Let the Beat Drop

The Secret Life of Park Jimin

Eyyo, ladies and gentlemen 준비가 됐다면 부를게 yeah!

녀석들과는 다르게

스타일로 스타일로 에오!

Jimin slid forward, black leather face mask in place. His black muscle tank with the transparent back moved with him, following him to the front of the stage. Jimin, flanked by Taehyung and Jungkook, launched into their first track with energy and happiness.

The spotlight of the gym burned bright on their skin, warming them as the three reached the beat drop.

쩔어!                                            

As if connected by a string, the three began the choreographed body rolls and hip s, moving perfectly to the beat of the music.

Somewhere in the crowd, the Bangtan Boys were staring at the stage with mouths agape. Yoongi swallowed thickly, half concerned that he’d never seen such talent at his school before, half preoccupied by the shortest dancer who kept insisting on flashing his abs to the audience.

Cause we got fire (fire!)

Higher (higher!)

I gotta make it, I gotta make it

쩔어!

©

 

Three Hours Earlier

Jimin, Taehyung and Jungkook all sat in their favourite milk tea shop, enjoying their drinks before they would head over to the school for their performance. Home for all three of them was too far away for them to be able to go home.

“You have everything, right?” Jungkook asked Jimin worriedly for the fourth time that night, “If you forgot the masks I’ll murder you.”

“Looks like you won’t have to dig my grave tonight,” Jimin said cheerfully, eyes disappearing as he grinned widely, “Sorry, babe.”

Jungkook just kicked Jimin in response, making him groan in pain, “Taehyung, did you bring the food that Eomma packed for us?” Taehyung nodded in response, pulling out the plastic containers, handing one to each. Jungkook turned to Jimin, “My mom made food for us; she feels bad that she’s going to be working while we perform.”

Jimin wrinkled his nose, “My mom’s working too and she doesn’t make me food!”

“Yeah, ‘cause you’re a brat,” Taehyung snickered at Jimin’s frowning face.

“Just eat your food, please!” Jungkook groaned, stuffing some rice into his mouth. “You guys talk too much.” The table quieted down as the three began wolfing their food down. The only sounds were chopsticks banging against the plastic of the containers and the occasional slurp.

They ate for about an hour, occasionally making comments about each other and their eating habits—never positive, of course. Once they were done, the ahjumma running the shop gave them each a free drink for their service.

“Come again, sweethearts!” She called after them as the three trouped out onto the street.

“I think our bus is over that way,” Jimin announced, pointing down the street. The other two followed, and they managed to get to the stop right as the bus did. The ride very wasn’t long, so they were back at school where homecoming would be.

“Should we get ready now?” Jungkook wondered as they entered the school, “I really don’t want to have to wear our school uniforms on stage.” The other two nodded in agreement. They headed down the empty hall, footsteps echoing off the walls. They went to their lockers in order to get everything that they would need for the performance. The three were wearing different types of black t-shirts—Taehyung was wearing an all leather long sleeve, Jungkook had a black t-shirt with words on it, and Jimin had a black muscle tank with a transparent back. They all wore black skinny jeans and matching leather face masks.

Jimin also made the official decision that everyone would wear makeup, and while the other two didn’t really want to admit it, it did make them look better. Coal black eyeliner framed their eyes, creating a contrast as the only things visible over their face masks.

“We all ready?” Jungkook asked the other two as they stuffed everything back into their lockers, “Masks on?” The three traded excited looks and pushed open the doors to the gym where Homecoming was taking place.

Loud music played as the basketball team warmed up. There were flashing lights everywhere, and a velvet curtain covered the stage. Jimin started bouncing on the heels of his feet, adrenaline coursing through his body.

“Yah, Jimin, chill,” Jungkook said, hitting him playfully, “We’ve got a while till we’re performing. We go up at half time, after Bangtan.”

“I’m not nervous, Kookie,” Jimin said in a low voice, “I’m excited.”

