Sand between my toes

Three bridges and a traffic light home

 

Sungyeol is back at the beach park with his friends, a different area from the one he visited previously. The area is chosen for one reason, it having a small stretch of white sandy beach. He glares at his friends who are supposed to be helping him. Instead, all of them are busy with their own enjoyment. Two of them are playing soccer, another has zoomed away on his skateboard and the last two have wondered off to take pictures. It’s just him sitting on the beach, looking at his messy drawing which is the blueprint for his soon to be built sand castle. He sticks out his tongue at his friends, not that any of them will notice, it's more for the sake of venting his displeasure.

 

 

Fine! I don’t need any of you! I can build this by myself. You are all going to ogle at my masterpiece later!

 

 

He starts piling the main ingredient into his assortment of pails. With some help from Google and YouTube, Sungyeol thinks he has an idea what’s the correct proportion of sand and water to make a good base. He just never expects it’s going to be so tiring to run repeatedly to the sea and bring back water for his mix. After losing count on the number of rounds he made, he finally sees the base manifesting before him. He pause to take a breather, hand stretching behind to locate his drawing, only to find it missing. He frantically glances around, finally spotting the piece of paper being blown towards the wooden platform. Sungyeol springs up and give chase; he can’t lose his drawing, which contains all his wonderful ideas.

 

 

Leaping up onto the wooden bridge, no problem thanks to his long legs, grabs his flying paper triumphantly. His happiness is short-lived though, as Sungyeol crashes into the person who happens to be walking along the bridge. Groans can be heard from both the males as they fall onto the ground.

 

 

Hey! Watch where you are going!

 

 

Sungyeol brushes his back as he stands up, ready to refute the spoken male. The other guy should be the one to look where he was walking.

 

 

You are the one … hi, Sunggyu right? 

 

 

His hostile tone stops in mid-sentence once Sungyeol sees the guy on the ground is actually Sunggyu, the one who has helped him with his kite. He quickly extends his hand and helps the other up from the ground.  

 

 

Sorry. Are you hurt anywhere? I was going after my paper and honestly didn’t see you.

 

 

Sungyeol smile sheepishly as he waves the paper in his hand, hoping that other is not angry with him. Sunggyu returns his smile while looking questioningly at their surroundings.

 

 

It’s okay, I’m not hurt. But seriously, where did you come from? You just appear out of nowhere. I’m quite certain the path was empty.

 

 

Sungyeol points to the sandy lower ground and announces smugly.

 

 

I jumped up from there!

 

 

Sunggyu looks down at the area, amazed. The height is out of his realm but for someone with long legs like the guy standing before him, he guesses that make it possible. Still, he thinks it’s a pretty dangerous stunt, especially since Sungyeol didn’t check out the surroundings before he makes the jump. He wonders what’s on the very important piece of paper.

 

 

Is that paper very important?

 

 

Sungyeol nods enthusiastically, pulling Sunggyu to sit with him on the bridge with their legs dangling out above the sand. He lets Sunggyu holds onto the drawing and begins to illustrate in details of the masterpiece he’s going to build. Sunggyu glances at the drawing, matching it to the make belief stuffs Sungyeol is gesturing with his hands. After a while, Sunggyu gives up looking at the drawing and focuses his attention solely on the guy speaking animatedly. He has never met anyone who is so easily excited over small little things. Sungyeol ends his explanation with a flourishing wave.

 

 

Isn’t it great?

 

 

Sungyeol looks at his new friend who is nodding at his question while smiling at him. Sunggyu’s eyes have completely disappeared into slits of crescents which Sungyeol thinks it’s absolutely adorable. He puts his request to Sunggyu tentatively.

 

 

Do you want to help me with my sand castle? My friends have all deserted me. Never mind, you are probably busy. It’s okay if you need to leave.

 

 

Sunggyu ponders for a tiny bit. He is not dressed for the occasion with skin tight jeans and covered shoes but one look at Sungyeol pouting face is all he needs to make up his mind. He bends down, removing his shoes before rolling up his jeans the best he can. He turns to Sungyeol, who’s now looking at him with a grinning expression, his whole being bustling with excitement.

 

 

I don’t have to be anywhere else. Let’s build your dream castle.

 


 

Yeah!!! I have 10 subscribers for the story :) Considering the limited views, I'm really happy. Million thanks for the support!