Chapter 8

Worth the Risk
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Three weeks later, Eunseo kissed her parents goodbye and watched them wrestle their luggage out to the waiting taxi. They were heading off to Barcelona for two weeks of sightseeing, eating and "reconnecting," as her mother so discreetly put it. And even though the thought of two weeks on her own was daunting, Eunseo was determined to survive it.

And today she was determined to do something else, too. Something she'd been debating with herself on and off for several days.

She dressed with care as she prepared for her trip to the coffee shop, spending more time than usual brushing her hair and arranging it so that it covered the right side of her face. She tugged the wristband of her sweater down over her fingers and checked to make sure that her turtleneck covered everything essential. Then she grabbed her bag and keys and left the house.

The weather was getting warmer, and she could feel the prickle of sweat beneath her armpits as she walked. Or maybe that was just nerves. Too soon the coffee shop loomed in the distance. Taking a deep breath, she walked the final few feet.

Her gaze found Minseok instantly the moment she entered. He was seated at one of the three tables he favoured, depending on how busy the shop was. Her gaze shifted to her own table. It was empty, waiting for her. It would be so easy to walk to it and sit down and continue the odd yet somehow comfortable routine she and Minseok had developed.

Eunseo pressed a hand to her belly, wishing she could calm the nerves there with a simple touch. Then she walked toward Minseok's table.

She kept her gaze focused on the chair she was aiming for, jerking it out and sitting gracelessly. Only then did she lift her head to look at the man seated across from her.

He must have been surprised. She hadn't flagged her intention in any of her emails. Sure, over the past few weeks they'd progressed from sitting separately in the same café to the occasional moment of eye contact and—twice—an exchange of smiles, but none of that was even close to what she'd done today.

He didn't look surprised, though. He simply smiled, then turned and signalled to Myungsoo.

"Eunseo's ready for her muffin," he called. Then he pushed the paper toward her. "Ahjumma's on fire today. Ripping a father a new one for the way he treats his stepkids."

She wasn't sure what she'd expected. Something. But he'd made what she'd done seem so normal. So expected. So welcome.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter