Light in my eyes

Three bridges and a traffic light home

 

Sungyeol taps his legs absently as he waits for the bus to arrive. Sunggyu has text him fifteen minutes ago saying he has boarded the bus from school and is on his way. He has been following the elder’s habit of walking home after school from the beach park. Every day, they will wait for each other at a bench near the bus stop and then make their way home which they discover, happens to be quite near to each other.

 

Depending on their timetable, some days you will find Sunggyu on the bench listening to his music, maybe napping a little at the same time. On other days, Sungyeol will be the one waiting but most of the time, he won’t be sitting quietly on the bench. Sunggyu has come to expect to always find the younger engaged in some form of weird activity. Sungyeol has once tried to climb up a tree because he spotted some nestlings. He felt that they might be lonely and he could accompany them while he waited for Sunggyu. Of course that earned him an earful from Sunggyu since the elder almost suffered a heart attack when he saw the younger dangling dangerously on the branches.  But Sungyeol never ventures far, he finds his entertainment in the nearby areas so that Sunggyu can spot him easily when he arrives.

 

But today, Sungyeol just waits at the bench with no thoughts of engaging in other activities. His mind is busy rehearsing what he wants to say to Sunggyu later. Although they only met each other a few months back, the two of them get along really well despite the differences in their character. Just last week, his friends have complained that he is abandoning their friendship since Sungyeol has been spending all his free time with Sunggyu recently. They said he’s behaving like a lovesick schoolboy. Of course he rebuts their accusation right away but the thought keeps coming back to his mind when he is home that night. Sungyeol can’t help but think there might be some truth in what his friends have mentioned. He has enjoyed spending time with Sunggyu, maybe a bit too much. But does that meant that he likes Sunggyu more than mere friends?

 

Sungyeol isn’t really sure what it means to be in love since he doesn’t have much experience in the field. He once had a crush in middle school but the classmate transferred school in mid semester. He was back to his usual self after being sad for only three days so basically, that doesn’t count as valid experience. Sungyeol thinks he needs some expert help in this matter. He searches online and finds a checklist which supposes to tell him whether he is in love. Some of the questions seem really random but there are a few that catches his attention. Sungyeol blushes slightly as he recalls those questions. He admits he might have found everything Sunggyu does is cute in his eyes, even when the older is lecturing him on his unruly behaviours. Ahem … he might have also stared at Sunggyu’s lips and wondered do they feel as soft as he had imagined in his mind.

 

Needless to say, after going through the checklist, Sungyeol concludes he likes Sunggyu, maybe not as deep as love yet since he thinks love is a very profound matter, but definitely very much. Sungyeol is pretty sure Sunggyu likes him also but he wonders is it the same kind of love like he has for the older. Of course he hopes the feelings are mutual and the only way to know is to ask Sunggyu himself. That’s what he is going to do today when he meets Sunggyu. That’s the reason he is now sitting on the bench working his brain, trying to figure out how to broach the matter to the older later, although nothing concrete is in his mind at the moment. Sungyeol decides he will just go with the flow and grab the best chance during their walk home. He is confident it can’t be that difficult for a smart person like himself.

 

The time on his watch signals Sunggyu’s arrival any minute and he makes a last check on his appearance. Sungyeol tries to neaten his tousled hair, the constant ruffling for the past twenty minutes has messed up the perfectly set hair he purposely done up after school. He gives up after a while though, groaning as the wind in the park goes against his will, making his task impossible. He consoles himself that the older has seen him in worse state than messy hair. Sunggyu doesn’t mind his unkempt appearance, the older usually only giggles at his dishevel state and kindly helps him to straighten up. 

 

The distinct sound of loud engine catches his attention. Sungyeol turns and sees the bus makes its way to the bus stop, stopping briefly to let the passengers alight and picks up new ones. He immediately spots Sunggyu from his seat as the bus moves away and he waves enthusiastically. The older looks slightly surprise to see him and walks briskly over. Before Sungyeol can say anything, Sunggyu places his palm gently on the younger’s forehead. Sungyeol blushes slightly at the contact and feels his face heating up.

 

Yeollie, are you feeling unwell? You don’t have a fever though but your face is a bit flush. Are you in pain? Or did you hurt yourself? Is it your arms or the legs?

 

It takes him a while to process the questions. His mind is busy trying to calm the butterflies that have appear in his stomach, courtesy from the older who is checking and feeling him up close. Sungyeol stands up and makes a 360 degrees turn, chuckling as he makes the round.

 

Hyung, I’m fine. Why would you think I’m sick?

 

Really? Then why aren’t you playing somewhere? I was worried when I saw you sitting here.

 

Hey, I don’t only know how to play, okay? I’m not a kid! Anyway, were you really worried about me? Do you care a lot for me?

 

He does not received any response though.

 

Hyung? Hyung!

 

Sunggyu clears his throat to hide his embarrassment. He was mesmerized by the earnest eyes that were looking at him and had space out for a few seconds. He smiles and ruffles the younger already messy hair.

 

Of course I care about you. Since you are okay, let’s head home.

 


 

My nose has grown longer, I know. Sorry for not finishing this chapter as promised weeks ago. Kind of embarrassed to admit I might be experiencing writer's block. It should be a condition for season writers right? And not a novice like me.

I'm working on the next chapter which should be the last. Hopefully, it doesn't take this long again.

As usual, please leave me some comments. Thanks!

@ haniefinite : Sorry for the confusion. I just find "..." a bit too troublesome. Blame it on my laziness :p

@ hotterthanasummer : That's exactly how I think Sungyeol is in real life :)

ps : There's seems to be more real life interactions between Gyu & Yeollie recently. I'm very much enjoying it ^.^