Three

When It Was Me

It’s been hours. Luhan’s energy has been totally drained. He’s gotten more than thirty missed calls, and fifty unread messages. After endless buzzing, he’s turned his phone off, ridding away his persistent fiancé. 

Sitting alone on a wooden bench, he curls into himself. He’s been in the same position for hours, non-moving and practically dead. The only sign of life being from the tears pooling on the ground, forming a puddle of water.

The sun is barely hovering over the horizon, the sky painting in splotches of orange and yellow. There are no clouds, unlike the night before, and Luhan’s sure there would be tons of stars visible this night. But like last night, the air is already starting to chill, the temperature dropping at a drastic pace. He’s got no jacket on, not even a thick shirt. 

Strangers pass by but none has the courage to approach the depressed male. A little girl had came up earlier, giving him a lollipop, but that was all. She left with a frown after seeing the dead look given to her from him, crying to her mom.

Since then, he’s been alone and cold with no social interaction. He’s aware that Sehun may be mad or worried, but it’s not like he ran away for no reason.

It’s not until small footsteps approach him does he smile. Two figures, both shorter than him, block his view of the sun. They smile with warmth and sit on either side of him, one of them giving Luhan a jacket.

“Nobody’s reached you for four hours now.” The oldest of the trio Xiumin, says. He wraps an arm around his shoulder, comforting him in a way that Sehun could never. Baekhyun frowns and clasps Luhan’s hands with his, warming them with his breath. “You’ve also got us worried we were about to call the police.”

Luhan chuckles because he knows Baekhyun would do such a thing. Luckily for him, Xiumin was the wiser of the bunch. “Yeah, well, I was there to stop him for being stupid again.” Xiumin sends a glare at Baekhyun, who whimpers away.

After laughing at Baekhyun’s idiotic move, Xiumin’s face does a 180. He frowns and pushes strands of Luhan’s bangs back. “Mind telling us why you were gone for that long?”

Luhan cowers back, hating to repeat the situation. “I’m sure Sehun’s told you guys.”

“He did, but we want to hear your thoughts about it.” 

Luhan sighs. He really didn’t mean to drag his two best friends into this mess. He opts to leave again, but being a coward isn’t the way to go. Besides, facing reality is the only way to fix this. 

So he informs Xiumin and Baekhyun of what had happened, starting from his and Krystal’s awkward first meeting, up until when the two found him. They listened intently, taking in every detail. Luhan also notices the way Xiumin often clenched his fist at times, or how Baekhyun would grit his teeth in agitation. 

He’s lucky to friends as great as them.

“How did you two even find me?” Luhan then asks, curious as to how his position has been revealed. Xiumin shrugs casually, pointing across the street to a tall building glossed in gray and glass.

“Sitting in front of my husband and Sehun’s best friend’s workplace isn’t an ideal place to hide, really. Of course, I made sure Chen contacted me first, in case you didn’t want to see Sehun.”

 Luhan gratefully hugs Xiumin. 

“So, what am I to do now?” He asks, needing good advice. He’s an open book that‘s drained, having no clue what’s supposed to happen to him or Sehun. 

Baekhyun bounces up and down, balling his right fist into his left hand. “I think you should give that , Krystal, a good beating.”

Xiumin rolls his eyes and pushes aside the smaller male. He faces the other way, turning towards Luhan, who seemed to have been contemplating the choice. “Even though Sehun did wrong with not asking you first, I think you should go back and talk it out with him. I’m sure you’re hurt, and as much as I want to punch Sehun for it, you should at least give him a chance.”

“You don’t know what you’re saying,” Baekhyun slaps Xiumin away from the distraught male. “Don’t listen to him, Luhan. You should pack your bags and move in with me!” He exclaims.

“Don’t be irrational, Baek!” Xiumin retorts. “Besides, I’m sure Chanyeol wouldn’t agree with that decision.”

Baekhyun flips his hair sassily. “He’ll agree to anything whether he likes it or not.”

Xiumin sighs at the youngest friend, wanting to slap some sense into him. “Poor Chanyeol, having to deal with someone like you for the rest of his life.” Baekhyun scowls at the comment. “Chen has it worst!”

“At least I don’t control my husband like a pet.” He bellows. Baekhyun is flabbergasted and reaches to strangle the latter, but Luhan is quick to forge the two away from one another. 

“Can you guys not fight? Especially here.” Luhan, with embarrassment, looks at their surrounding, noticing how people were gathering around to see what the bickering is all about. 

Both let out a dramatic humph and cross their arms in the same way. 

“Back to the point,” Xiumin begins, “I think Sehun is maturing. He’s upholding his mistake and taking responsibility with what he’s done. Even though he didn’t make a wise choice with letting Krystal move in, he’s still trying to give her a chance at mending back her life. It was his fault, after all, for impregnating her.”

As much as Luhan didn’t want to believe it, he understands with what Xiumin was trying to point out. Sehun did technically ruin, more like postpone since she was obviously happy with Seho, her life. She was forced to drop out of college and couldn’t even get her degree. Luhan felt a source of sympathy embedding in him. 

“So maybe you should talk with him. He’ll understand you and maybe let you have more authority and say in letting her stay.”

“I still think you should punch her.” Baekhyun adds in. Xiumin gives him a you’re-not-helping glare, but dismisses him afterwards because who could stop what Baekhyun decides?

Luhan drags out a sigh, grateful for the advice. “I think you’re right. I shouldn’t have ran away. Sehun must be worried.”

“Oh he is!” Baekhyun then says. “He’s been calling Chanyeol, and even me which doesn‘t happen often, with your whereabouts.” Xiumin nods in agreement, satisfied with Baekhyun’s non-idiotic comment.

“He even went to look for you-”

“-not doing a very good job…”

They finished each other’s sentences. Luhan smiles in amusement. Though the two sometimes act like they have many disagreements, they can be alike in so many ways.

“At least he’s worrying. If he’s not stressing over you right now, he doesn’t deserve you.” 

“I don’t know if I can live like this, though.” Luhan says. “Can I be happy? Living with Sehun’s kid and his ex?”

“Well, you’ll never know until you try.” Xiumin smoothes circles around his shoulders, calming his nerves down. “And if you ever decided you can’t stand living with them anymore, you can always tell Sehun. He’ll definitely choose you over them.”

“Really? Over his own son?”

“He’ll have to. Otherwise he’ll find himself in a hospital room.” Baekhyun smiles innocently. Luhan is thankful for the reassurance, but not thankful enough to want Sehun injured, at least physically. 

“It’s getting late,” Luhan informs. Xiumin and Baekhyun nods in agreement. “You guys should go home.”

“You as well.”

He smiles. “I will.”

All three stand up and Baekhyun leaves first, his home being the other way. He gives Luhan a smack on the cheek with his lips, patting him on the back before dashing away, letting out an encouraging yelp.

Xiumin walks Luhan two blocks, reluctant to leave Luhan alone. Luhan persuades him that he’ll be fine and there’s no need to worry. Eventually, Luhan is alone once again. By now, there’s only few people walking around. It’s barely dark and Luhan makes his way to the apartment, scared of the mess he’s left behind.

About thirty minutes later, the distance walking on foot, he arrives at the building. It towers over him and from his position of their condo, the curtains are draped, a sure sign of no one being awake. 

With nerves bundled together and heart pumping from adrenaline, he boards the elevator and presses his floor’s button, the shakiness not going amiss. A ding sounds off just as the door opens, letting him off.

He turns a corner and walks a few feet, arriving at the doorstop. 

Knowing he had forgotten his key, Luhan knocks three times. Almost immediately, a gust of wind is thrown at his face as the door swings open, a frantic Sehun revealing himself.

Just as fast, Luhan is thrown back into the apartment and held within strong arms, Sehun’s head nuzzling the mop of his hair. Luhan struggles to breath in the hold and eventually, Sehun is pried off. 

Luhan notices the empty presence of Krystal and Seho. 

It’s quiet, except for the quickened breaths coming out of both the boys. Luhan makes a step forward, just as Sehun opens his mouth. 

“Don’t leave me,” is all he says. The sound of his hurt voice has Luhan crumbling into bits of pieces. With no hesitation, Luhan throws himself back at Sehun, grabbing him for dear life. They stay like that for a few minutes, somehow maneuvering themselves onto the leather couch until they’re cuddling. Sehun breaths in Luhan’s scent, already missing his fiancé. 

“They don‘t have to stay. Just don’t leave me again.”

Luhan nods his head and drives himself into Sehun, tugging his back until they’re close for comfort. He kisses Sehun lightly on the lips, feeling the wetness of Sehun’s cheeks. He had been crying.

“I won’t do it again, Luhan. I’m sorry.”

Having his final conclusion, Luhan meets Sehun with a kiss before sitting upright. “No, I’m sorry Sehun. I didn’t mean to run like a coward. I was just so… hurt and didn’t know what to do.”

Sehun is his arm, letting the elder rant.

“I know you’re trying to do what’s best for everyone, you’re maturing and I’m proud of your decision, Sehun.” He sighs, kissing his happiness away. “So I’ve decided to let them stay. I won’t like it at first, but I can get used to it.” He can feel himself already regretting it. He knows he can never be as happy as he was again. 

Sehun smiles fondly towards him, lifting his head up until their eyes meet. “I’m so glad you’re giving them a chance, baby.”

Luhan fakes a grin, gnawing at the insides of his cheeks. “Me too.” He lies.

With a finality, Luhan leaves claiming to shower. Sehun tells him he’ll make dinner. In the shower he cries because he knows that in the future, he can never cry this much ever again. His sobs are muffled quietly, just in case Sehun hears him. He’s made a decision that could ruin his life. But he’s willing to take the risk if it meant Sehun‘s happiness.