III. (End)

Soulmate

All this time, Taeyeon thought she didn’t have a soulmate.

 

She never felt anything—no cuts, no bruises, no pain anywhere—only the ones she caused herself. And she had more than plenty of scars to prove that, but it was only because she was a curious little kid who wanted to try everything the world had to offer.

She thought that maybe her soulmate had passed on early, and she had already accepted that, no hard feelings whatsoever. It wasn’t like having one was important to her life right now either. If there was anything, she was glad that there was no one on the other end of her red string, feeling all the pain she’s been experiencing.

 

Like her freshly broken arm, for example (she hoped that the idiot motorcycle rider who hit her hit a truck as well). Or the sprained ankle she got two months ago from trying to jump her bicycle down a flight of stairs. Or the many more injuries she got months and years before that. Her pain was her own and hers alone.

 

But then she found out she had been wrong all along.

 

 

—–

 

 

“I thought you were dead.”

 

It wasn’t exactly the best words to say to your soulmate when you meet them for the first time, but Taeyeon, to be honest, was too out of herself to even care. She just broke her arm and had too many painkillers swimming in her veins to function properly, moreso to say the right words to someone you were supposed to spend the rest of your life with but just met like, a minute ago.

 

Because frankly she did thought that her soulmate, who turned out to be a very gorgeous doctor (she looked really attractive in her scrubs), didn’t exist anymore. But there she was, giving Taeyeon the scariest glare she had ever received in her entire life.

 

She fiddled with the sling of her new cast and sighed, “I just… I’ve never felt anything from your side before. That’s why I thought—”

 

The doctor scoffed and it made her shut up instantly.

 

“It’s because I’m careful enough not to get the both of us hurt, seeing as how you’re already doing an excellent job in that department.”

 

Taeyeon felt her jaw hang open.

 

Ouch.
 

———

———

 

 
It took weeks for Taeyeon’s arm to fully recover. The cast was gone and she was back to doing some freelance work, and everything felt fine again. Except not really, because she couldn’t take her mind off of the woman who was supposed to be her fated one. Smart, beautiful, feisty Dr. Tiffany Hwang.

 

The minute she arrived home from the hospital after she got her arm in a cast, Taeyeon called her mom, raving about finally finding her soulmate at the hospital. The old lady only chuckled, told her to stay away from trouble before hanging up. She realized then that maybe Dr. Hwang’s anger was actually justifiable. Accidents here, injuries there; she hasn’t really been a very good soulmate.

 

And then she realized after that, that she was—

 

“Ow!”

 

Taeyeon’s legs suddenly gave and she dropped down on the floor, curling up on her side as she rubbed her right kneecap with a pained expression. It felt like it got stabbed right on the bone.

 

“God, that hurt, I don’t even—” And then it hit her. “Oh no.”

 

 

—–

 

 

“This is a bad idea, Dr. Choi.”

 

And it was, really. Taeyeon was sure of it. She’s been trying to pry off the bony hands wrapped around her wrists for a while now, but the tall doctor who treated her broken arm weeks ago wasn’t letting go. She wondered vaguely if her soulmate could feel how tight Dr. Sooyoung was clutching and pulling at her joint.

 

“I just wanted to know if she’s okay. I don’t think she’ll appreciate me just dropping by.” Taeyeon spoke again, trying to keep up with the doctor’s long strides.

 

“Nonsense! You’re her soulmate, she’ll appreciate you whether she likes it or not!”

 

Taeyeon could only scratch the back of her head while she let herself be pulled away, hoping that the bouquet of daisies she bought was enough for whatever was going to happen.

 

 

—–

 

 

It was funny how a bright pink cast and some worn out cotton shorts had managed to cut back on Dr. Hwang’s bark by 80%. And that pair of horn-rimmed glasses she had on made her look really adorable and harmless, so much that Taeyeon couldn’t help but swoon.

 

The level of her anxiety was now inversely proportional to her soulmate’s disheveled state.

 

“What is she doing here?!”

 

“She’s here to visit you!”

 

Taeyeon stood beside the door while the two doctors bickered about her like she couldn’t hear them. She clutched onto the bouquet of daisies while they argued in hushed voices (she could still hear them), until Dr. Hwang sighed in defeat and Dr. Choi smirked in victory.

 

“So,” the tallest one drawled the O’s and Taeyeon knew there was never anything good when vowels were being drawled, “I’m gonna head back to the hospital. You know, doctors, can’t stay away from that place for too long.”

 

Before she could open to respond, Dr. Choi was already out the door, leaving her in the lion’s den. She turned back and Dr. Hwang was staring at her like she was going to eat her, so she stared back like she was pleading her not to.

 

It took three full minutes of staring before Taeyeon realized she should say something. Anything.

 

“So, uh—”

 

“How did you know I got hurt?”

 

‘So much for talking,’ Taeyeon thought with an eye roll, which she was sure the doctor saw, judging by the how her right eyebrow shot up her forehead.

 

“I felt it last night,” she answered, truthfully (and a little scared). “I wasn’t sure what happened so I went to the hospital this morning thinking you’ll be there, then I saw Dr. Choi and she brought me here, and I just—” She paused, letting out an unsure smile. “I just wanted to know if you’re okay.”

 

When Taeyeon got nothing, she figured she should just leave. She inched towards the door and pointed with her thumb.

 

“I think I should just—”

 

“Wait!”

 

The doctor yelled, pouting while her eyebrows knitted, and Taeyeon did her best not to squeal.

 

“Just stay. Since you’re already here, might as well tell me what on earth you’ve been doing these past few years that I had to be reminded of your existence at least twice a week.”

 

The glare was back but it looked more endearing than angry.

 

“It’s… gonna be a very long story.”

 

Tiffany gestured at her pink cast with a defeated shrug. “So? It’s not like I can go anywhere anyway.”

 

Taeyeon grinned then, finally remembering the bouquet of daisies in her hands.

 

“Hmm, guess not.”

 

 

The End. Forreal.