From One Vïrgin to Another

red silk wrists
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

V: from one to another

11:19

Jungin looks fondly at her cellphone’s screen, the adorable selca of her and Baekhee when they went shopping a couple days ago lighting it up. Jungin had taken to spending so much time with the Snow, learning all sorts of things about her—her favorite Korean food (samgyupsal), her favorite alcohol (white wine), her favorite color (white, a taste she had been forced to acquire), the place she wanted to travel to most (East Europa), even her favorite feature (her eyes, and Jungin completely agreed).

Today is different though. Jungin knows from the moment that Baekhee texts her rather than calling her in the morning. A simple message saying

Let’s meet at my house today and go for high tea. Hopefully you still have my address (´◉ ω ◉`)

Jungin dresses quickly and heads towards the address that Baekhee had given her on their first meeting, what feels like so long ago.

Once back in Blossom Circle, Jungin realizes that her heart was pounding with anticipation but now…it feels like she is coming back to a familiar place to see an old friend.

There is some truth to that.

She reaches the end of the block where the house sits, not far from where she had run into Jongdae the first time she came here. For minutes Jungin tries to decide if she should knock or ring the doorbell but in the end, she just gives three hard knocks.

An overwhelming sense of anticipation shoots through her veins as she hears footsteps on the other side of the door. When it opens, Jungin doesn’t have a moment to peek inside before Baekhee is filling her vision.

The woman full of grace, the ever perfect Snow, is dressed in what Jungin thinks is her Sunday best. A perfect sunhat with a wide brim sits atop her head. Her dress is a high collared, sleeveless one that flares out at the bottom, decorated with a lace underlay. The snowflake pin is snapped just above her left . Her shoes are tie wedges, laced and bowed perfect around her ankles. All in angelic white, of course.

Not a single hair misplaced and not even the slightest flaw. What a sight.

“Oh, Jungin, you look precious!” Baekhee coos, making Jungin flush. “That baby pink two piece looks simply perfect on you. You really give me a run for my money when we go out together! How can I compete~”

“B-Baekhee….it’s no competition.” Jungin giggles behind her palm. “Besides, look at yourself! You really do look like a perfectly perserved snowflake.” Jungin’s honestly earns her a blushing Baekhee.

“Stop~ Anyways, let’s hurry along. This place serves the best tea in Asiana, and I managed to get us a room all to ourselves!” Jungin nearly chokes on her spit upon hearing Baekhee’s words but nods and follows the other to the stretch limo the Snow is famous for travelling in.

They both settle in the back and Jungin turns to Baekhee to see the other looking at her. Jungin is surprised, but interested.

“Is something wrong Baekhee?” Jungin innocently inquires. Baekhee smiles warmly and shakes her head.

“No, nothing at all Jungin.”

 

 

12:25

Jungin is happy to step out of the limo after the nearly hour long ride to stretch her limbs. Baekhee follows suit as the driver tells her when and where he’ll be for pick up. Baekhee nods before the driver gets back in and takes off. Jungin looks to Baekhee for guidance, seeing as she has no idea where they are.

“Have you ever been here before Jungin?” Baekhee asks as she sets off and Jungin falls into step with her.

“No, I can’t say I have. I don’t even know where ‘here’ is.”

“We are in what was formerly known as Deagu, South Korea. Just about an hour from the thriving capital that is Seoul.”

“Ah, I see. And your favorite high tea place is here?”

“Yes. The owners of the establishment came from the former Hong Kong, where the high tea was famous for popularizing the former UK’s tradition of the privileged. They owned a high tea place there too.”

“How exciting~” Jungin buzzes as she follows Baekhee past a shopping street promenade, filled with couples enjoying afternoon dates and teenagers hanging out without a care in the world. Being this way with Baekhee always makes her feel like the world she lives in might not be so bad.

But then she remembers the truth—the lies, the cover-ups, the disappearances. Thinking of her own mother and father is enough to remind Jungin why she does what she does and why she created Mary’s s to begin with.

“Here we are!” Baekhee stops in front of a tall building that is painted a pastel blue with giant sunflower décor on the walls. The inside, from what Jungin can tell, looks pretty similar. The name of the tea shop is up high on what looks to be a giant placard above the doors. The fancy Edwardian Script font reads ‘Eden’.

“It’s gorgeous!” Jungin announces as they step inside and Jungin gets a full view of the ethereal, garden like interior design. Baekhee waits for no one to come sit them or even direct them—she simply heads up the spiraling staircase to what Jungin assumes to be t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter