Five

When It Was Me

“Should I make eggs?” Luhan insecurely asks while moving about in the kitchen, rummaging for any food they’ve got. They’re running low and with two extra residents, Luhan will have to make a trip to the store soon.

“I don’t mind.” Sehun says while taking a sip of his coffee. 

Luhan nods before he begins preparing their breakfast.

While the smell of eggs waft through the air, the sound of Seho’s giggles resonates from the bathroom. Luhan notices the smile Sehun adopts, feeling a slight tinge of jealousy.

Just as Luhan fixes the table, Seho’s three-year old body sprints into the kitchen. He’s giggling at nothing and continues making the air lively. Sehun cringes out of cuteness and picks the boy up, fingers tickling his tummy.

Seho whines with a smile and snuggles into his dad. He’s blabbering nonsense mixed with some coherent words.

“Mommy… is in… shower.”

“Mommy is in the shower?” Sehun repeats just to see Seho nod with pride. Sehun applauds him and kisses him on the cheek.

Luhan finishes setting the table and stands impatiently watching the father and son. He squirms in his awkward position, not knowing whether to tell them breakfast is ready or leave the two in their own world.

Eventually, after a few more minutes, Sehun casts his eyes at his fiancé and nods in acknowledgement. “Baby,” Sehun nuzzles his nose against Seho’s head, “let’s go eat breakfast, ok?”

At first, Luhan thought Sehun was talking to him. But as soon as Sehun brings Seho to the table, Luhan knew Sehun was in fact, not even giving him any attention. As childish as it is, Luhan feels that pain of hurt. He makes a brief humph sound and sits across from Sehun. Seho settles on his father’s lap, much to Luhan’s dismay.

“Should we wait for Krystal?” Luhan asks out of kindness. Really, he would have eaten a long time ago if it wasn’t for Seho and Sehun’s annoying play-scene. 

Sehun shakes his head. “She told us to eat without her. Her showers take at least forty-five minutes.”

“That long?”

Sehun chomps on his food and nods. “What do you expect? She’s a girl.”

Luhan shrugs because even he can admit that part is true.

They eat in silence and it isn’t until Sehun begins feeding Seho do things begin to drift.

Luhan watches in curiosity as Sehun spoon feeds Seho, who becomes quieter with each passing second. He finds it odd with the sudden change in demeanor, for Seho supposedly is the talkative type. 

“I don’t think he likes your eggs.” Sehun eventually voices out after the fifth failed attempt to get the boy to eat more.

Luhan rolls his eyes and plops a few into his own mouth for emphasize. “My eggs are perfectly fine. He’s probably just picky.”

“Obviously they‘re not fine if it makes even three-year old want to vomit.” Sehun chuckles jokingly, only to get kicked on the shin seconds lately. 

“You’re humor .” Luhan sticks out a tongue all too childishly to pass off as mature. Sehun shakes his head in disgrace, only to earn another kick.

With enough said, Sehun proceeds to feed Seho more but not much to his avail, he starts to whine and forcefully pushes off of Sehun. 

Struggling to hold him up properly, Sehun carries on another important subject, in which Luhan starts dreading over because babysitting is not his forte.

“Bringing Seho to the café makes it easier on everyone, Luhan. We don’t want to pay extra money for a babysitter.

“But you know I’m not good with kids.” Luhan negatively exclaims, obviously not all too thrilled with the idea of babysitting.

“You’ll do fine. Seho’s a good kid.” 

Against his own judgment, Seho wails with loud emphasizes, obviously displeased with his current state. Sehun gawks at the tantrum and attempts to settle the boy into a calm state, only to have him cry out in even higher volume.

Luhan scoffs in disbelief. “So much for being a good kid.”

A frown molds on Sehun’s face, the handsome man now shifting into an agitated boy.

“He’s not cooperating right now.” Sehun excuses, much to Luhan’s silent dismay. There’s no point in hiding the child’s devilish side away, especially with the scene unfolding before them. Luhan shakes his head disappointingly at Sehun’s failed attempt to cover up Seho‘s true facade. 

This time, Seho’s cry cuts the air like a sharp sword ready for battle. Luhan covers his precious ears but even so, the mournful fuss breaks through his thin eardrums.

“Goddamn it! Let’s lock him up.” Luhan declares, receiving horrified looks from Sehun. 

Ignoring his statement, Sehun hands Seho to Luhan, though hesitantly, and rummages through the cabinets for a non-glass cup.