Across the school, backstage, Bangtan were all sitting around a rickety wooden table. A few cans of beer and a small bottle of chilled vodka were strewn across the table, courtesy of J-Hope’s college friends.

 

“Another shot!” J-Hope yelled, holding up his bottle of alcohol. Jin, who normally never drank, grabbed the shot glass and downed it, slamming it down against the table.

In true Bangtan fashion, the four were backstage before their big reveal, getting revved up.

“Pass me a beer, will you?” Suga pointed to Rap Monster, who easily complied, and took one for himself as well. “Excited for tonight?”

“Not different from any other night,” He replied, shrugging, “Same old, same old. We perform, girls scream. We leave, girls scream.”

“I did hear that Bang Yongguk is having an after party, you wanna go?” J-Hope added, grinning as he downed a shot as well.

Suga grunted noncomittaly, “Maybe. The little one, Zelo. He’s good to talk to.” Rap Monster just snorted and took another swig of beer. Loud cheering came from the gym, letting the boys know that the basketball game was starting.

“Half an hour, folks,” Rap Monster announced in true leader fashion. The other three nodded in response, not particularly concerned.

Suga exhaled slowly through his nose, trying to block out the sounds of J-Hope’s laughing and Jackson Wang’s obnoxious commentating on the game. He slowed his breathing, trying to absorb everything that was happening. Suga had developed a routine before he ever went on stage, and he hadn’t messed up yet.

“Yah, get your back here!” A loud, happy voice yelled from the hall outside of BTS’s room. Suga’s eyes flew open, his peace and quiet disturbed. “Where are you going? Give me my damn shoes back!” Loud footsteps ran down the hall, and Suga closed his eyes again, trying to regain his breathing. The silence lasted for about two seconds.

“GET YOUR OVER HERE!”

Suga gritted his teeth, trying not to snap, his jaw muscles clenching. There went his routine.

“ YOU!”

His chair slid to the floor, knocked over, as Suga stalked to the door and threw it open. It revealed two guys in all black, both wearing face masks. The shorter seemed vaguely familiar, but his striking eyes didn’t stick out in Suga’s mind. He was positive that if he’d ever seen the other before, he’d know. The two punks were dressed to perform, he noticed.

“Is it really that difficult to keep the noise levels down?” Suga asked in his usual low, menacing voice.

“Sorry, hyung,” The shorter said, drawing out the hyung in a sassy tone. His eyes crinkled together, forming adorable crescents. “We’ll be going now.”

The two turned and hurried down the hall, playfully jostling each other. Suga watched with narrowed eyes that only slightly widened when the taller one slapped the sassy one’s .

“Ey, Suga, you ready?” Rap Monster piled out of the room, followed by J-Hope, then Jin. “We’re on now.”

The MC for the night hooked up the mics as the Bangtan Boys entered the stage, announcing their appearance. The crowd exploded into cheers and chanting. The four took their starting positions, ready to capture the hearts of the audience once again.

It seemed like almost no time that the Bangtan Boys’ performance was over and it was time for Jimin, Taehyung and Jungkook to take the stage. There was no announcement, no preparation. The gym fell silent, all the lights out.

 

Eyyo, ladies and gentlemen 준비가 됐다면 부를게 yeah!

 

녀석들과는 다르게

 

스타일로 스타일로 에오!

Jimin slid forward, black leather face mask in place. His black muscle tank with the transparent back moved with him, following him to the front of the stage. Jimin, flanked by Taehyung and Jungkook, launched into their first track with energy and happiness.

The spotlight of the gym burned bright on their skin, warming them as the three reached the beat drop.

쩔어!

As if connected by a string, the three began the choreographed body rolls and hip s, moving perfectly to the beat of the music.

Somewhere in the crowd, the Bangtan Boys were staring at the stage with mouths agape. Yoongi swallowed thickly, half concerned that he’d never seen such talent at his school before, half preoccupied by the shortest dancer who kept insisting on flashing his abs to the audience.

“Weird,” Namjoon commented as he watched them with trained eyes, “I’ve never seen them around school, but normally Director only asks groups to perform with members at the school.”

