right," said Ilhoon, "How long have we been talking for? It's already 9 PM!"

"Yeah, it's crazy, eh?"

"C'mon, let's go and get ready and get some sleep. We'll have more laughs tomorrow,"


Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrringggggg!

The alarms rang, waking every student up.

"Ugggggggh!" muttered Ilhoon, "So noisy!"

Sungjae steadily rose up, like a zombie coming out of its grave, still half asleep.


Sungjae and Ilhoon dressed in their uniforms after brushing their teeth, washing their faces and combing their hair.

"Come on!" called five other boys as they bumped into Sungjae and Ilhoon.

"I heard that their serving jangjorim!" said one with blonde hair.

"With anchovies!" said another with a bowl cut. "I love them so mch I could eat them all the time!"

"Who are you guys?" asked the blonde. "I'm Seo Eunkwang,"

"Yook Sungjae,"

"Jung Ilhoon,"

"I'm Lim Hyunsik," said the boy with the bowl cut.

"I'm Lee Changsub," said the other with light brown hair in a modernized Tinkerbell style.

"I'm Lee Minhyuk," said the other, who was built and muscular for a teenage boy.

"I'm Shin Donggeun," said the other, exaggerating all the phonemes within his speech,  "But you can call me Peniel if you want to,"

"Is Korean not your first language?" asked Sungjae out of curiosity.

"No," chuckled Peniel, continuing to exaggerate the phones and speaking as politely as possible, "I was born and raised in America and I lived in Italy for a while and then I moved here not too long ago,"

"How'd you learn Korean?"

"With parents. I went to language institute too,"

"You don't have to exaggerate all the phonemes and speak so politely," chuckled Eunkwang, "And you don't need to trill the 'r's. We're speaking Korean here, not Italian,"

"Oh, okay," giggled Peniel.

"Anyways, if you ever need help on Korean, you can always chat with us!" said Ilhoon.

"Yeah!" said Hyunsik, "Let's make the most out of our year here at school!"

"C'mon!" said Sungjae, "Let's go down and get some food! Anything will be filling, as long as it's hot!"