Two

When It Was Me

The next morning came faster than Luhan thought. He woke up to the smell of Sehun’s breakfast, thankful the latter was trying to ease the stress; but he wasn’t desperate enough to want the younger making salty eggs and bitter coffee for him. He doesn’t voice this concern to Sehun though, not wanting him to feel as if he’s of no help.

Small-talk began started and as time ticked away, Luhan found himself dreading the meeting. He was opting to call Baekhyun or Xiumin, wanting to take up on their offer from an earlier phone call, in which Luhan informed both boys with his current situation, of ditching and spending a day with them instead. 

But he knew he’ll have to face it one way or another. It was an unavoidable event.

Sehun was trying to contain the bubbles sprouting out of him, this obvious with the bounce his legs would continuously do. 

Luhan could only stare with anxiousness, crossing fingers in hopes of Krystal prolonging the meet. However, this was proved pointless when a knock resonated throughout the apartment. 

Sehun sprung out of his seat and went to open the door.

Luhan was anticipating it to be an ad or the neighbor needing more sugar, but his hopes died down when two figures strolled in, as if all their relationship was as casual as yesterday‘s. Luhan wanted to question this at first but his mind was already too distracted to do so.

Sehun mumbled something Luhan couldn’t quite decipher. Then all three walked into the living room. Luhan stood up and bowed respectfully, although reluctantly, to a beautiful girl.

“It’s so nice to finally meet you. I’m Krystal.” Krystal flashed a blinding smile at him.

She was beautiful. She was tall, though not as tall as Luhan himself, but her legs were slender and toned. Her hair was jet black and long, reaching to her tailbone. She wore white pants and a blue long-sleeve blouse that fitted her frame delicately. She was the epitome of a supermodel.

And clinging to her waist, was a small boy with rounded eyes. His hands were wrapped around Krystal’s torso and head buried in her shoulder. 

Luhan immediately thought of Sehun once the boy looked up. They bore the same eyes, even the shape of their nose was the same. Everything about him screamed Sehun.

Sehun had a more stoic and I-don’t-care expression, but his son looked outgoing and quite more bubbly.

“This is Seho. He’s shy at first, but once he knows you, he’ll open up.” Krystal waved at the small Sehun, as if they’ll have more encounters in the future.

Luhan in his breath, trying to swallow in blunt statements back into his throat.

The fact that Sehun and Seho had a very similar name made him eye Krystal with suspicion. 

A thick tension suddenly dwelled in as the four awkwardly face one another, the dreaded meeting now before them.

A cough breaks the silence. “I guess I’ll go get some refreshments.” Sehun proceeded to the kitchen, leaving Luhan--alone, with Krystal and Seho. 

But as soon as Sehun’s presence was gone, Krystal made a nice sitting position for herself at the far end of the couch. Seho whined a little and she was forced to let him on the ground. “Mommy,” the little boy begged, “color!”

Krystal blindingly smiled again. She took out a coloring book and crayons for the little boy, who happily accepted the utensils.

“So…” Luhan began, hands wrapped on crossed knees, “how old is he?”

“He’s actually turning four next week.” Krystal proudly presented. She gave a motherly smile to him, who stayed oblivious to any of the adults.

“That’s nice…” Luhan chuckled, though it was with un-amusement rather than joy.

Silence consumed then again. 

Krystal was the couch, also looking around the apartment. She was awed with everything she saw, Luhan noted.

Sehun entered after a few minutes and had a cup of tea and… was that milk?

“Sorry it took a while. I’m new at making tea.” Sehun apologized, also handing her and Seho their cups. 

When did Sehun buy tea?

When did he buy milk?

“Ah, no worries Sehun-ah.”

Her thin fingers wrapped around the teacup and she sipped the tip, slurping with a noise that could compete against a queen’s. 

“Oh, Sehun! White tea, it’s my favorite.” Krystal exclaimed. 

Sehun laughed and congratulated himself. “I know. That’s why I got that kind.”

“I can’t believe you remembered.”

Both laughed. Luhan didn’t.

He was getting more annoyed as the two continued conversing about tea. What was special about it anyway? It was just tea, not some kind of magical healing potion. 

The look of annoyance was sadly wiped off when he was brought into the conversation; however, it was of a different subject. 

“This place is so beautifully decorated. It’s also so clean!” Krystal praised.

Sehun smirked and held Luhan close. “And it’s all thanks to Luhan. I couldn’t clean to save a life.” Luhan chuckled at the comment, but it was soon replaced with a frown deeper than the earth‘s core.

“Of course you couldn’t. I remembered I had nowhere to step in your room! It was such a mess.”

Luhan’s eyebrows rose up. “She was in your bedroom once?” His voice laced with venom, a poison that Sehun knew all too well. Well enough to calm, luckily for the both of them.

“Once, in the past when we were dating.” Though calmly said, he was secretly eyeing the jealous man squirming beside him. Luhan, on the other hand, didn’t even glance at Sehun. His jealousy was rapidly overtaking his body, faster than light.

It didn’t help with Krystal’s constant chatter of the past.

“Speaking of your home, how’re your parents doing? I bet your mom is still as beautiful as I remember-”

Luhan had concealed his ear of all girlish talk when she opened . He was not going to hear her reminisce of her visit to Sehun’s house. He hated talking about his in-laws so openly like this, especially with their view towards him. They aren’t really fond of Luhan, even with their upcoming wedding. 

Sehun knew this and that’s why he changed the subject, Luhan became grateful. 

