Water around my body

Three bridges and a traffic light home

 

Sunggyu wonders what in the world makes him agreed to this idea as he sits at the end of the wooden jetty bridge. It’s eight in the morning plus it’s a Saturday. Usually at this time, he should be sleeping soundly in his warm bed under the cover of his fluffy blanket and only wakes up around noon. He actually can sleep on for the whole day but his dear mother has always refused to let him indulge in his favourite pastime. So why is he here again? He questions himself as he stifles a yawn and rub his sleepy eyes. Oh right, because Sungyeol says he wants to try surfing and has arranged for this early meet up.

 

 

They have exchanged numbers the previous time when Sunggyu helped the younger built a sand castle. It wasn’t that successful and the sand castle was far from what Sungyeol had imagined in his mind, they still had an enjoyable time. After spending hours over the project, they had sat down watching the sunset while the tide came in and slowly flatten their hard work. Amidst their conversation, Sunggyu learnt that Sungyeol is younger by two years and has recently moved into the neighbourhood. The younger had happily addressed him as hyung and asked for his number so that they can keep in contact. And true to his words, Sungyeol has been texting him and they often have random fingers chats.

 

 

Thinking back, Sunggyu feels it was really unwise of him to agree to Sungyeol’s request since he couldn’t swim. He has managed to reject the younger once over text but when Sungyeol had made a video call to plead his case, he succumbed to the cute pouting face once again. Sunggyu knew he’s in serious trouble once he hung up the phone. Not only has he agreed to go near water, he discovered he has zero immunity to Sungyeol’s childish but cute behaviour. Speaking of which, Sunggyu checks his watch, it’s already fifteen minutes passed the agreed time but the younger is nowhere in sight. Sunggyu stands and stretches his body, rubbing his absentmindedly, relieving the pressure from sitting on the hard platform.

 

 

Surprise!!!

 

 

Ah! … I can’t swim!

 

 

That’s the last thing Sungyeol hears before Sunggyu falls into the water. He stares blankly at his hands, the ones that have nudge the older male. He swears he didn’t put much strength when he ran up to surprise Sunggyu, but it’s an undeniable fact that the older is in water. Wait … did Sunggyu say he can’t swim?

 

 

Hyung! Hold on! I’m coming to save you!

 

 

The second splash is equally as loud as the first one on this quiet Saturday morning as Sungyeol jumps into the water. But he realizes something is not right as soon as his feet touch the bottom of the sea way sooner than expected. He straightens up from his half squatted landing position and the water doesn’t even reach his waist. Sungyeol looks over at the older who has now stand up but totally drenched from head to toe.

 

 

Sunggyu, unlike the younger, has fallen without warning and his whole body has gone underwater. Luckily, he did realize the water isn’t deep after falling or else he would have panic and shouted for help. He shudders at thought of total embarrassment if he had done that. Having escaped from drowning and embarrassing himself, his thoughts are now only on strangling the guy who is behind his misfortune. To his surprise, Sunggyu discovers his target is just a short distant away from him rather than laughing his head off on the bridge.

 

 

Why are you in water also?

 

 

I jumped down to save you. But … but the water is so shallow! You should have tell me you can’t swim! Why did you even agree to come with me to try surfing when you can’t swim? I can always get my other friends!

 

 

Then why didn’t you get your other friends?

 

 

Because I want to spend time with you!

 

 

Same here!

 

 

An awkward silence follows after the unintentional revelation as they try not to blush at each other’s words unsuccessfully. Tints of red creep up on both the faces as their eyes look sheepishly elsewhere, suddenly finding interest in the white clouds and clear water.

 

 

Ahem … we should probably go up. My things are on the bridge.

 

 

Sunggyu glances at the younger and sees Sungyeol nodding to his suggestion. They slowly waddle their way back to the shore and walk along the jetty to where their belongings are. Beside an extra bag next to his own, Sunggyu sees two iced drinks, an americano and a mocha latte also. The younger picks up the drinks and offers the latte to the older.

 

 

I didn’t mean to push you into the water. I’m really sorry. Have a drink and don’t be angry with me please?

 

 

The older looks at Sungyeol and sighs. He still has the urge to strangle the younger but it’s vanishing faster than the wind, being no match to a pair of pleading eyes that is staring at him this very moment. Sunggyu accepts the drink.

 

 

I have expected to get wet when I agreed to come, just never imagine that it will be this wet.

 

 

Sungyeol continues to look at him sadly. Sunggyu sighs the second time.

 

 

Okay, okay, I’m not angry with you. But promise you will never do it again.

 

 

The younger fervently nods his head, his expression brightens considerately though only for a few seconds before he face changes to a serious one. Sungyeol starts gulping down his americano, motioning Sunggyu to follow suit.

 

 

Hyung, quickly drink up. We have important thing to do.

 

 

Both of them grab their bags and head in to shore, Sunggyu trying to catch up with the younger’s long strides.    

 

 

Sungyeol seems to be in a hurry. The older brings up his concern.

 

 

Hey, the tide seems to be very low now. I don’t think it’s a good time to surf.

 

 

Sungyeol dumps his bag on the grass patch as they reach shore and does the same for Sunggyu’s. He grabs the older and head towards the water.

 

 

Surfing is not important. I need to teach you how to swim. You could have drown just now!

 

 

Wait, I don’t think that’s a good idea. I don’t need to know. I have water allergy! Really, I can’t go into the water. No, no … stop pulling me! You are not a qualify instructor. You can’t teach me. I will get one myself the next time. Seriously, I’m not bluffing you. Let go, let go of my hand!

 

 

The sounds of Sunggyu pleading drift off as he’s being pulled further away from shore. The beach park once again regains its original peace and quiet on an early Saturday morning.

 


 

Sorry it took so long for this chapter to be up. I'm really busy for the past month.  

Leave me lots of comments and thanks for reading and subscribing :)

Congrats to Gyu for winning first place!!! I'm so so happy ^.^