Lying Vïrgins

red silk wrists
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

III: lying s

13:18

Jungin wonders if she was hopeful or just plain stupid to trust a man she had only just met off of the street to lead her to the Snow. He had been so confident at the time, that Jongdae. But Jungin has been waiting and waiting for some kind of signal from the man, and more than three weeks have gone by but…nothing. Things have been just as humdrum as they generally tend to be when you’re a rebel activist fighting for basic political rights and government accountability like Jungin is.

She figures this is a good way to exercise her patience though, so she waits. She steadfastly memorizes everything she is going to tell the Snow, and soon enough, her “life story” feels as real as anybody else’s.

“So, how’s everything going on the Snow front?” Sohee strolls into Jungin’s apartment one cloudless, sunny day. The hours and days and weeks have gone by fast since the head ran into Jongdae nearly four weeks ago, and Jungin is excited to share all of her personal progress with Sohee.

“Well, since my guy hasn’t gotten back in contact with me, I’ve been getting my story down well-enough that now even I believe my new life’s history!”

“Really? Let me test it!” Sohee excitedly chirps. Jungin nods her approval. “Where were you born?”

“In a place formerly known as Bucheonsi, Gyeonggido, South Korea. Right across the way from the Bucheonsi City Hall!”

“Aaaand where did you meet the Snow?”

“In grade school! I was a 4th grader, because by that time, the world had become what it is now, and she was a 6th grader, about to go off to middle school. I thought her regal even then, but I could do nothing but admire from afar.”

“And why wait all these years to get in contact with her again? Aren’t you just trying to use her for her power?” Sohee looks seriously at Jungin, and she can see the playful and silly glint in Sohee’s eyes that borders on maniacal brilliance.

“Well, I lost track of my childhood idol not long after she went to middle school. After all, for women who wish to be the Snow when they are our age, one must go through years of training. No doubt she was busy with a mannerisms and etiquette class as well as speech training classes and who knows what else. After years of preparing herself, she then got her wish—at the tender age of 16, she was accepted to the Winter Program. And there, just like in every other aspect of her life, Baekhee excelled. And finally, just two years ago, she was appointed the wonderful Snow that sees over this country’s women. I guess then, to answer your question, I haven’t contacted her until recently because I knew she would be quite busy, and I didn’t want to seem like a nuisance. But because she has been an idol of mine since grade school, I just want to have the chance to become closer, catch up on our lives at this point, and perhaps find some security in each other.” Jungin seems to genuinely smile then, and Sohee is clapping and cheering like a caffeinated seal.

“No joke Jungin, you totally killed it! There’s no way she isn’t going to be totally convinced! You even had me convinced there at the end, with the whole security bit!” Sohee praises endlessly. Jungin grins victoriously.

“It was that good? Excellent!” Jungin exclaims herself. “I had to trick myself a little to do that, so I’m glad to hear it worked like a charm!”

“They’re not ready for Kim Jungin!” Sohee enthusiastically eggs Jungin on and Jungin remembers why she refers to Sohee as the number one cheerleader .

 

 

14:00

Jungin doesn’t know how she knows to pick up the phone call from the unknown number on her cellphone, but she does. Normally with suspicious things like this, Jungin can feel if the air is ominous or positive. She just knew it would be a good idea. Just like how she knew talking to Jongdae would be a good idea.

Jungin knows it will be Byun Baekhee—the coveted Snow.

“Hello,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter