I.

Soulmate

a/n: I’ve come across a number of fanfictions having this unique soulmate theme, where one could feel their soulmate’s pain and vice versa. It’s a very interesting premise, and though I’d love to write a more substantial story with that theme in mind, I’ve decided to just wing it and write a one multi shot about it.

 

Disclaimer: Crackfic. Very Short.

 

 

—–

 

 

The first thought that came to Hyoyeon’s mind while her heels clacked on the immaculately tiled floors was ‘Why is this ing hospital so big’. Second was why on earth was she wearing heels when she knew she was going to be running around the emergency room and the rest of the unnecessarily huge hospital calling for doctors and treating patients the whole day. Either way, she continued her sprint and hoped that the idiots she was looking for we’re still at the place where she left them minutes ago.

 

And they were, thankfully, but Hyoyeon was still pissed because she couldn’t, for the life of her, understand why their favorite hangout had to have a busted intercom that resulted to her sprinting from the ER just to get to this side of the hospital. So with feet and calves aching, she burst through the door without knocking, surprising Dr. Choi who was eating a burger (her third today) and Dr. Hwang whose face looked like it got punched.

 

“Hey Sooyoung, I need—What’s up with your face?”

 

Tiffany’s scrunched up face brought a bit of sadistic happiness to Hyoyeon’s aching feet.

 

“My arm’s been hurting like hell. I think my soulmate got into something, I don’t know.”

 

‘Ah right, Hyoyeon thought. The soulmate thing was a bit of an inconvenience, but that was the way the world worked. You feel their pain and they feel yours. There was something really beautiful about the sado-masochistic arrangement, but Hyoyeon only thought so because she hasn’t felt any of the phantom pain yet.

 

She shrugged the thought away and was about to call for Sooyoung again when something clicked in her head.

 

“Choi, you have a patient in the ER, and you,” she points at Tiffany, “you might want to come with her.”

 

 

—–

 

 
The ER was usually buzzing with doctors and nurses and sick people, and when it normally ticks off Hyoyeon’s mood, today felt slightly different. She had a good feeling about it, like something nice was going to happen. And frankly she had an idea what it was now.

 

She walked towards the corner of the room with the two doctors at her heels, yanking the curtain and revealing a woman who resembled Tiffany’s disgruntled face of unsurmountable pain. She bit back a chuckle as she gestured towards her friends.

 

“This is Dr. Choi, she’s gonna take care of your arm. And this,” she pointed to the other with her pen, “is Dr. Tiffany Hwang. Internal Medicine. Age 27, and currently single.”

 

Before Tiffany could hit her for divulging unnecessary information, Hyoyeon had already slipped past them, yanked the curtain close, and whistled her way out of the emergency room.

 

 

———

———

 

 
The curtain closed with the shrill sound of the rings sliding on the metal pole, leaving Sooyoung with her eyebrows high up her forehead, both confused and amused at what just happened. She vaguely heard Tiffany muttering curses beside her as she turned towards the patient, who was looking up at her from the ER bed with puppy eyes. The girl was clutching at her right arm with a pained expression.

 

“Err,” Sooyoung drawled as she picked up the clipboard on the bed. “Kim Taeyeon. 27. Single. Fractured Radius and Ulna from motorcycle accident—Ooh you have a bike?”

 

“Nah, some idiot rider hit me and I fell on my arm.”

 

“Ah,” the doctor nodded in understanding. She gestured for the girl to lie down on the bed while she carefully reached for her swelling arm. “Let’s take a look then—”

 

“Ow, !”

 

“Ow, !”

 

Sooyoung’s eyes were wide in seconds. So was Tiffany’s and Taeyeon’s, but for entirely different reasons.

 

It didn’t matter who yelled first, because Sooyoung was sure it was both her patient and her friend at the same time. And when it’s something she normally didn’t care about, the fact that one of her best friends might have just found her soulmate was enough reason for her to give a . Suddenly, she remembered how Tiffany was whining about a sharp pain in her right arm a while ago, half annoyed and half worried about the soulmate she was yet to meet.

 

Sooyoung, suddenly feeling devious, put a little pressure on the fractured arm again.

 

“Ow, ow, ow!”

 

“Stop that, it hurts!”

 

And she did, after Tiffany had hit her on the back of her head with the clipboard she had swiped from her.

 

But there was no doubt about it now. Kim Taeyeon and Tiffany Hwang, both 27 years old and both fortunately single, were each other’s soulmates.


 

—–