“Maybe you just don’t recognize them or something,” Jin shrugged.

“Maybe,” Namjoon replied, obviously not convinced.

Cause we got fire (fire!)

Higher (higher!)

I gotta make it, I gotta make it

쩔어!

Jimin felt his body move to the first verse, moving precisely to the beat that he’d been practicing over and over, the actions engrained in his brain. There were so many body rolls in the choreography, and honestly speaking, with the mask and concealed identity, there was nothing that made him happier.

His eyes scanned the audience as they launched into a particularly difficult move, catching the eyes of none other than Min Suga, the one and only menace who had been yelling at him not even twenty minutes ago.

I wish he’d be screaming my name in bed, Jimin thought with a smirk. There was something about XYZ Jimin that made him a different person from every day, Sakyung Prep Jimin.

거부는 거부해

전부 나의 노예

모두 따라

쩔어

Yoongi gulped again as he watched the short guy’s hips roll to the beat of the music, totally not imagining those hips moving against his, what? He shook his head, telling himself to refocus.

The kids were good, he had to admit that. Like Namjoon said, he wasn’t sure how they’d never seen them around school before.

They wrapped up their first song and started their second with no awkward pause. The second song had a much more upbeat feel, and almost sounded like something that Yoongi would produce and rap. He shrugged—must be coincidence. Yoongi looked over at the other guys. J-Hope was leaning forward in his chair, eyes fixed on the stage, mouth still open.

 

The music ended with the crowd erupting into loud cheers, standing up on their feet in praise. The dean, Mr. Choi, entered the stage and tapped the microphone. It took a couple of moments for the crowd to quiet down again. One girl, feeling particularly brave, screamed “Please marry me!”, causing a lot of laughter.

“Let’s give it up again for XYZ!” The crowd continued to cheer loudly, and the three took their bows, unseen smiles plastered on their faces. They took a final bow and left the stage, cheering and punching each other.

“That was awesome!” Taehyung cried, ripping off his face mask. Jungkook grabbed it and shoved it back onto his face quickly, glaring.

“Don’t!” He exclaimed, “People might still see us and recognize us.”

“Oh yeah,” Jimin said thoughtfully, “I didn’t even think of that.”

“Of course you didn’t,” Jungkook laughed at his hyung as they started towards the hall that led out of the school. He took out his phone to check his texts, and Jimin pulled on a sweater--his shirt that was missing about half of it was getting a little chilly. Taehyung was just about to ask Jimin if he saw Bangtan’s reaction when footsteps, followed by a loud voice that echoed down the hallway, startling the three of them.

“YAH! XYZ!”

Jimin whirled around, startled, almost tripping over his own two feet. It was the Bangtan Boys in the flesh in blood, Kim Namjoon leading them. Suga, he noticed, was wearing his hoodie that the rapper had forced him to give him. It sent a wave of unexpected happiness over Jimin, which scared him a little.

“Who are you guys?” Jin asked, stepping forward with a gentle smile on his lips.

“Why would you care?” Jungkook countered, coming up to stand next to Jimin. Taehyung followed on the other side, “It’s not like we’re stealing your fangirls or anything.”

“Look, just don’t perform any of the songs that we do, and we’ll do the same,” Rap Monster warned, adjusting his snapback, “We good? We work hard at what we do. Don’t be copying us.”

“We’re good at what we do, so I mean,” as his voice trailed off, Jimin shrugged, “Why shouldn’t we get to?” Jimin continued, strutting up to them with a small smirk that no one could see on his face. “We have every right to.”

“Look punk, just don’t with our stuff, ‘aight?” Suga asked in his low drawl, sending shivers down Jimin’s spine. But he was on a roll, and some borderline attractive rapper wasn’t going to stop him.

“Why don’t I just you instead?” Jimin asked teasingly, making Taehyung and Jungkook burst into cheers and laughter behind him, and he vaguely heard a “kill ‘em!” from J-Hope. If he hadn’t been wearing a face mask, he probably would’ve bit his lip. Suga grinned, and turned to Namjoon.

“I like this one,” he commented, the grin still on his face, “More sass than most brats have.”

“I guess, if you really squint,” Rap Monster muttered back, “They all seem so young.”

Suga just shrugged back, eyes travelling up and down Jimin’s sweaty body and giving a lip bite of his own.

“So, you guys go here, right?” J-Hope asked, popping up from behind Rap Monster, “I don’t think I recognize you from any of my classes, and I know like, all of the upperclassmen.”

“Wonder why,” Jungkook whispered, chuckling—the three were still wearing their face masks.

“What class?” Jin wondered, leaning on Rap Monster’s shoulder slightly, “Second years, third years?”

“First,” Taehyung supplied, eyes crinkling in a smile, “1-C.”

“See, I told you,” Jin smirked over at Rap Monster, who just rolled his eyes in defeat.

“Wah, really?” J-Hope exclaimed excitedly, “You guys are so young, but such good dancers! That’s incredible!”

The two groups exploded into talking and conversation about dancing, any animosity forgotten.

“So, kid, what’s your name?” Suga asked Jimin, internally gloating over the fact that he was taller. He’d noticed that the brat looked short onstage, but damn he was short.

“I dunno, you’ll have to figure that out,” Jimin let his Busan accent seep through his words, taking pride in how Suga took a gulp of air.

“Sure,” Yoongi replied, taking his phone out, “Just give me your number and we can talk, or maybe do something else.” The last words were laced with suggestion as he smirked at the younger. Jimin had absolutely no idea where his courage had come from, and how he hadn’t melted—abs and all—into a gooey mess yet.

Jimin accepted the phone from Yoongi and typed his number in, using only an emoji as his contact name. When Yoongi got it back, he just saw it and gave a smirk.

“So you’re one of those people?” Yoongi asked with a grin, “I feel like you’d be the type to use the eggplant emoji.”

“I actually hate that one, I’ll have you know,” Jimin replied airily, leaning against the cold wall. He pulled the hoodie over his head, the sweat and adrenaline slowly fading to the cold of the night.

“That sweatshirt doesn’t look like yours,” Jin commented, momentarily paying attention to their conversation before butting back into Namjoon’s.

“Yeah, is it your boyfriend’s?” Jimin asked, inwardly fist pumping at the opportunity.

“Nah,” Yoongi replied, shaking his head.

“buddy?” Jimin pressed, wanting to get a reaction out of him. All that he got was Yoongi gulping again and shifting his weight to his other leg. The two stared at each other, almost identical smirks on both of their faces.

“You guys wanna go to Yongguk’s party? You know who he is, right?” Namjoon asked the whole group, ruining the mood with his loud, slightly abrasive voice. Jungkook, Taehyung and Jimin all traded looks of varying levels of caution. “It’s gonna be as lit as the last one, I hear.”

“I think we’ll pass on this one, but thanks,” Jimin said, a little bit regretful that he wouldn’t be able to hang out with Yoongi for longer, “Our parents don’t like us being anywhere but home that late.”

“Oh, you’ve got those parents,” J-Hope snickered at the three, a comical expression painting his face. “Well, it was nice meeting you guys.” He waved, and Jimin caught sight of Taehyung’s number on the palm of his hand.

“You too,” Jungkook said, and the three bowed slightly and headed off to their bus stop in happiness. It took them about a five minute walk to get there, given how many bus stops there were in the bustling city of Seoul.

“I somehow thought they would be bigger s,” Taehyung commented. “Maybe it’s because they view us as equals or something, I dunno.”

“Yeah, they’re not really nice to me in the halls,” Jungkook commented, “J-Hope and Rap Monster have trashed my stuff before.”

“Wait, seriously?” Jimin said as they got on the bus and paid—they were heading to Jungkook’s house. “I’ve gotten kinda pushed around by them in the halls and stuff but never anything serious.”

“Yeah, I didn’t get hurt or anything,” Jungkook replied, shaking his head, “Even with their popularity, they would still get in trouble for that, I think.”

