Four

When It Was Me

Krystal and Seho arrive the next day. Krystal apologizes for her inconvenience and though Luhan desperately wants to scream at her, he doesn’t. Instead, he fakes a grin and forgives her, stating he was only in shock with the sudden information. 

Sehun helps them move in. He agrees to transport their belongings to and from their small home to the apartment. Luhan sits and watch as their once spacious apartment becomes less and less. The two rooms get filled. One occupant being Krystal, the other being Seho. Though Luhan is sure Seho doesn’t need his room, he sleeps with his mom. 

The two rooms aren’t the only things being taken. Their bathroom counter and bathtub are soon full of feminine products and baby needs. Some decorations are being removed and replaced by her own. “It’ll bring up the colors,” Krystal would say, much to Luhan’s silent curse. What irks Luhan the most are the various toys placed in random places throughout the apartment, despite having only been here for a few hours.

It’s around night when everything is finished and set up. Sehun is tired by then, wanting to rest but Luhan insists him to stay up because he doesn’t want to be alone with the other two, but Sehun didn’t need to know that part.

So with a restless body, Sehun and the rest are sitting together in the living room, almost like the day before. It’s their first meeting all over again and Luhan hopes nothing drastic recounts them. 

Sehun orders Chinese take-out, Luhan happily woops inside, and as they wait for the food to arrive, the atmosphere becomes a silent line of awkwardness. No one speaks up in fear of ruining the calm day. Seho’s occasional conversations to anyone paying attention would shortly come up.

“Crayon’s not working!” The little boy blurts out, irritation written all over his face as he holds a white crayon for everyone to see. He had been coloring a piece of paper. A piece of white paper.

Luhan wants to shake his head at the stupidity of the younger boy.

“Tomorrow I’ll take you to work and I’ll get you an interview.” Sehun informs Krystal who beams happily. She claps her hands lowly, making Luhan want to puke at the cute act. 

“Thank you Sehun! I promise once I get enough money, I’ll find a home for Seho and I.” Luhan secretly hopes this day will come soon. 

“You can stay here for as long as you need.” Sehun says.

Luhan bites his tongue, forcing savage comments to disappear. The idea of Krystal and Seho living here makes Luhan squirm in uneasiness.

His happiness was already depleting.

The door then rings and Luhan is quick to gather himself at the front, gladly taking the chance to leave Krystal’s annoying presence. He pays a thin boy well, with extra tip, and receives the Chinese take-out. 

There are three boxes. One for Luhan, Sehun, and Krystal, making Seho share with his mom only because they eat smaller portions. With quick movements, all four chow down their food.

The room soon fills with sounds of teeth clattering against chunks of food, frequent burps with excuses, and gurgles of baby whimpers. Oddly, Luhan thinks the group is progressing in social interactions.

Silence is soon broken when Krystal lulls Sehun into a conversation about his company. Luhan, not really understanding business and computer talk, opts to ignore the boring chats and finish his meal to himself. He opts to, but with something constantly tugging his pants, he’s not able to concentrate on eating.

Finally looking down, Luhan sees big-bugged eyes admiring him. He frowns and tries to shove Seho away. It’s useless because the boy’s grip wouldn‘t untangle. 

“I need to pee!” 

Luhan chokes on nothing. “Say that again…”

“Pee!” The brown eyes stare up at him, hands clasped against his shirt as his collarbones begin to reveal.

“Ask your mom.” He then says, already turning the other way to avoid eye contact, just in case the kid was persistent. 

“Hurry! Hurry!”

Luhan huffs pulling away from the clenched grip, surprisingly strong for a three-year old, and gestures for Krystal’s attention. If only she wasn’t occupied with Sehun’s existence. He seethes his teeth an wrath, planning to in because Sehun should not be smiling like that. 

An “ah“ escapes his mouth just as something is thrown at his head. Looking around, Luhan picks up a white crayon and frowns at Seho. “Look, don’t you wear diapers or something?” 

“I’m a big boy!”

“Then go pee alone!”

“Don’t yell at me!”

Luhan desperately wants to argue back because there is no way a three-year old is telling him what to do. But as he opens his mouth, his body is already being dragged away from the room and into the bathroom.

The door doesn’t bother shutting and before Luhan is able to comprehend anything, Seho pulls his own pants down and puts his arms out. He tries not to look, avoiding the ness of Seho. But Seho begins to wail and Luhan is forced to sit the boy on the toilet seat.

Luhan stands awkwardly as Seho pees. 

After flushing the toilet, Seho signals to be brought up to the sink. Luhan does just that. Seho washes his hands messily but cleanly, also leaving a puddle of water all over the counter. Luhan groans because he knows he‘ll have to clean up later. 

Much to Luhan’s dismay, Seho also demands to be in Luhan’s arms. He wants to roll his eyes because what happened to being a “big boy”?

So as they walk back into the living room together, Krystal’s laughing stops upon seeing Seho clinging onto Luhan, who has a scowl plastering on his sweet face.

“Looks like you two are getting along well,” Sehun notes. Luhan flusters and immediately lets the younger boy down, despite his attempts to cling onto him harder. Luhan ends up flipping him over on the couch, causing his head to collide against the armrest.

Seho cries.

Krystal is quick to gather him in his arms, cooing at his head and kissing it. She doesn’t glare or yell at Luhan, who feels no sense of sympathy considering how it was Seho’s own doing. 

Sehun frowns. “You need to be more careful with Seho. He’s just a kid.”

Luhan rolls his eyes because it was definitely Seho’s own fault for clinging onto him. He wants to defend himself but judging from Sehun’s disappointment, he already knows he’ll lose the argument. Plus arguing against a three-year old seems pretty pointless.

Luhan glances at Seho once, who has tears rolling down his cherub cheeks, and scoffs. He tilts his head and eyes Sehun’s reaction, seeming to have his attention only on Seho. 

“Come here, baby.” Sehun says, hands ready for the impact of the boy. Luhan gapes because Sehun is acting like a dad. No doubt, Sehun has picked up techniques and skills of parenthood, at a fast rate too. 

Seho climbs down his mom and heads towards Sehun, hugging him tightly as Sehun brings him up. He lolls his head against Sehun’s neck, his hair tickling Sehun’s chin. Krystal smiles at the picture-perfect scene, Luhan doing the opposite.

“You’re already so good at this, Sehun!” Krystal beams.

Sehun could only smile, a different warmth seething his insides as Seho cries into his shoulder. A comfortable sensation overwhelms him. 

“I think I could get use to this.”

“I think you already are.” Krystal doesn’t miss to tell.

Luhan shrugs casually. “Then why don’t you start a daycare.” Rather than mumbling to himself like he wanted, his mumbles don’t go amiss to the other two adults who evidently detects his jealousy. 

“Luhan, I didn’t mean it that way.” Sehun reasons.

“Of course you didn’t. You only meant it in a family-like way.” 

Krystal twiddles her fingers, stuck in-between the middle of another oncoming argument. 

“What‘s your point, Luhan?”

“Exactly what I said. Family. You could get use to a family.”

Krystal carries Seho and slowly backs up. “Maybe we should go to bed now…”

Luhan huffs a sigh because it was just like last time. “No. Stay. I’ll go to bed.” With finality, Luhan strolls over to his and Sehun’s shared room and enters, leaving a confused Sehun alone with his ex and son. 

Sehun feels like strangling his fiancé. He was complicating things again. He knew Luhan still wasn’t pleased with the idea of living with the other two. But this was his only option and if Luhan’s support still wants to remain hidden, then so be it. Sehun will not take any of Luhan’s jealous tantrums anymore.

He apologizes to Krystal, who has busied herself into cleaning their food, and runs after Luhan. Entering their room, he finds Luhan in the midst of changing into pajamas. 

“Look, Lu. Krystal and Seho needs me. So I’ve helped them in the best way possible but I didn’t sign them up to feel unwanted. She already had plenty of that in college and she doesn’t need anymore of it.”

Luhan ignores the younger and proceeds to their king size bed, spreading the covers and situating in them. Sehun rounds the corner and sits on the edge.

“Feeling like she doesn’t belong is all she’s been feeling ever since meeting you. I want to make her and Seho happy. It was practically my fault I got her pregnant and - are you even listening?!”

Still, no reply. 

Sehun feels the blood in himself boil, teeth seething in a fiery effect. 

“What is your problem, Luhan?!” Sehun starts. This time, Luhan drags his long gaze towards the grimace expression of Sehun. He’s red, obviously very angry with Luhan’s attitude.

“What’s my problem? Krystal and Seho are my problem, in case you haven’t realized yet.” Luhan, unexpectedly, calmly says.

“I thought you agreed to this.” Sehun crosses his arms. 

Luhan shakes his head. “I didn’t say I would like it. I’m giving up my happiness for them. If I can pretend any longer, I won‘t be able to handle it.”

“Then don’t pretend!”

“It’s not as easy as you think, Sehun.” Luhan defends. “Maybe for you it is, but not me. I didn’t play around with her in college and I certainly didn’t give her life.”

Sehun bites his lips, a sign of wrath. “Just because I slept with Krystal doesn’t make her an instant friend. It was hard on me too, but I learned to accept it and now I have a son. A son that I will continue to support.”

An eerie silence comes forth. Luhan, aggravated, flips the bed lights off, turning until he’s facing the wall. He no longer wants Sehun’s presence to be here, but it seems the latter isn’t getting the hint. Instead of leaving like Luhan had hoped, Sehun crawls towards his lover and wraps his strong arms around Luhan’s lithe frame. 

“Are you jealous?”

Luhan scoffs.

Sehun beams a smile, lips dangerously close to Luhan’s. “You are, aren’t you?”

“And what makes you think that!”

“You’re not really good at hiding your emotions.”

Luhan shakes off the younger. “Go away, Sehun.”

“Not until you tell me you love me.”

Luhan bites his lips, irritated in the sudden change of demeanor. “I love you. Now leave so I can sleep!”

Sehun frowns. “I want to hear a genuine I love you.”

Luhan bites back his tongue and pries Sehun off of him. 

“Please, baby?”

A scowl takes place on Luhan’s face, his expression a mix between disgust and anger. “Don’t call me that anymore. That’s what you call Seho.”

“So I can’t have two babies?”

“Gross, Sehun.” Luhan says in a pout. Sehun smirks and is quick to kiss him. He scowls and spits out nothing, an act of disgust.

“I’m sorry. Really, Luhan.” Sehun then says. “I still want you to be happy. Won’t you be able to?”

Luhan sighs. “I don’t know, Sehun.” He sadly looks at the wall. “I can try… but I can’t guarantee you anything.”

“That’s good enough for me.”

Then, another question pipes up, one that had Sehun worrying. “What did you mean earlier? When you said family.” Sehun says, his sad voice becoming a disheartening sound Luhan hates to hear.

Really, Luhan had just blurted out random things, having been angry. 

“Family... We can‘t really create one, you know?”

Sehun an eyebrow, slanted mouth dragging down.

“Honestly, I’m scared. What if in the future, you realize I can’t do anything for you. You‘re an adult, so I know you‘ve thought of having kids before. Everyone has.”

“I already have a kid.” Sehun states.

“That’s besides the point though. Even if you hadn’t met Seho, you would eventually ponder over the thought of having children,” Luhan sadly looks down, thoughts invaded with a horrible reasoning. 

“Luhan-”

“And now that Krystal is here, she’s going to influence you to want more children. Even earlier you said you could get used to it, meaning there could possibly be more instances where you could impregnate her again and leave me-”

“Lu-”

“- And even though you said you won’t cheat on me, you could be lying. You lied to me yesterday when I found out she was moving in. This is a first step, Sehun. It’s your first step of distancing yourself from me and it’s all Krystal’s fault-”

“Lu baby-”

“- I don’t want you to leave me. I don’t want us to not get married, even though your parents oppose it. I just want you and me to be happy for the rest of our lives, but that’s been ruined ever since them two jumped in the picture. Now, I feel like I’m the one in the way, always causing you problems-”

“Shut up, Luhan!”

Luhan halts his rambling.

Sehun’s finger lifts his chin up until their eyes connect in gaze meant for couples. 

“You never cause me problems.” He pecks his cheeks.

“We’re still happy.” He pecks his forehead.

“And I will never leave you.” Their lips connect.

Luhan closes his eyes in attempt to drown in Sehun’s kiss.

There’s a sigh before they disconnect. “I’m sorry for lying to you.”

Luhan nods in acknowledgement, though it wasn’t full of forgiveness. 

“I just don’t want us to be ruined.”

Sehun scoffs. “We won’t be. They’re not going to affect the love I have for you.”

Luhan smiles trying to contain the fluffiness of the words. They were cheesy, yes, but as long as Sehun was still here with him.

Sehun his cheek before patting him against the bed. “Go to bed now. We’ve got work tomorrow.”

Luhan nods as if he was an obedient child. 

“I love you.” Sehun reassures before disappearing out the door.

Luhan sleeps with a smile gracing his features that night, oblivious to the oncoming storm.