“My mother is fine. Why don’t we talk about your job? I heard you were still trying to find one?”

Krystal immediately snapped closed, head hung low and jaw slack as if suddenly shy. This caught Luhan’s attention, who then became slightly sympathetic.

“I dropped out of college once I found out I was pregnant. Recently, I got a certificate in business management. Though not as qualified as others, I’m hoping a firm will hire me soon.”

Slightly concerned, Sehun shook his head with a smile. “It’s okay, you’ve got me.” He bit his lip at the mistake. Luhan, who didn’t seem to happy at Sehun‘s slip up, untangled his fingers and proceeded to cross his arms, staying silent. 

“Uh, what I mean is, I can set an interview for you at my firm. We’re not really hiring right now, but you can be an exception.”

Krystal beamed a graceful smile, dimples also displaying. Luhan wasn’t pleased, but not because of the dimple. The fact that Sehun was pulling efforts to make Krystal’s life easier was irking him to the point of wanting to argue.

What actually bugged him the most was the fact that it meant more encounters with Krystal. Sehun and Krystal would see each other more often and Luhan wasn’t sure if he liked that idea.

“You’re the best, Sehun! It would be so much more convenient too. I mean, once Seho and I move here, we could always just leave together and plus, we won’t need to hire a babysitter since we got-”

“Move here?!” Luhan suddenly interrupted. He was flabbergasted that she would say such a thing. Sehun hadn’t mentioned this to him. Anger ignited inside once he connected eyes with Sehun’s guilty ones, an obvious sign of lying.

“What is she saying, Sehun?” Luhan was standing up, all attention on him. Seho, who was mumbling to himself, had even quieted down. His work of art now just a background piece.

Sehun scratched his neck, shaking from his fiancé’s deathly glare. “Maybe I forgot to mention a minor detail?” Fear was evident in his tensing voice. “I’m kind of allowing them…” he waved towards Krystal who now had Seho in her arms, “to live with us… for a little bit…”

“You didn’t tell him?”

Luhan became angry. Very angry. If his reddened face and twisting palms weren’t enough evidence to give it away, his argument was a good enough excuse to. 

“What the hell are you thinking? You can’t just go off on your own making decisions without asking me first! Don’t forget, I also live here.”

Sehun reached out, attempting to calm him down. It was useless.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you. But I want to help Seho. He’s my son and I don’t want him to have a ruined life because he doesn’t have a father there for him.” 

“So I guess my opinion doesn’t matter? I have to pay for your stupid mistake?”

Sehun rolled his eyes at Luhan’s childish behavior. “Stop saying it was a stupid mistake!”

“But it was! He was never planned!” Luhan reasoned. He was honest and blunt.

Sehun was astounded Luhan would say such things in front of Seho and Krystal.

Avoiding this argument was a lost hope.

“He was a mistake, but I don’t regret it! In fact, I will cherish it. Seho and Krystal will be living with us from now on. They aren’t financially well-off right now and I‘m the only person who can help them!” Sehun sternly stated. 

Krystal was already standing up. Seho clung to her waist, scared at the sudden shouting. She was walking away, hoping to avoid the mess she caused. “Maybe I should just leave-”

“Do it then!”

“No!”

Both Sehun and Luhan shouted at the same time. Luhan turned back to glare at Sehun’s same deathly glare.

“What is your problem?” Sehun said, walking towards the duo that were almost out the door. Sehun slammed the door shut once it was opened, grabbing a hold of Krystal’s wrist before dragging her back inside the room. She yelped as Sehun harshly let her go, though he had nudged her belongings back inside as well.

Luhan could only stare in awe, clapping hands that Sehun would act such ways in front of him.

“You lied to me. You were even meeting her behind my back.” His sudden accusations took Sehun by surprise. Luhan knew he sounded irrational, but he was too angry too care at this point.

“Luhan, I’m not cheating on you! I would never do that and you know it!”

“Sehun, I think I want to leave… I don’t feel comfortable.” Krystal intercepted. Luhan hated that Sehun was hovering over her like he was her guardian, or worst, lover. The ideal was there too, the three of them stood like a family in the entrance of the living room.

“No. Stay. I’ll convince Luhan that Seho needs a dad.”

“Don’t make me sound like the bad guy here. I’m not going to be an evil step-monster who won’t let a son see his dad.” Luhan crossed his arm.

Seho began to whine, causing a ruckus. Krystal struggled to keep him upright as he squirmed in her hold, wanting to be let go. On instincts, Sehun offered his hands, in which Krystal took the chance to free herself of Seho. The little boy climbed onto Sehun’s arms and rested against his broad chest, head lolling while Krystal rubbed soothing circles on his back.

It was a picture-perfect scene. A child with two parents who loved him. The only drawback was the obstacle. Luhan was the obstacle. He was the outside force that was keeping this portrait from being real. He was the evil stepmother that forbid a son’s happiness because of the absence of his father. 

New thoughts began to form and the more the trio stood in the entryway like a family, the more Luhan pondered with doubt. What if he was the one ruining Krystal’s life? After all, she only wanted a fatherly-figure to be there for her son. It’s what’s best for a boy his age. And Luhan was an obstacle ruining the chance. 

Lips dragging down, Luhan wavers his way between the small family. He glances at Sehun once and mutters a small “fine” before escaping out the door. Before Sehun could comprehend anything, he’s spluttering out of shock and running after Luhan. But Luhan was already in the elevator. The last thing he hears before the doors begin to close is “Don’t be rash, Luhan!”