Chapter 7

Worth the Risk
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Will you be at the coffee shop tomorrow?

Eunseo's belly tensed as she stared at the final line of Minseok's most recent email. Her first impulse was to quit her email program and shut down her computer and walk away from the small moment of madness that had led to their flurry of exchanges.

There was no point to it, after all. No matter how entertaining he was, she was like Humpty Dumpty—the surgeons had done their best, but all the King's horses and all the King's men wouldn't be enough to make her whole again. She could kid herself with a few fun emails, but one of the arms stretched out to her keyboard was wrapped in pressure bandages and her face was compressed beneath her mask and her hands ached from her morning massage. She was a fractured person. Incomplete.

Her hand reached for the mouse, but she didn't do more than curve her hand over the smooth plastic. After a long moment, she slid her fingers onto the keyboard again.

She typed one word, then hit send.

Why?

Minseok's breath hissed out between his teeth as he read Eunseo's reply. For a moment he didn't know what to write. And then he did.

Because I'd like to know you.

Just in case you're wondering, the scars are bad. And I'm not sixteen anymore. I have cellulite and stretch marks. So, at the risk of repeating myself—why?

Is physical beauty the only value you place on yourself?

It's the value the world places on me. Or I should say placed. Those days are long gone—no one is interested in me anymore.

I am not the world. I am one person. And I'm interested.

Because you once had a crush on me? That girl no longer exists.

Because you're funny and brave. Because you're a survivor. Because you love Dear Ahjumma as much as I do. Because I feel for you. Want more?

I don't want your pity.

Good, because you don't have it. Don't you believe in friends anymore?

I have friends.

Couldn't we be friends?

Men never want to be just friends.

This man does.

There was a day's silence between emails after that. Minseok broke his one-hour rule half a dozen times before turning his computer off and forcing himself to concentrate on work. He finished the magical forest and made a start on the field of dreams.

Finally, after a day of constantly monitoring his urges, he gave in and turned his computer back on. His shoulders relaxed as he saw the email from Eunseo. He wasn't sure when he'd become so invested in their…whatever it was, but for good or for ill, he was fully engaged now. He opened the message.

I don't know that I'm a good prospect for friendship. I'm anxious, tearful, scared. I almost never leave the house. Not exactly good company. But if you are willing to try…I guess I am, too.

Did you see Desperate Housewives last night? Couldn't believe he was having an affair again. She needs to kick him to the curb.

Eunseo read the email twice, wondering if M

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter