II.

Soulmate

a/n: What one shot? LOL OTL

Disclaimer: Still a crackfic. Still very short.

 

-----

 

“Whoever thought that it’s romantic to feel your soulmate’s pain is a complete idiot.”

 

“Don’t be like that, Tiff—”

 

“No, no. You don’t get it, Soo.”

 

Tiffany leaned forward, sharp elbows planted on the table.

 

“Just this year alone, my soulmate has managed to sprain an ankle, dislocate a shoulder, hit their head several times, crack a few ribs, and lose a toe nail,” Tiffany raised her two fingers and wiggled, “Twice. On the same toe.”

 

Given that the list she just blurted out were just mere assumptions based from the amount of pain she had gotten courtesy of her stupid soulmate, Tiffany was sure she wasn’t that far off at all. Even as a kid she had gotten at least two phantom pains every week, and by the time she hit puberty, she was sure that either her soulmate was one of the slaves who got whipped on the back while building the pyramids, or probably just a klutz who couldn’t walk straight without tripping.

 

She huffed then, both at her thoughts and the main topic of conversation. She leaned back on the sofa with a tired grunt. “I don’t know, I mean—If you’re soulmates with a person who seems to work as a crash test dummy, you’ll get tired of the constant injury.”

 

Tiffany looked out the cafe’s window just in time to see another idiot on a skateboard hitting a dumpster before flying off onto the pavement. She grimaced, shook her head, and huffed.

 

“I don’t care anymore.”

 

 

—–

 

 

But she did care. If there was anyone in the world who cared more than she should, it was definitely Tiffany. She might have been pissed all the time, but it was only because she was worried.

 

By the time she was old enough to understand why she had been getting random stings and jolts of pain in her body, she had started to document each one in a journal. The volumes had grown over the years, and now at the fine age of 27, Tiffany had a shelf filled with hand written accounts of her soulmate’s pain, or as she fondly called, her soulmate’s “desperate attempt of keeping their together”.

 

It was also one of the driving reasons why she became a doctor, because she figured, that knowing how to treat and save a person’s life would be an important skill once she meets her fated one, who apparently had a knack of getting hurt constantly. But that was only if she ever got to meet them in one piece.

 

Until then, she did her best to avoid anything and everything that could hurt her, thinking that everything that’s been happening to her soulmate was enough for the both of them. She didn’t want to cause any more pain—that, and because she was a wimp.

 

But she wouldn’t admit that out loud to anyone.

 

 

—–

 

 

A stinging pain shot through Tiffany’s right arm, catching her off guard and making her drop her french fry onto the napkin. She huffed as she pulled out her phone and opened the Calendar app.

 

'Not again,' she thought, clutching on her right arm as she grimaced. The last mark had been exactly four weeks ago.

 

“You’ve been doing fine for the past month, what have you gotten yourself into again…” She muttered to herself, asking questions that no one could really answer.

 

Her friend Sooyoung was eyeing her curiously, wordlessly asking what was wrong while she chewed on her burger (her third today). Tiffany shrugged and it was enough for the other to know what it was about.

 

They continued eating like nothing happened, while the stinging pain had finally subsided and has now become a dull throb.

 

Until Hyoyeon came in bursting through the door, and Tiffany felt a sudden migraine coming in instead.

 

 

—–

 

 

The first thing that came to Tiffany’s mind after hitting Sooyoung’s head with a clipboard was ‘Holy , my soulmate is a girl’.

 

 

—–