When given the boy, Luhan is startled at first and shrieks along with Seho, making the cries twice as loud. Realizing screaming isn’t going to do any good, Luhan ultimately holds the boy arms length away, fearing his own future.

“Are my eggs really that bad?” Luhan sadly asks.

“He’s probably just being moody.”

Luhan scoffs. His eggs must have been horrible to make a three-year old cry. 

“Itchy!” Comes the high-pitched squeal. Seho claws his face and with each rake dragging down his delicate skin, a trail of red stains follow suite.

“Sehun! He’s hurting himself!”

Sehun panics momentarily, mind going hazy at why his boy was acting up. Though this daze soon disappears and is replaced with a determine-minded father.

Luhan watches exasperatedly as Sehun feeds Seho milk, also ridding Luhan of Seho’s body. 

Flabbergasted from Sehun’s new behavior, Luhan drowns himself in sorrow because his fiancé was changing. His skills of fatherhood is plummeting so fast time wouldn’t be able to catch up.

With thoughts focused solely on Sehun’s dramatic, ripening maturity, Luhan misses Sehun’s essential information, almost causing the latter to yell.

“Go get me a wet towel, Luhan! Something’s wrong with his skin.”

Luhan examines Seho’s face and just as Sehun assumed, there are bubbles forming all over his face. He screams and stumbles away. “I didn’t think my eggs were that bad!”

“They’re not! Now stop shouting and do as I said so I can calm the swelling.” Sehun directs. 

Luhan suddenly becomes agitated because Sehun is telling him what to do. If something irked the Chinese male the most, other than children, it was being told what to do. Sehun knows this too well, yet his orders were to follow his command.

He knows this isn’t the right time to be arguing. But with the note in mind, Luhan makes sure to bring it up later whenever the atmosphere calms. For now, he settles with getting a wet towel for the father.

“We’re going to have to skip work today. He needs to go to the doctor. Go get Krystal-”

“Get me for what?” On cue, Krystal strides in the room with elegance. Though the elegance soon vanishes whenever she spots Seho’s screaming. Krystal gasps holds Seho’s attention as she compiles by his side.

“Mommy! It hurts.”

“I’m here baby. It’s okay. You’ll be okay.” Krystal reassures and transports Seho into her own motherly hands. She kisses him on the head before heading towards the door, arms wrapped securely and protectively over the child in her arms.

“Take us to the nearest ER, Sehun. Seho’s allergic to eggs.”

Sehun’s eyes bulge out as he drags a blank Luhan out the door. All four enter Sehun’s car, him taking the driver’s spot while Luhan in the passenger seat.

“Why’s he coughing blood?!” Sehun panics when he spots blood drooling out of his mouth. Seho’s breathing quickens and small pants form a rhythmic pattern. Krystal is stunned from the new forms of symptoms and begins to shake out of fear.

Though Luhan knows he’s innocent in all this, the guilt gnawing at him proves he is the fault in this drastic event.

 

 

***

 

 

“Swelling began to form almost immediately, and bleeding out of the mouth occurred on the way here, correct?” The doctor asks as he checks his clipboard. 

Krystal and Sehun both nod.

“Looks like the allergy was too severe. He has anaphylaxis and it’s just now beginning to calm. We gave him an emergency epinephrine shot. For now, it seems he’s doing fine. But it’s protocol to keep him in for observations to be sure symptoms don’t return.”

Krystal releases a sigh. Sehun gives her a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder. “How long will you be keeping him?”

“A few hours of observation only. I suggest you get prescribed to an epinephrine auto-injector to carry with you at all times. You are the mother, correct?” Krystal nods.

The doctor then turns to Luhan and Sehun. “And which one of you is the father?”

“I am,” Sehun raises his hand. 

Though selfishly, Luhan brings his fingers to Sehun’s just to make sure the doctor knows Sehun is his and not Krystal’s. He intertwines them just as the doctor coughs awkwardly at the couple.

“Are you two a couple?”

“Yes!”

“How is that relevant, sir?”

Luhan doesn’t hesitate to affirm with a proud yes. In Sehun’s case, he’s only worried why their relationship is important to the doctor. Luhan feels a tad bit hurt.

“I just want to know who’s going to be around Seho the most. If he’s living with his father, then I suggest you two to also get epinephrine injectors as well.” 

“We’re all living together, so that’ll be great.” Sehun smiles reassuringly. 

The doctor is startled for a moment. Luhan tries to ignore the look they all get because of their odd relationships. Nonetheless, he proceeds to write the three adults a prescription for Seho.