Six

You, I Cherish
Please log in to read the full chapter
  Six || Hybrid's Paradise

 

 

It was a wonderland for hybrids, a place filled with a variety of things made exclusively for them; from toys to food, to even clothes and furniture. Chanyeol was completely awestruck the moment he had entered the mall-like structure, speechless as he looked around the various stores that sold specific items; from cheap non-branded ones to even high-end luxury.

 

Jongin couldn’t help the laugh that escaped him when he turned around to see Chanyeol gaping as he walked. It was too comical to witness a tall lanky man but with a child’s expression. “Welcome to Hybrid’s Paradise?” he says.

 

“Wow,” was all Chanyeol could utter. He honestly did not know how to feel or what to think.

 

The Hybrid’s Paradise, as the shopping center was named, looked just like an average mall – with a chain of stores, food areas and stalls, and even a little cinema – all rolled into one. Yet it also resembled a pet shop, only made humongous, with the kind of things found inside. It was a lovely place, if Chanyeol were asked his impression. There was even a beautiful fountain placed at the center plaza, shooting up water as high as the third and last floor and come back down with a loud splash. The plaza’s ceiling made of glass for the bright sun to shine down its ray.

 

There weren’t many people, perhaps it was the time they chose in the early morning when the place had just opened. Humans and hybrids alike walked around the premises, in and out of shops. There were smiles on their faces, especially the hybrids that pranced their way down the hallways as Chanyeol observed; that even though they were collard, they were still enjoying their bit of freedom with their masters trailing behind.

 

All seemed innocent and peaceful, Chanyeol felt a bit lighthearted at that, until he noticed a section with a name plated in cursive red letters placed in between the first and second floors.

 

“Master’s Paradise?” Chanyeol read out loud.

 

“Uh, yeah. For us.. well, full humans.” Jongin says rather cautiously.

 

Down the hallway of said area Chanyeol noticed an odd place. Entering the section he walked slowly to it, like he was trying to understand the situation, until he was greeted by another set of bolded letters that decorated its wide entrance, ‘Hybrid Adoption Center’. And Chanyeol’s jaw dropped at the sight. Inside, there were a few hybrids of mostly young ages, playing to their hearts content at the playground that was conveniently set up just behind the glass walls, something achingly similar to how animals were displayed in pet shops.

 

From there, Chanyeol notices the place beside it, yet another set of bolded letters that read ‘Hybrid’s Daycare’.

 

Everywhere Chanyeol looked in the wide hallway of the ‘Master’s Paradise’ were strict distinctions of the difference between an average human and a hybrid. He wanted to vomit as the realization sunk in in the pit of his stomach – disgust morphing in his face at the reality that slapped him for the thousandth time.

 

The Hybrid’s Paradise is the biggest shopping center in the district made specifically for hybrids. Chanyeol knew enough to know that an adoption center also existed alongside it. But because he never had any reason to go inside (he was merely a volunteer for hybrid rescue, he would reason), he knew nothing of its interiors. He may have been inside shops, small quaint places in the corner of streets, but the difference was too vast it left Chanyeol utterly wordless.

 

 

This 'paradise' was only a mask to the truth.

 

 

“This is where my dad bought Kyungsoo.” Jongin said. He gave a little girl a smile who stood inside with hands pressed against the glass, big innocent eyes staring at them in wonder with her bunny ears standing straight atop her head. “He was bought as a gift for my 18th birthday because I wished for one, because I envied my friends who had their own.”

 

The little girl was pulled back to the playground by a friend who was half-squirrel, small pointy ears poking out of her dirty blonde hair and a bushy tail curled behind her. When she too noticed the two men standing outside of the glass, she waved and gave them a sweet toothy grin before they both disappeared amongst the plastic play tubes. Chanyeol felt his heart break at the innocence caged inside.

 

“I used to believe they were nothing but.. pets, even if they were more human physically than their animal counterparts. My friends treated them as no more but playthings. Even their actual pets were treated better.” Jongin sighs and shakes his head, like the memory was too painful to remember, before he continued. “Then I was given Kyungsoo, and I learned that he was in no doubt just as human as we are.”

 

Chanyeol looked away from the glass windows; distraught by the sudden thought of where Baekhyun could have come from – where he was born, where he was raised, and where he was bought. He knew none of that, and he now desperately wanted to know. Baekhyun’s background, his history, his own story.

 

“C’mon,” Jongin disrupts his thoughts, patting his shoulder as he went back towards the plaza they had come from. “We’re here for something else.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Inside a collar shop was where Jongin guided them straight to, one that was situated in the more luxurious end of the mall. Chanyeol was left awestruck for the second time. He never imagined there could be such a huge variety of nothing but collars and leashes.

 

“Welcome, what may I help you with, gentlemen?” A young salesclerk appeared after they entered to assist them.

 

“We’d just like to look around first,” Jongin spoke, politely shooing the lady away. When he turned around towards his friend, he had to breathe a heavy sigh.

 

Disgust was written all over Chanyeol’s face as he looked around. There was no awe of great wonder, but awe of disbelief and regret. Quite a contrast to the usual expression expected, where a master would be more than excited to buy a fashionable accessory for their hybrid. And Jongin understood, a collar meant more to Chanyeol than a piece of jewelry-like worn by a half-human.

 

There were probably a hundred and so more designs of collars and leashes. The reasonable priced ones hung on the walls, of various colors and lengths, from simple to even extravagant looking blings. A few expensive collars were displayed in glass boxes placed on top of velvet red pillows, light shining the stones and rocks of crystals embellished on them, their brand names prettily engraved.

 

Hybrid owners would mostly squeal in delight, especially those who are rich, more than glad to spend a fortune over such accessory. Hybrids themselves would drool over such pieces, more than joyed to wear it around their necks and show it off for all to see. But to Chanyeol, it was different. For no matter how high end the materials were used or how charming they looked, no matter how many stones there were or how golden it was, they all symbolized one thing – hybrids were lower than humans.

 

“I know what you’re thinking,” Jongin tells him. “But we have no choice.”

 

“I can’t do this,” Chanyeol shook his head. “I don’t want Baekhyun wearing a collar, especially a leash. I don’t care how pretty they are or how expensive or how ing known the brand is. I don’t want him wearing any of this.” He added with spite, walking out of the collar shop.

 

“You know I don’t want the same thing.” Jongin follows him, waving away the lady that there was nothing to see. Once outside, he rashly grabbed Chanyeol’s arm to stop him. “You know I never wanted this for Kyungsoo either. But you, of all people, Chanyeol, should know the importance of a hybrid’s collar.”

 

“No.” Chanyeol continued to shake his head adamantly, strong denial on his lips. “No no no—there are hybrids who walk the streets without wearing one, Baekhyun can just be the same.”

 

“But Baekhyun is not the same.” Jongin looked into Chanyeol’s eyes that were full of fear and regret, letting go of his arm with a sigh. “Baekhyun has yet to learn to be independent. He has yet to learn to take care of himself more so protect himself. And even if he can, you know how dangerous it is for a hybrid to walk the streets without a collar on their necks.”

 

“But I’ve seen hybrids without collars. You’ve seen them too!” Chanyeol tried to reason.

 

Jongin felt sorry, Chanyeol was going mad with the subject of putting a collar around Baekhyun’s neck. But even if he felt the same, of wanting nothing but freedom for the young hybrid, he knew it wasn’t the right decision.

“Where though? Where have you seen hybrids without collars?” he says with a tone rising yet remained low, cautious of catching any attention. “The Shelter? The Shelter that stands in the only city that is fighting against hybrid cruelty and was brave enough to put them under protection? A place an hour away from where we live.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter