Wind against my face

Three bridges and a traffic light home

 

Sunggyu alights at the bus stop, the last one before the bus makes the return trip. It’s a few stops away from his home but he has been purposely travelling the extra distance for the past month. His mum has been nagging him for his lack of exercise, always lazing in the house after school and even on weekends. He has tried to explain his case to his mum but he has never win any argument against his mother. How can you win if your mother looks at you with watery eyes every time you are debating an issue? He has long given up, as long as his mum is happy, he’s willing to make some sacrifices.

 

Thus, this is how he ended up here. The bus stops at this beach park which is near his house. Every day after school, he will walk the three plus kilometers from the park back to his home. It’s the best thing he can do for exercise, he really doesn’t see himself sweating it out under the sun playing basketball or any other sport. The walk takes him through the park and he’s able to walk leisurely since the place is not crowded during weekdays. He has find the walk pretty boring in the beginning but has come to appreciate the soft winds blowing against his face. Plus, he has music to keep him company and it’s enough to keep him happy for his long walk home.

 

Sunggyu makes his way across the bridge that’s on top of a small stream leading to the sea. Over at the side of the bridge is a big grass patch where children often gathered. It’s the perfect spot for flying kites. He sometimes stops here to check out the colorful pieces, in all sorts of shapes and characters, flying high in the sky. A peaceful scene he rather enjoy. But today, the peace and quiet is soon broken by loud yelping.

 

Fly! Come on, just fly! Why aren’t you flying up? I’m going to burn you if you insist to stay down here. I’m serious, you better believe me!

 

Sunggyu looks at the lanky guy who’s threatening the kite in his hand. He is easily spotted, since the guy towered over the kids around him. He has doe eyes and chubby cheeks, Sunggyu thinks he looks kind of cute, especially with his present behaviour. The guy, now seemingly decided that threatening is not going to work on his kite, tries sweet talking.

 

Hey, you know, I was only joking just now. Why would I burn you right? Don’t you want to go up there and find your friends? I’m sure they will be very interested to know you. You have to help me here, the kids are laughing at me because I can’t get you into the sky.

 

He can’t help but laugh at the one who’s having a monologue with his kite. Sunggyu is pretty sure the kids are laughing at his weird behaviour and not his kite flying skills. Convinced that he has reached an understanding with his kite buddy, the guy once again tries his luck. Sunggyu watches him runs frantically up and down the area, swinging his kite in all directions, trying all his might to get it into the air. Few minutes later, he slumps down on the grass, thrashing his hands and legs wildly, making all kinds of disgruntled sounds.

 

Why? Why? Why isn’t it flying?

 

Do you need help?

 

Sunggyu isn’t sure what makes him approach the lanky guy. He just doesn’t like the dejected look on the face. Before his conscious mind decides what to do, he is already standing beside the guy, offering to help. But it’s okay, since the guy instantly brightens up and looks eagerly at him.

 

Are you an expert? Can you get my kite flying high? I want it to be the highest one! Can you do it? Please say you can do it!

 

Sunggyu chuckles at the rapid words that are coming out of the guy’s mouth.

 

I’m no expert but I think I can help you to get your kite at least into the sky. Is that okay with you?

 

He ponders for a few seconds and flashes Sunggyu a big smile.

 

Yea, that will do!

 

So for the next ten minutes or so, Sunggyu guides him on the correct way to fly a kite and soon the kite is flying among the others.

 

It’s flying! My kite is flying! Watch out, you kids, my kite is going to beat all yours and be the highest one!

 

Of course that didn’t happen but it is still fun for Sunggyu to watch the guy pitting himself against a group of kids. Music suddenly sounds from his pocket and he answers the incoming call.

 

Hi mum, yes, I’m on my way. Of course I didn’t lose my way, I’m just watching the kids in the park flying kites. I will be home soon. Bye.

 

Sunggyu looks at the group having fun at the other far end of the field. He decides not to interrupt the guy who is enjoying himself. He takes a last look before he walks back onto the bridge, ready to make his way home.

 

Hey there! Wait up! Are you leaving?

 

Sunggyu turns around to look at the guy who’s breathing slightly heavily after running to catch up with him.

 

Yes, I need to be home. My family is waiting for me to start dinner.

 

Sunggyu admits with slight regret, he would have stay on if he didn’t need to rush home.

 

Thanks for helping me. I’m Sungyeol. What’s your name?

 

I’m Sunggyu. And no problem, it’s my pleasure to be some help.

 


 

I'm suppose to work on another story. How did I end up here? Well, since I'm already here, I hope you have enjoy reading this first chapter.

Big thanks for the precious few who has subscribed before the first chapter is out.

I appreciate all comments :)