Chapter 1

The Incompetent Idol

Sungjae brushed his uniform as he wandered through the streets. He knew that he was practically in the middle of nowhere; this school was famous for education in K-pop, yet for him, since it was already on the outskirts of Seoul, a place where he was not the most familiar with, he continued to stare at his phone, waiting for the navigator to tell him where to go, as he dragged his luggage and backpack along. 

He stared at his watch 1:30 PM. The orientation for the new students at K-pop Academy was supposed to start at 2 PM, yet he was starting to feel a little worried.

"I do hope that I'm not too lost," he thought.


Yoseob marched into school. He bumped into Junhyung, who eventually threw into him an embrace before he embraced back.

"Oh, Junhyung, it's so great to see you!" said Yoseob, "I love your hair colour! Blonde really works well for you!"

"Thank you!" said Junhyung, "Gosh, you've changed so much! I dunno if it's just me, but you definitely look a lot more masculine and muscular than I thought?"

"Well," giggled Yoseob, "I have taken up boxing. I really wanted to take an alternative approach to health,"

"I see," said Junhyung, "Are you excited for second year?"

"Yes....and no. That Mr Shim is really strict with everyone, although Mr Jung is definitely kind. But we're here because we belong here, bro! We're here because we're gonna be K-pop stars!"

"Of course!" said Junhyung, "Where's Hyunseung, Doojoon, Kikwang, and Dongwoon?"

"I dunno," said Yoseob, "I don't see anyone - oh, look! Here they come!"


"Well, Changmin," said Mr Jung, "How enchanting to see those faces. Looks like our pupils are back and fresh and ready to start the year,"

"Quite, Yunho," said Mr Shim, maintaining a stern, but prepared expression on his face.


"Hey girls!" chimed Hyuna, Jiyoon, Gayoon, Jihyun and Sohyun, all in unison as they hugged each other.

"How are you?" said Jihyun. "We missed you so much! Did you have a great winter break!"

"Oh, yes!" said Hyuna, "It was totally awe-some!"


Sungjae continued to wander through the streets when he heard a bike bell ringing.

"Lost are we?" called a sing-song voice.

"Who said that?" said Sungjae as he spun around.

"It was me," said a boy, riding on a bike, with hair in a 2:8 portion, and straightened, though not so much to be a bowl cut.

"Ummmm, sir?" said Sungjae, "Can you tell me how to get to..."

"You needn't call me that," said the boy as he rolled his eyes, "Don't 'sir' me. It makes no difference. Considering the time, and you have no bike or skateboard, unlike me, you'll be late anyway. What's your name?"

"Yook Sungjae. What's yours?"

"What an extravagant name," said the boy, "I'm Kim Myungsoo, but you might as well refer to me as L. L is for 'living the life',"

"L..." murmured Sungjae, "That name certainly has a ring to it,"

"What makes you want to come to this school anyway?" said L, "What is your talent?"

"I dunno," said Sungjae, "But I do want to become a K-pop star,"

"You know," said L, cockily, "You can't reach your goal if you don't have a particualr strength, like I do. My looks never fail to kill, so I'll make an excellent visual, on par with my dancing skills,"

"Could you give me a lift, please?"

"I'd love to, but, looks speak for themselves, and one doesn't want to make a bad impression on one's first day. Does one?"

"No," said Sungjae, beginning to walk on as he felt annoyed, "Thanks a lot,"

"You know, you could really do something. Go and find some friends for goodness sake, like me. And think and use your imagination for better and more unique names, such as - ahhhhhhhhhh!"

Sungjae giggled as he flipped a twig into L's face, as he fell off his bike.

"You did that on purpose!" L snarled as he picked himself up.

"No, I didn't!" said Sungjae.

"Now remember this, Yook Sungjae. I might have given you a lift, but now you have no chance. You'll have to spend all night in the woods. And I hope the bears get you!"

"What bears?" scoffed Sungjae.

"This conversation was a waste of my time," said L, before he zoomed off on his bike again, leaving Sungjae alone.


"Oh no," said Sungjae as he looked at his watch and ran on, "I've only 3 minutes left. I am definitely gonna be late!"

He ran on the same path he was walking on on and on. He panted and puffed.


"Hi, what's your name?" greeted a girl with wavy hair to another, as if they were in a business conference.

"I'm Jung Eunji. You?"

"I'm Son Naeun. We should become the best of friends!"

"Right," called Mr Jung, "Please file in decent order. We will all file in the school gym. As for the new first years, they will stand up front,"


Sungjae finally reached the building and dashed for the front door. He pulled on it.

"Oh no!" he thought, "It's locked!"


"Welcome to K-pop Academy," said Mr Jung, "I am the principal, Mr Jung, and this is the deputy principal, Mr Shim. Welcome back to a brand new year for most of you, and for the first years, welcome to this academy. If you have ever dreamed of becoming a K-pop star, you are in the right place. Our school has been continuing to have a great reputation for being the best in the country, and graduates have successfully pursued their career into top agencies, such as SM, JYP, Cube and YG. And if you work hard, there is guarantee that you will rise and shine. Our school motto is "Fly to the sky". Don't ever be afraid to reach and aim high, and don't be afraid to reach for the stars - "

"What on earth - ?!" gasped Mr Shim.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!" screamed Sungjae, his yell echoing like a yodel as he fell through one of the windows and toppling the balls and gym equipment.

Several students gasped as they dropped their stuff and rushed to his aid, but Mr Shim clapped his hands.

"Back into line!" Everyone but one, who helped Sungjae up, went back into their positions.

"I hope that every single one of you understand the importance of punctuality," continued Mr Shim in a stern voice, "We expect each and every one of you to act presentable and punctual in every circumstance. That is, if you are able to remain long at this academy,"

"Here we go....." mumbled Sungjae.