KaiSoo - Christmas Eve

--thepeculiarone's Drabbles

Date posted: 12.25.17
Length: 880 words
Prompt: au where kyungsoo has no choice but to work on christmas eve until only ten minutes before twelve, a good looking man enters the empty convenience store, not expecting that the man would accompany him for the night as both of them are lonely in life. friendship blooms.

Credit: @kaisooprompts


“. . . thirteen, fourteen, fifteen. Fifteen packs of Jin ramyeon.” Do Kyungsoo places a check mark on his notepad beside the item. Although it has been his second time rechecking the catalogue of the convenience store, he has not gone bored. He decides it’s better than sitting behind the counter and waiting.

Today is Christmas Eve, and his co-worker, Baekhyun, has taken the night off as he spends his evening with his family. Kyungsoo, on the other hand, doesn’t have anyone to spend it with. His family lives in Jeju, and flying back to his hometown would cost a fortune. He would rather be alone than spend his parents’ hard-earned money in the field for his college. Plus, it’s not so bad to be paid for doing nothing (except he likes doing things to distract himself from the ticking of the clock). No one has entered the store since his shift began and it’s already 11:30 PM. 20 more minutes and he can go back to his apartment and be asleep.

“ . . . three, four, five. Five bottles of Bacchus?” Kyungsoo tilts his head to the side and furrows his brow. “I’m pretty sure there were eight a while ago.”

Kyungsoo looks behind to check if someone has entered the store. But everything is so silent except for the ticking of the clock and the repeated tapping of something. He can’t quite put his finger around what it is. Suddenly, the tiny hair on his arms stand and his heart pounds as fast as it can.

Kyungsoo takes light steps to check around. On the far corner, by the plugging station, sits a man with silver hair and pink sweater. Kyungsoo carefully approaches him and taps his shoulder.

“E-Excuse me, sir, but you have to p-pay for the items first before c-consuming them.” Kyungsoo stutters.

The man faces him and Kyungsoo lets out a scream, "Z-Zombie!" The man’s face is lifeless and his eyes are surrounded by dark circles.

“Geez, relax.” The man exclaims. “I know I look right now but that's because I haven't slept for three days straight. Seriously, a zombie? Where can you even find a zombie in pink sweater?”

Kyungsoo comes back to his senses. “I’m very sorry, sir, it must have been the silence that has driven me insane.” He bows repeatedly to the customer.

“It's fine, really. I was about to pay for the energy drinks, but you looked serious counting those ramyeon, so I just took them. Here, I believe they’re 6,000 won?”

“Yes, thank you.” Kyungsoo accepted the payment.

“Uhh, I have to pass something by 11:59 PM so I could really use some peace and quiet.” The man murmurs, "Damn those teenagers for being noisy in the coffee shop."

“But the store closes at 11:50 PM, sir.”

“What?! !” The man turns back to his laptop and proceeds typing words on his document.

Kyungsoo walks to the fridge again and takes out a bottle of Bacchus. He punches it three times in the counter. It’s 6,000 won.

Kyungsoo settles on the chair and looks at the man’s back. He thinks it’s very depressing for someone to work on something on a holiday. Quite ironic, actually, because he is working himself.

*   *   *

“Sir, it’s already 11:50 PM. I’m afraid you have to pack up.” Kyungsoo has arranged everything in the store. The only things to do are turning the lights off and locking the door.

“Can't I have 9 more minutes? I only have seven—no—ten sentences to write. I promise I’ll leave after I’m done. Please, please?” The man begs without his eyes leaving his laptop.

“Sure, but you have to treat me to something delicious.” Kyungsoo chuckles, intending it as a joke. He really misses his mother’s cooking and the feast on Christmas Eve.

But the man takes it seriously and agrees, “Right. Chimaek’s on me.”

*   *   *

“ yeah!” The man stretches his arms high and plops himself down the chair. “Finally done with the semester.”

“Your semester has just ended, sir?” Kyungsoo gasps in disbelief. Who in the right mind ends a semester on December 24?

“Enough with the ‘sir.’ Call me Jongin.” Jongin spins his chair around. “And thanks for letting me stay a few more minutes. I really appreciate it.” He smiles warmly at Kyungsoo. “You know," he pauses. "I could reaaaalllllly hug you right now.” His smile turns into a playful grin as he runs towards Kyungsoo and wraps his arms around his shoulders, swaying him from left to right, like a child embracing his long-lost friend. 

Kyungsoo struggles from Jongin’s tight hug. “I-I can’t breathe.”

“Oops, sorry.” Jongin laughs and releases him. “So chimaek?”

“No, it was just a—“

“Come on, it’s my treat. Unless you have other plans to spend Christmas.”

Kyungsoo pauses for a moment. “No, I don’t.” He smiles back at Jongin.

*   *   *

In South Korea, one only drinks with someone they are friends with. And maybe Jongin has become a friend to Kyungsoo because they are chugging their beer and stuffing their mouths with chicken. From time to time, Kyungsoo’s eyes turn into crescents whenever Jongin says something stupid—like his five-year-old niece lifting weights. This would then be followed with Jongin’s high-pitched laugh as he hits Kyungsoo's arm. Indeed, Christmas is the season to be jolly.