Second Stop: Part 5

Locomotion

The meeting was located in a back room of a tavern. The tavern owner himself was in attendance, guarding the door. It was obvious to Jaesun that this was no ordinary social gathering.

“This meeting is not for those of wavering hearts or weak resolve,” the tavern owner said. “There are lives at stake. If you want no part of this, leave now.”

Jaesun didn’t really know what it was about, but she wasn’t about to leave. Nobody else made any movement to get up either.

“Very well. From this point forward, all of us gathered here will trust one another with our lives. Any coward who rats out will not get away unharmed.” He cleared his throat. “We’re meeting to talk about a very serious issue in this kingdom. As everyone knows, we have been in a period of decline since the queen’s death. It hasn’t been clear exactly why this is until more recently.”

“What’s the reason?” Jaesun asked, speaking out.

“The king is no longer really in power. With the queen’s death, his control over the kingdom weakened as a result of his grief. In the past few months, his advisors have been slowly taking the reins. That explains the increase in taxes. They have been lining their pockets with our money.”

A few people began to mutter angrily, until the tavern keeper called for silence.

“So what relevance is there between this meeting and that matter? Well, some have decided to take things into their own hands.”

“Conspiracy,” Dongwoo said, frowning.

“It’s rebellion, yes, but it’s rebellion against the council of advisors. In the immediate plans, anyway. The idea is to get rid of the source of the corruption. If the king can be made to return to his senses and resume his rule as prior, then that is what we will do. If not, we will find another ruler.”

He gave everyone a moment to consider his words.

“Why should we believe you?” someone asked, skeptical.

“Because I have this from a trustworthy source,” the tavern owner replied, crossing his arms.

“And who might that be?”

“Me.”

Everyone turned to look at the back corner of the room. A tall figure stood leaning against the wall, his large eyes glittering in the firelight. The girl with the missing memories recognized him right away. “I’m Lee Sungyeol. I have connections in higher places that have provided me with information.”

Jaesun saw that the boy was about Dongwoo’s age, dressed quite well, almost like a noble. Judging by his speech, he was educated, but there was something about it that hinted at humbler origins.

“I grew up in a village almost four days’ journey away from the capital, and because of the agreement the king made for the wedding, I got sent to the Royal Academy.”

That explained something for people, and they nodded their heads.

“There, I met some nobles who will remain unnamed, and they are part of the core of this conspiracy. They charged me with recruiting all of you to this cause.”

“How do we know they won’t simply seize power themselves the moment the council is gone?” Jaesun asked. She would hardly trust a noble as far as she could throw one. Her father had had some contact with a few in the past, and the prices they’d suggested had been insultingly low. They had so much money yet were so stingy.

“I trust them with my life,” Sungyeol stated firmly. “They are not looking for their own benefit any more than we are—meaning they want this kingdom back on a good and stable path rather than on a downward spiral. There are questions of trust no matter which way you look, but sometimes you simply need to have faith. Because otherwise there is no hope.”

This seemed to satisfy everyone present for the time being, as no one else heckled him further.

“So what are we supposed to do? We’re just a bunch of common folk,” said the man sitting next to Dongwoo.

“You’re the eyes and ears of the conspiracy. Basically, everyone here will use their wits and resources to gather any information you can on the members of the council. If you can find evidence of their wrongdoings, great. Report that to me. If not, figure out a pattern in their comings and goings. We want to capture and arrest them for treason against the Crown.”

It was a rather bold plan. Perhaps even insane. If they were caught, they’d be the ones arrested for treason, and then there would be nothing left but certain doom.

“So basically we’re going to be spies,” said Dongwoo, looking thoughtful.

“Precisely. And this will require some training. Most of you probably are not adept in stealth operations. Any slipups can cost you your freedom or your life, so it’s best to go into this well-prepared. We will begin teaching you what you need to learn next time. For now, you can go home.”

“It’s not too late to back out,” the tavern keeper said. “But if you do, we will be watching you.” He opened the door, and everyone began to file out.

***

“Someone could have been listening in on the meeting,” Jaesun muttered to Dongwoo as they exited the tavern. “We could be dead before we even begin to do anything.”

“Nobody heard besides those in the room,” said someone from behind them. They turned to see Sungyeol walking to catch up with them. It didn’t take long since his legs were so long.

“I didn’t realize that you wanted me involved in something like that,” Dongwoo said in a low voice, his tone accusatory.

“I don’t think I could have gotten you to go if you knew beforehand,” Sungyeol replied.

Jaesun stepped in before it escalated into something ugly. “Wait, you two know each other?”

“Yes,” said Dongwoo. “He’s the friend who invited me.”

“We met several months ago when he was working here in the capital,” the tall boy explained. “Then we met again two weeks ago and reconnected.”

“What makes you think I’d make a good spy?” Dongwoo demanded. “My merchant blood is thick. I buy and sell goods, not information.”

“Actually, you would make a perfect spy,” said Sungyeol. “You talk to all sorts of people in your dealings, and no one would ever suspect you of anything since you seem so clueless.”

“Hey, now.”

“But you’re not clueless, and that’s the point.”

Dongwoo sighed. “Fine, I’ll do it. Only because I want the best for this kingdom.”

“That’s the spirit,” Sungyeol said cheerily.

“You sure know how to manipulate people,” Jaesun remarked.

“I wasn’t always like this,” he answered. “But times have changed, and they changed me with them, and here I am now. I have regrets, but they aren’t enough to hold me back from doing what’s right. See you two around.” He veered off in another direction, disappearing into the night.

Even so, his last words continued to resonate with Jaesun even after he was long gone.