Cracks.

Dad, Pluck Up Courage! [HIATUS]

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rain started to fall against the window, blurring the vies outside. He felt more and more held being captive. He needed company, didn't matter who. Even the annoying male nurse would do. As long as he wasn't alone, alone with his thoughts. He would go crazy, he knew. Crazy and vulnerable, leaving an opening for his wife to attack him. He wouldn't give in. Not in a hundred years. With that mindset he waited.

After a while, he heard a commotion outside. Loud voices echoed through the floor and his blood froze in his veins as soon as he recognized his wife. He stood up when the door opened and revealed his family with pale faces standing in the door frame. “Siwon,” his wife said quietly, disgustingly. In the next moment he felt a sharp pain on his right cheek. Surprised, he touched the slowly reddening skin. Stella had hit him. “You monster! How could you do that to Younha?” she screamed. Their remaining daughter flinched. A nurse came and blocked her vision. She put her hands on the girl's ears. She shouldn't see and listen to her parents shouting. “My poor daughter. She didn't do anything. She had a whole life to live, and you? You destroyed it! Why are you alive? Why can't it be you who lies lifeless in that cold room?! Why her, not you?” There were no tears in his wife's eyes but with the force she hit him it was clear to him how much she resented him. “I should have divorced you long ago,” she mumbled. “I should have. Then, this mess hadn't had happened.” Her gaze wandered around before settling on him again. “Why couldn't you just drive her to her friend? Was it so hard to do? To give a few minutes for your daughter?”

Her husband gritted his teeth. “Don't joke with me,” he growled. “Drive her? A few minutes? If it was so easy why haven't you brought her to that damn place?! You're selfish, Stella! Does it give you satisfaction to put the whole blame on me?” Angry as he was he didn't bother to tone down his voice. People started to gather around the room, the loud and angry voices awaken their curiosity.

I'm not the only one at fault. You and your damn ambition drifted us apart! If you hadn't thought only of you we wouldn't be in this situation at all!”

Ah, now I'm to blame?” Stella laughed humourlessly. “You've got to be kidding me! You know very well it was you who started this mess. How many times did I warn you about that ty secretary of yours? But did you believe me even once? No, too busy shoving your in her !” Silence. Sporadic gasps were heard. Siwon felt heat raise in his cheeks. He wanted to give her a piece of his mind when a desperate cry stopped him and made him look at his daughter. “Enough!” she cried. “Stop arguing. It won't solve a thing.” Her eyes were filled with tears and she hold on the nurse beside her tightly. “Big sis … i-isn't coming b-back … with you accusing e-each other,” she continued, hiccups interjecting her sentence.

Jess, darling,” the mother whispered and went to her, arms circling around the young girl. “I'm sorry, dear,” she apologized. “I didn't meant to make you upset. I'm sorry. You're right. We should be strong for now.” At that moment her phone ringed. Without thinking she accepted the caller. “Hello? … Ah, Yonghwa. Yes, I'll be there ...Yes, of course ...No, everything is alright. Just mere familiar circumstances... See you then, bye.” She shut her phone only to be greeted by a snort and a hard shove. She stumbled back. Her remaining daughter glared at her, fury and disappointment shown on her face. “'We'?” she repeated quietly, tears falling down. “What does we mean to you, mom? Going to work and act as if nothing happened? Younha died!” she screamed, shaking uncontrollably. “She ing died!” Her parents flinched when they heard their little princess swearing. She never did that before. “And you're going to work? She's your daughter, or not? How can you call her a mere circumstance?” Jessica broke down, sobbing loudly. The nurse tried to help her stand up. “Come with me, miss,” she whispered but the girl ignored her. “I hate you!” she shouted at her mother. “I hate you! You're not a mother! A mother would never put work before family!”

Jessica...” her father stepped in, voice warning. The love he felt for his wife might had faded but he won't allow their daughter to insult her. Leave the past months aside, she did a great job in raising the children and he knew Jessica would regret her words as soon as she calmed down. He wanted to spare her unnecessary pain.

No,” she turned to him. “I don't wanna hear your voice. Younha's death. Why? Because you thought making sure she gets to her friend's place safely war a waste of time?” Their youngest daughter shook her head, arms clasped around her upper body. “Dad, you killed her!” she cried. “My only sister, the only one who protected me. What am I supposed to do without her?” Sobs filled the air. With a dark look at the adults the nurse took the crying child and left the room.

Siwon felt bad. Not only did he loss his first daughter, now he made his second child cry. What a horrible father he was. He needed someone to talk to. He needed to be home, in his study at the window. He needed the feeling of tickling leaves on his hands.

Siwon, we should put our disagreements aside for now and think about future plans,” his wife broke the silence. She didn't meet his gaze. “Society will tear us apart if we show any weaknesses. Think about Jessica and the pressure she'll has to endure.”

Short laughter. “You're so funny, Stella,” her husband joked. Sarcasm dripped from every word he spoke. Without further explaining he headed for the door. He couldn't stand to be in the same room with his wife. Not when the only thoughts she had where about the image their family had to protect. The air was suffocating. His hands went to his throat. He needed to breath.

Walking in a fast pace he ignored the calling of his name or the running steps behind him. All he could think was escape. The door to freedom was near, so near he only had to stretch out his arm to push it open when someone grabbed him from behind and spun him around.

Doctor...”

Finally reacting?” the other asked. “I chased you down the whole floor. I made a fool of myself. Are you deaf?” The anger in his voice and on his face was clearly shown. “The next time have the grace to stop before we're reaching the exit.” Siwon opened his mouth to speak but was cut off. “Don't say anything. I have something to show you. I guess it'll be a surprise. For me, it was for sure. Well, miracles happen all the time. Follow me.”

The doctor's words confused Siwon. But the other's tone indicated that he didn't allow any resistance. A sigh escaped his lips. Where the hell was he dragged to now?