“Ay, here’s our stop!” Jimin poked the other two and grabbed his bag, rushing down the stairs, “And I hope you have food at home, Kookie!”

“Don’t call me that or you won’t get any food!” Jungkook shouted back as the three started to race down the street, trying to beat the other two. Jimin almost dropped his backpack twice, and Jungkook tripped and fell, only to scramble back up. Taehyung shot down the street past the two, the fastest runner out of the three.

“Beat you all!” Taehyung shouted from Jungkook’s front door, already unlocking it with his spare key. “ my !”

With that, he slammed the door shut with a bang, leaving Jungkook and Jimin to run to the door, out of breath. Panting, Jungkook fished his keys out of his pants pocket and unlocked the door. Finally, he got the door open, and the two burst inside.

“He’s already upstairs,” Jungkook’s mom said. She’d just gotten home herself, and was taking off her nice suit jacket. Her kind eyes sparkled as the two boys rushed up the stairs, used to the three of them crashing in her home. The three mothers knew each other very well, and talked often.

“So, how’d things go with J-Hope?” Jimin asked slyly after they had settled into Jungkook’s room. “I saw he got your number, is he gonna slide into your DMs?” Taehyung chucked a pillow at him.

“I dunno, is Suga gonna slide into yours?” He shot back, grinning, “I know he got your number, I saw you put it in.”

“Speaking of which, Jungkook, can I charge my phone? I kept forgetting to,” Jimin complained, opening his backpack. “I haven’t for like, three days.”

“Yeah sure,” Jungkook replied, going to get his charger. He was about to throw it to Jimin when the shorter gave a loud scream.

“I can’t find my phone,” Jimin said in a panicked voice, freaking out, “I can’t find my phone!” He started flailing his arms frantically, looking through everyone’s bag and rifling through his own multiple times. “CALL IT! NOW!”

Taehyung wordlessly called it, waiting. Nothing rang in the room—no sounds, no nothing. Jimin buried his face into his hands desperately, trying to remember where he had left it. His head shot up in shock.

“It’s at school,” He said, voice in a dead whisper, “I dropped it when Bangtan gave me a hard time and I never picked it up.”

“Well, , you’re smart,” Taehyung drawled sarcastically, “The hell are you going to do now? Suga’s probably gonna text you.”

“Don’t remind me!” Jimin groaned, shaking his head. “I don’t want to think about this.”

“Just give it some time,” Jungkook said in a moment of helpfulness, “I’m sure it’ll turn up.”

Taehyung settled onto his stomach, opening up Instagram. Jimin peered over his shoulder, wanting to know what their friends outside of school were doing.

“Oh, Mark and Jr are at a party!” Taehyung commented as he double tapped a picture of Jr lying on a couch, obviously at a party, on Mark Tuan’s Instagram.

“Wait, wait, isn’t that Rap Monster in the background?” Jimin scrambled, pointing to a laughing guy in the back of the picture. Taehyung gasped a little.

“Holy , it is! Mark and Jr went to the party that Rap Monster invited us to!” He exclaimed.

“Man, we’re lucky that we aren’t there,” Jungkook sighed, shaking his head.

“Nice performance, Suga!” Yet another meaningless, grubby person congratulated Yoongi. He was sitting on the couch at Yongguk’s party, not really in the mood to get drunk or high. He just nodded at the person and continued playing games on his phone.

As he rearranged his sitting position, he felt another phone pressing at his . Oh right, it’s the phone I picked up in the hall, he thought to himself. He took it out and pressed the power button, revealing a picture of Taeyang from Big Bang as the lock screen. Yoongi burrowed further into that punk’s sweatshirt and looked closely at the screen. He should probably try and find the owner of the phone...

…This phone belongs to Park Jimin. This phone belongs to Park Jimin. This phone belongs to Park…

Park Jimin.

That was a name that Yoongi wouldn’t forget.

 


note that i am cross posting to ao3 under kungfucoffee, just so no one thinks that i'm plagarizing from myself haha