Third Stop: Part 4

Locomotion

In the moment that Hyora stepped out of the library, the girl with the missing memories was temporarily detached from her mind.

Instead of going forward in time, this time she had gone backward. Based on the cues she had picked up, she estimated that it was almost four months since the queen’s death, a few months before the point where she had left off with Jaesun.

It was weird, occupying the mind of the girl who was Hoya’s twin when just a short while ago she had been living the life of the girl who was in love with him. She was glad Jaesun’s feelings hadn’t carried over and clung to her, otherwise it would have been more than a bit awkward.

Although there were some less than positive emotions associated with this Kim Myungsoo person in Hyora’s mind, the girl with missing memories hadn’t seen a face surface in her thoughts. It made her wonder if Hyora had ever even met the boy. But she would find out soon enough, and in the next second she was back to going along for the ride in Hyora’s mind.

Hyora marched up to her brother’s room and knocked. “Come in.”

She opened the door and stepped inside. Hoya was sitting on his bed reading a book, his brow furrowed.

“What’s that?” she asked, gesturing at the book.

“This?”

Turning her head, she read the title on the spine: “On the Conduct of Royalty. Why are you reading that? Don’t tell me you have ambitions of becoming king?” Although she was joking on the surface, she really had to question it. She had been away from her brother for almost a year now, and there was no telling what time could do to change people.

“No. It’s something Father suggested for me to read. This is part of why I wanted to talk to you.”

“Talk away.” She plopped herself onto his bed.

“Well, I’m assuming Father has told you what he’s been doing and what he wants from you.”

“Yes, he has.” With a glance at the door, she mouthed, “You did spell this room, right?” Her twin nodded, so she continued reassured that no one was listening and reporting their words to the council.

“I’m supposed to be his spy at court. What part do you have in this?”

“I’m acting as his second-in-command.”

“What!” She gawked. “But you’re only twenty!”

“The king was younger when he took the throne,” Hoya pointed out.

“But still.”

“Father thinks it will be good experience for me, managing all of this.”

“Experience for what?”

“For the future, when I become the Duke. Or in the case that I become King.”

Hyora shot a look at him. “You don’t really think you’re going to become King, do you?”

Her brother merely shrugged. “Father said to be prepared for the possibility. Assuming this succeeds, the King may either get killed in the process—we’d rather that not happen, of course—or he may be too emotionally and mentally unsound to continue ruling. In which case I’m next in line.”

“I sincerely hope that day doesn’t come.” She tried to imagine her twin ruling over the entire kingdom and couldn’t.

“Same. What are your thoughts on recruiting people?”

After a moment spent brainstorming, Hyora replied, “Well, we start at the Royal Academy, I suppose. Earn people’s trust, test their trustworthiness, and fill in the blanks for them. As far as I know, most everyone likes the king, and some of them have probably even met him. We just have to be careful about those who have some sort of ties to the council. Do we have a list of names?”

“Father gave me a list of the council members who are part of the coalition that has taken control and who they’re friendly with. That will give us somewhere to start in terms of who to avoid.”

“Or, in my case, who to get information out of.”

“Right.”

They went over the list together and started making notes and then created a list for who they thought would be most willing to side with them.

***

The next day Hyora began to fret about what she was supposed to wear to the meeting with Kim Myungsoo. She had been away from home for so long that she knew nothing about the current fashions aside from the things the nobles in Hwasung had mentioned over small talk.

She wasn’t overly concerned with fashion, but the last thing she wanted to do was look like a fool in front of that boy.

As it turned out, her mother had long been prepared for this. She had commissioned a last-minute dress from measurements acquired from Gayoo. “Milady will have something suitable to wear, so worry not,” her maid informed her.

“I suppose I’ll have to thank Mother,” Hyora muttered. Already she could imagine her mother’s smug look at being a step ahead in her grand scheme.

“Milady, why are you so opposed to this fiancé of yours?”

“Oh, you obviously haven’t heard anything about him, then. First of all, he’s actually younger than me by almost a year.”

“Really? What is Her Grace thinking marrying off to someone younger than you?”

“His family has great influence. It’s maybe third after ours. Of course she wouldn’t let me marry anyone of a lesser importance.” She grimaced to show her opinion of that idea.

“Well, even if he is younger than you, that doesn’t seem like a reason for you to hate him, milady.”

Hyora sighed. “He has a reputation, you see.”

At this, Gayoo lifted a brow.

“Not like that. It’s not even a bad reputation, per se.”

“Then what is it?”

“Well, you see, just about every girl of my age and status is madly in love with him.”

“Ah. And why is that?”

“His good looks,” she said, waving her hand derisively. “Can you believe it? I hear that he virtually doesn’t say a word, but that apparently doesn’t matter. If he so much glances in a girl’s general direction, she goes insane. How pathetic is that?”

“So you haven’t met him.”

Hyora shook her head. “Thank goodness.”

“Then are you sure you won’t fall prey to his spell, milady?”

“Highly unlikely, Gayoo. You know me. I don’t even fall for the men who have looks and charm, let alone someone who only has looks.”

“You never know.”

“Don’t worry, I am not falling for some ice prince. And why do you talk about him as if he is a demon or incubus or something? ‘Spell’?”

“Just a casual choice of words, milady. I wasn’t implying anything.”

“Well, tomorrow we shall see just how he is.”

“Then you don’t really hate him, milady?”

Hyora sighed. “No, but I don’t foresee enjoying his company either.”

“I think you should give him a chance first.”

“Of course, of course. I just won’t be disappointed if he’s what I expect him to be.”