Love in my heart

Three bridges and a traffic light home

 

They walk leisurely side by side towards their home direction. Sunggyu notices the younger is too quiet and seems to be mulling over his thoughts. They soon reach the kite flying field where they first met. He glances up at the kites on the bridge and the younger follow suit.

 

Yeollie, is something bothering you? You know you can always share it with me.

 

Ah … I need to thank my kite.

 

Sungyeol sees the older looking at him puzzlingly.

 

If not, I would have never met you. I’m very glad that we become friends since we get along so well. 

 

Sunggyu nods his head as he waits for the younger to continue.

 

What I mean is that I lik …

 

Oppa, oppa!

 

Sungyeol can’t believe his luck. Why now of all time? He looks at the girl who has interrupted his confession. She is oblivious to the situation and is only interested in getting his attention.

 

Oppa, please help me get my kite. It’s stuck up there in the tree.

 

The girl points to a nearby tree and Sungyeol spots the kite hanging on the branches. It isn’t that high, at least for him but there’s no way the girl is able to reach it. She tugs on his hand and pulls him to the tree. Sungyeol grabs the kite easily with a jump and the audience standing around cheer for him. He gets a surprise peck on his cheek as he hands the kite to the girl. Sungyeol walks back to the bridge and finds Sunggyu looking at him amusingly.

 

Think you just got yourself an admirer. Too bad for you though, you need to wait at least ten years for your princess to grow up. Ha ha ha, how old is she? Five? I guess probably another fifteen years then!

 

Sunggyu laughs at his own joke as he continues across the bridge and heads towards their home direction, leaving behind the younger who is slightly frustrated over his wasted chance. Sungyeol quickly catches up with a few long steps while thinking to himself. There is still some distance to cover before reaching home, he will make sure to find another opportunity. They soon reach the beach where they had spent an afternoon building sand castle. Sungyeol decides this is his chance, you can’t possibly get a more perfect place than this.

 

Hyung, it’s still early. Why don’t we have a seat here and enjoy the breeze?

 

Sure. Let’s sit over there. Wait, what’s on the bench? Is that a squirrel?

 

Squirrel? Where? I always wanted one as a pet. Oh, I see it! Hi, little one, wait for me. I’m going to take you home!

 

Sungyeol chases after the small animal who has dashed off, alerted by sounds of an approaching human. Sunggyu watches the younger goes after the squirrel and smiles fondly. So much for sitting down. The older walks briskly in the direction of the chase, following the path Sungyeol has taken. It took some time, but he finally spots the younger staring up a tree with a pouting expression. He strolls over and pats the younger’s head, willing him to cheer up.  

 

Yeollie, you wouldn’t want to bring the little one home. Imagine separating it with its family. It would be really sad to be apart from your love ones right?

 

Pondering over the older words for a while, Sungyeol nods and take a last wistful look up the tree. Sunggyu is right, loves one shouldn’t be separated. Speaking of love ones, Sungyeol racks his brain, quite sure he has forgotten something important along that line.

 

Ahhhhhh …

 

Sunggyu jumps at the sudden shrieking and stares alarmingly at Sungyeol. The younger looks fluster while mumbling to himself. He manages to grab hold of the younger before Sungyeol knocks his head against the tree.

 

Hey, what are you doing! You are going to hurt yourself. Do you really want to bring the squirrel home so much?

 

It’s not that! I wanted to … I was trying … forget it. I’m an idiot.

 

Sungyeol pulls away from Sunggyu and walks off sullenly. The older glances up the tree and images of him breaking his neck pop up in his head. No, he really shouldn’t climb up the tree and go after the squirrel. He will have to think of other ways to cheer up the younger. The older walks silently beside Sungyeol, thinking hard. They soon reach the road junction, their neighbourhood is just over the road. The green man on the traffic light start blinking as they arrive at the pavement. Sunggyu grabs the younger’s hand and brings the still sulking male safely over. He leads Sungyeol along while the younger remains in his own world.

 

Yeollie …

 

The younger finally looks at him with a dejected expression.

 

Yeollie, are you still upset over the little one? Remember you always said I look like a hamster?

 

Sungyeol shakes and nods his head. Sunggyu doesn’t get it. Does the younger remember or not? He decides to just continue.

 

I was thinking …  hamster and squirrel look quite alike, right?

 

The younger nods his head again but this time, his expression brightens a bit. Sunggyu pulls up their entwined hands.

 

Would you like to take me home instead?

 


 

I finally completed this Gyuyeol story!!! Sorry it took so long. Thanks for being patient with me.

To the kind souls who have subscribed, upvoted and commented, million thanks to you for supporting this not so popular otp story :)